Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vdclover

?? for anyone who thinks we should pass on Ryan

111 posts in this topic

you keep changing the measuring tool to fit what you want.

you say he threw too many INTs, well he had the same int ratio through college as peyton manning, who may be the best qb ever.

grendel (2/27/2008)
bertr9 (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)

What was his TD / INT ratio? Over 3 to 1 his senior year. Matt Ryan's is around 1.5.

Brohm plays in a conference that doesn't play defense. The one team that did (South Florida) made him look like a high schooler. So...

USF is a helluva lot better than ARMY

but they aren't in VTs league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1Kl-5YZgY

grendel (2/27/2008)
bertr9 (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)

What was his TD / INT ratio? Over 3 to 1 his senior year. Matt Ryan's is around 1.5.

Brohm plays in a conference that doesn't play defense. The one team that did (South Florida) made him look like a high schooler. So...

Weiner is a better LT than Harrington is a QB.

Now I too like Long more than Ryan, but ther bottom line is right now we need a QB bad, and it is a QB driven league.

I would say QB is definately our biggest need, and if there was a Carson Palmer or Peyton Manning in this draft the ONLY thinkg stopping us from moving to #1 to get him would be the Dolphins wanting the same guy....

grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)

you say he threw too many INTs, well he had the same int ratio through college as peyton manning, who may be the best qb ever.

He didn't have the same ratio. The ratio is TD/INT.

Basic measurements for QB play:

TD / INT ration

Yards per attempt

Completion percentage

all of those show Matt Ryan to be a sub-standard prospect

completion pct? he had virtually the same completion pct his junior and senior year that peyton manning did.

you also insisted he threw too many INTs. he threw the same number of INTs per pass attempt in college that peyton manning did. so if ryan throws too many INTs so did peyton.

you keep changing the measuring stick to suit what you want.

grendel (2/27/2008)
1989fan (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)
bertr9 (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)

Weiner is a better LT than Harrington is a QB.

Now I too like Long more than Ryan, but ther bottom line is right now we need a QB bad, and it is a QB driven league.

I would say QB is definately our biggest need, and if there was a Carson Palmer or Peyton Manning in this draft the ONLY thinkg stopping us from moving to #1 to get him would be the Dolphins wanting the same guy....

And I want a QB, just not the guy anointed by Mike Mayock. Brohm, Henne, or Flacco would be much better choices, IMO. If it will make Joremari and his stats feel better, we can move into the end of round 1 to get one.

you are the one hung up on stats. and how on earth do you, on the same page nonetheless, bring up ryan's army game and endorse a guy that with a TON of talent surrounding him lost to Appalachian state?

you are being inconsistant with your arguement. and you want to talk about proving stuff, what has flacco really proven to anyone? that he couldn't make it a pitt?

grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)
grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)

He didn't have the same ratio. The ratio is TD/INT.

Basic measurements for QB play:

TD / INT ration

Yards per attempt

Completion percentage

all of those show Matt Ryan to be a sub-standard prospect

completion pct? he had virtually the same completion pct his junior and senior year that peyton manning did.

you also insisted he threw too many INTs. he threw the same number of INTs per pass attempt in college that peyton manning did. so if ryan throws too many INTs so did peyton.

you keep changing the measuring stick to suit what you want.

I never threw out INTs as a percentage of attempts as a measuring stick. You could keep that down by just throwing the ball at the ground or always checking down to a 3 yard route. That's why it's not used as a measurement of QB efficiency.

so now it's efficiency? ryan had the same efficiency as jay cutler, who would have been a top 10 pick had he not been in the same draft as vince young and matt leinart.

The whole argument is worthless. Let's just spend our pick on a Qb becuase stats from the last 50 years say you spend your 1st rounder on a Qb.

Even still, Adam Shefer has already stated we ARENT going to spend a first rounder on a Qb, period but you can still argue about it.

*Gets out popcorn*

grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)

so now it's efficiency? ryan had the same efficiency as jay cutler, who would have been a top 10 pick had he not been in the same draft as vince young and matt leinart.

I told you my 3 measurements. For some reason you seem to be intentionally obtuse.

no you didn't you have constantly said he throws too many INTs.

This thread is awesome! Grendel just does not like Ryan. I can respect that. However, I don't like that fact that no matter what good points anybody brings up about Ryan, they are thrown out by this guy. He has stated the VT win should not count b/c VT basically gave up and that many of Ryan s passes should have been picked.

I know this, Ryan s numbers are not fiction. He did have a signature win on the big stage to keep his team undefeated and in the hunt. He did throw for a ton of yards and a ton of TD. Now he also threw more INTs than you would like. However, I believe that if he had better receivers and played in a more balanced offensive system, the TD to INT ratio would be better.

With regards to Mayock, I don t even pay him any attention. He has not been doing it long enough as far as I'm concerned. I do my own mocks and watch as much college football as possible. Ryan is the top QB prospect that will end up going in the top 15. I don't see him getting past the Lions if Miami, Atlanta, Kansas City, Baltimore, Carolina and Chicago pass on him. I would be more that pleased if Atlanta ended up with him.

Falcons will have more inside access to Ryan and those that know him than I can ever dream of. If they deem him worthy of #3 overall, who am I to say it s a mistake.

grendel (2/27/2008)
joremari (2/27/2008)
and you say i am the one hung up on stats

So how do you measure who's good or not? Win loss record? Let's take Matt Flynn in the 1st round!

stats are important, but not to the degree that you are taking them.

you have to look at stats, surrounding talent, experience in a pro-style offense, wins, intangibles, physical attributes.

there are a ton of stuff used to evaluate talent. if it was just stats like you say we wouldn't even have a combine.