Since people love to compare McFadden to Peterson

Dmac doesn't handle contact as well as Peterson...fact.

Peterson doesn't run as well as McFadden...either burst or top end speed...fact.

Dmac has less of an injury history, in a tougher league, than AP...fact.

Dmac is a more fluid athlete, and a better reciever than AP...fact.

They are different backs...I don't think anyone can definitively say which is better....all that "contact runner" crap is nice...but AP takes contact better than LT in his prime...and I'd still take LT in his prime over Peterson......Ditto for Dickerson and Simpson...just because he isn't the same type of back as AP doesn't mean he isn't one of the best TB prospects in the last 20 years.......

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bigduke633 (2/27/2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKQuRmOth8

Plenty of stiff arm and power on this one.

I just watched that whole video, which had a ton of his highlights...and he broke all of 3 tackles, 2 of which came on 1 run.

Every other highlight is of him bouncing it outside and beating everyone to the corner.

You cant beat the DE's to the corner in pro football, let alone the whole team.

That highlight video just reaffirmed why we dont need him...he is Jerious Norwood without the moves, but can pass a football for a trickplay 5 times a season.

McFadden is more of a glider, while Peterson is a violent attacker type. Both types of runners have success in the NFL. We don't have to have someone that will crash into the defense every play, he does need to be able to convert short-yardage, and McFadden can do that as well as anyone, simply because he has outstanding vision and he's not afraid to bang heads with someone if he's trying to take McFadden's hole, and he needs to be able to take pressure off of the quarterback, make the PA a viable and dangerous option by being able to run the ball 25 times a game and be effective the entire time, and McFadden does that better than anyone in college football.

statzondeck (2/27/2008)
2001: Vick won't be able to run in the NFL like he did in college. :Whistling:

That runningback was playing Quaterback - it's different when you are playing runningback at runningback

McFadden is no faster or quicker than Bush and I have seen many backs that could run through, around and past people in college and get booyah'd in the NFL

Same Ol Falcons (2/27/2008)
somecut8 (2/27/2008)

Speed was impressive but just saw average power.

Peterson has a refusal to fall down just like Barber III - they both remind me of my favorite RB of all time

There are no Earl Campbell's in this year's draft. However, we could

get Barber, if McFadden is available at 3.

We don't see a lot of College Football in Australia, so a while back I started looking at McFadden on youtube. I hardly even saw him get touched. He was just breezing through massive holes and outsprinting defenders.

I'm starting to hope we trade down and pick up Mendenhall. The guy is still fast but he is huge. That would complement Jerious better.

Richard Nixon (2/27/2008)
McFadden is more of a glider, while Peterson is a violent attacker type.

The way McFadden runs the ball reminds me of the way Andruw Jones plays centerfield. His talent is so far above and beyond the norm that he makes it seem effortless. He was born to be a dominant running back. It's that simple.

jidady (2/27/2008)
McFadden is more of a glider, while Peterson is a violent attacker type.

The way McFadden runs the ball reminds me of the way Andruw Jones plays centerfield. His talent is so far above and beyond the norm that he makes it seem effortless. He was born to be a dominant running back. It's that simple.

Absolutely true, he's an incredible prospect.

Darren McFadden has a similar running style as Adrian Peterson (which isn't a good thing). They both run upright, which is an invitation to punishment by opposing LBs and DBs. Adrian Peterson has a totally different build than McFadden. I wouldn't mind if we drafted McFadden, but Dorsey, Ellis, and Both Longs would be better selections IMO. McFadden played in a system that rotated back, and with McFadden and Norwood we could do the same. McFadden needs develope lower body strength, too.

bush (2/27/2008)
Darren McFadden has a similar running style as Adrian Peterson (which isn't a good thing). They both run upright, which is an invitation to punishment by opposing LBs and DBs. Adrian Peterson has a totally different build than McFadden. I wouldn't mind if we drafted McFadden, but Dorsey, Ellis, and Both Longs would be better selections IMO. McFadden played in a system that rotated back, and with McFadden and Norwood we could do the same. McFadden needs develope lower body strength, too.

He doesn't take as many direct shots, though, he usually lands right and doesn't open himself up to violent hits. Thankfully, he has been very durable with a heavy workload, 325 carries last year.

bush (2/27/2008)

He doesn't take as many direct shots, though, he usually lands right and doesn't open himself up to violent hits. Thankfully, he has been very durable with a heavy workload, 325 carries last year.

Very true, but the NFL is a totally different ball game.

bush (2/27/2008)
bush (2/27/2008)

Very true, but the NFL is a totally different ball game.

He can take it, I'd bet on him to be able to handle a big workload above any running back to enter the draft in a long time.

I know I will get lynched for saying this, but they are both talented backs, and they are both greatly over-rated.

McFadden comes from a gimmicky offense where he benifited from playing quarterback or he got extra yards because of trick plays. He will not work as power back in the NFL.

Peterson had some good stats this year but he is injury prone, and as soon as teams started game-planning for him he started to get shut down more often then he had huge games, i.e. towards the end of the season before he got hurt. Look at the game against SF where he had...what?...two yards?

Running backs are a dime a dozen and players like LaDanian Tomlinson only come around so often. I see Peterson and McFadden as guys who will come in and fizzle, and then burn out. When that happens the ESPN hype machine will disband them before you can say "Reggie Bush".

Just IMO.

Comparing Mcfadden and Peterson is like comparing apples and oranges. They have two different running styles. I believe both are extremely gifted players but people should'nt compare the way they play. AP has more of a jim brown type running style :powerful & violent,DMC has more of an eric dickerson type style: upright balanced runner & graceful strider. No doubt about it they both can get the job done.

Joshua Affonso (2/27/2008)
I know I will get lynched for saying this, but they are both talented backs, and they are both greatly over-rated.

McFadden comes from a gimmicky offense where he benifited from playing quarterback or he got extra yards because of trick plays. He will not work as power back in the NFL.

Peterson had some good stats this year but he is injury prone, and as soon as teams started game-planning for him he started to get shut down more often then he had huge games, i.e. towards the end of the season before he got hurt. Look at the game against SF where he had...what?...two yards?

Running backs are a dime a dozen and players like LaDanian Tomlinson only come around so often. I see Peterson and McFadden as guys who will come in and fizzle, and then burn out. When that happens the ESPN hype machine will disband them before you can say "Reggie Bush".

Just IMO.

This is a common and deeply flawed misconception. The "wildcat" formation was a small part of Arkansas's offense, albiet the most explosive and unpredictable part, and a part in which many of McFadden's highlights come from. It is neither the base formation nor anything close to it, used only on a handful of occasions. Arkansas's offense does have other gimmick plays, but these were mostly to the benefit of Felix Jones, who greatly benefited from defenses that believed McFadden still had the ball.

AP is a "violent" runner as it is usually put. He is by all accounts unique. I've never seen his style EVER before and I do mean EVER. McFadden is a finesse runner and I've seen runners like him a few times. Robert Smith, Marshall Faulk, Chester Taylor, Jerious Norwood to a lesser extent. They can't be compared. More like AP in this draft would be Stewart and Mendenhall. Christian Okoye comes to mind as well (for 250lbs he was pretty fast with a sub 4.4)