Falcons Draft 2008

Vince

Falcon Building for the Future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The draft below not only allows the Falcons to make some moves in the future with aging players and frees up a lot of cap space.

First of all let me start off by trading the 3rd overall draft pick to the Cowboys for there two first round draft pick #22 and #29. Even thou I would love to see McFadden in a Falcons jersey, one player will not make this team a true contender.

With the #22 pick I will pick up

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 183.

40 Time: 4.37.

Projected Round: Top 15 Pick

He's tall and runs a 4.3. Excluding Sedrick Ellis, Rodgers-Cromartie made the most money at the Senior Bowl, moving himself into the Top 15.

A tall corner who runs a 4.3 is pretty rare. Getting one that picks off six passes in a season is like finding the Loch Ness Monster.

If the Falcons can work out a deal with the Giants for De Angelo Hall for there first round draft pick #31 this with give the Falcon three first round draft picks and options to trade those down for multiple picks in the second and third round to fix multiple areas. Cromartie would be an awesome replacement if not upgrade.

With the #29 pick the Falcons should consider

James Hardy, Indiana

Height: 6-5. Weight: 217.

Projected 40 Time: 4.53.

Combine 40 Time: 4.47.

Vertical: . Broad 10-5

Projected Round: 1-2

James Hardy will be chosen in the first 40 picks. His improved 40 time is awesome at his size.

I know what you are think another wide receive in the first round. Yes Hardy gives the Falcon a true big receiver threat one the have not had in years. With a young quarterback he will need as many weapons as possible.

With the #31 pick the Falcons should consider trading down with a team who have multiple picks in the early rounds and need to make a big splash in the draft. Ideally the Bills fit this scenario. If the Falcons can somehow trade a first round draft pick for one second round #42 and one or two third round picks #72 & #73. This move gives the Falcons three picks in the second and third rounds that they can use to fix holes in the defense and on the offensive line. (Wishful thinking)

With the #38 pick the Falcon should consider

Dre Moore, Maryland

Height: 6-4. Weight: 307.

40 Time: 4.82.

Projected Round: 2

Dre Moore played out of his mind against West Virginia. Steve Slaton simply couldn't run in Moore's direction, as the senior defensive tackle was in the Mountaineers' backfield the majority of the plays. He really improved his draft stock.

That 4.82 is not a misprint. Moore, who excels at stopping the run and getting to the quarterback, is a workout warrior. He'll bench 225 pounds at least 30 times. He has also notched a 34-inch vertical in the past. An expected, excellent combine may get Moore into the first round.

This is a much need pick for the run defense it was a reason the Falcon got rid of Rod Coleman.

*With the #42 (Only if they can manage a trade with the Bills for the #31) pick the Falcons must address the quarterback situation.

Joe Flacco, Delaware

Height: 6-6. Weight: 236.

Projected 40 Time: 4.86.

Combine 40 Time: 4.78.

Hand Size: 9 5/8.

Projected Round: 2-3

No surprise that Joe Flacco missed his first two passes at the combine. There's no question he has the strongest arm in this draft class, but I've always been concerned with his accuracy and pocket awareness. Still, the upside is tremendous here

That s right I am on the ban wagon!! Even thou I would give him a clipboard for at least a year he will be penciled in for the 2009 starter depending on how Chris Redman performs. With the development of Roddy White, Laurant Robinson and a threat in Hardy from the first round the Falcon will finally a respectable passing attack offense.

With the #49 pick the Falcons can go for best player on the board for need. My thoughts would be

Ezra Butler, Nevada

Height: 6-2. Weight: 248.

40 Time: 4.48.

Ezra Butler, who runs an incredible 40 for his size, accumulated seven sacks in 2006. He had 5.5 in 2005.

This pick allows the Falcons to move Stephan Nicholas to the MLB position as Brookings replacement in 2009.

With the #69 pick the Falcons again can afford to go for best player on the board for need. Again my thoughts are on the defense side.

Dwight Lowery, San Jose State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 185.

40 Time: 4.38.

Projected Round: 3

An interception machine, Dwight Lowery led the nation with nine picks in 2006 after registering 13 in 15 games at a Junior College.

I know he is listed as a defensive back but mark my words this guy is a free safety. With proper coaching the Falcons can have a top notch ball hawking secondary! Finally we can say goodbye to Crooker who always seem to be in the wrong place every time.

With the #72 (Only if they can manage a trade with the Bills for the #31) pick the Falcons might want to consider addressing the offense line to protect out new franchise quarterback. My thoughts

John Greco, Toledo

Height: 6-5. Weight: 305.

Projected 40 Time: 5.20.

Combine 40 Time: 5.31.

Benchx225: 30.

Projected Round: 3

John Greco, who can play four positions on the offensive line, has been named first-team All-MAC two years in a row.

Greco gives the Falcons versatility & options on the line with to pick up another offensive lineman later on in the draft.

With the #73 (Only if they can manage a trade with the Bills for the #31) pick the Falcons should consider

Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 231.

40 Time: 4.49.

A monstrous safety, Josh Barrett is one of the top defensive backs in the Pac 10. He started every game in 2006, notching three picks and 82 tackles.

Lawyer Milloy is almost 100 and we need his replacement ready for 2009. Look at the size and speed of this guy! With three possible shutdown corners on already on the field the Falcons need and enforcer to protect the middle and help run support. Ranked 29 out of 32 teams last year! Not to mention he also appears to be the type of safety that Coach Smith loves hard hitting big guys!

Now that it is Day 2 on the draft the Falcons were able to address key areas on the defense with DT, CB, FS, SS & OLB.

With the #100 pick the Falcons still could use a big time run stopper on the defense line.

Frank Okam, Texas

Height: 6-5. Weight: 320.

40 Time: 5.00.

Projected Round: 3-4

Frank Okam's bread and butter is his ability to stop the run, but don't take that to mean he's a one-dimensional defensive tackle.

I know in recent weeks this guys stock has dropped in the weeks leading up to the combine but this is a steal for a day two pick. A couple months this guy was slated to be the second DT picked. We just need him to pick up blocks so our play makers can make place and an occasional sack or two.

With the #131 pick the Falcons need more help on the line

Chris McDuffie, Clemson

Height: 6-5. Weight: 330.

Projected 40 Time: 5.21.

Combine 40 Time: Did not run.

Benchx225: 29.

Projected Round: 5

Chris McDuffie didn't run at the combine. A versatile lineman who can play guard and center.

With the pick up Blalock last year, Greco with #72 and McDuffie now there should be now complaints with protection. They are all GROWN men!!!!!

With the #166 pick please let Morton Anderson die in peace.

Brandon Coutu, Georgia

Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.

Projected Round: 6.

Through the middle of November, Brandon Coutu is just 4-of-9 from beyond 40 yards.

Missed seven games in 2006 because of a hamstring injury. Was 10-of-11 overall, and 2-of-3 from beyond 50 yards. In 2005, Coutu hit 23-of-29, nailing 3-of-5 from 50-plus.

Nothing else needed to say!

With the #197 pick the Falcon could use more OL help!

Tim Silver, Richmond

Height: 6-6. Weight: 320.

40 Time: 5.15.

Projected Round: 7

Tim Silver is a two-year starter, who runs well for his size. Level of competition is an issue.

Hey nice size and time why not can t hurt!

With the #215 pick the should consider the best player on the board

Bruce Hocker, Duquesne

Height: 6-4. Weight: 205.

40 Time: 4.44.

Projected Round: 6.

A prospect who will skyrocket if he has another great year like he did in 2006 (61 receptions, 1,070 yards, 16 TDs). He was simply a man amongst boys in I-AA. Check out Bruce Hocker's height and 40 time.

Obviously a lot would have to happen in order for this draft to have some life mainly the trades for D Hall and the draft pick trades. As you can see I also did not pick up a running back. That is because of the free agency. Michael Turner of the San Diego Chargers would be the perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood. The Falcon will have the cap money to go get him. These picks also allow the Falcons to make a run at the division I predict an 8/8 season.

Sometimes prospects drop in the draft being that wr are not that sexy of a pick in this years draft because of last year. He will drop because of need. Being that he is not on everyone's #1 draft board for wr I can't see that many teams picking up wr in the early first round.

This draft is one of the deepest drafts in recent years in dl and ol prospects. You can pick up quality in the 2nd and 3rd round. You can't say the same with wr especially with his attributes. "6'6 or 6'7" 220 and probably close to a 4.4 in the 40. Calvin Johnson is 6'5 215 and ran a 4.3 last year. He was regarded as the best player in the draft last year.

Maybe NFL website and I have it wrong. Or maybe 6'6 or 6'7 and 220 is smaller than 6'5 215. Johnson ran a 4.3 and was regarded as the best player in the draft worth of a #1 overall draft pick. This guy runs a 4.4 I will gladly give up .1 of a sec in the 40 if that will allow him to drop to us at #22.