My best guess on what the Falcons will do this draft.

southga08

I am trying to take into account everything that TD and CMS have said since they have been a part of the Falcons. Also I have been trying to weed through rumors from all over the internet and media. I am also assuming D-Hall will be traded. He may not be, but I feel like in my gut that there is a better than 50% chance he will not be here. I will be conservative in the trade value (worst case scenario) with us getting a late first rounder for him and nothing else. (Don't grill me on this, this does not represent my opinion totaly but rather a conservative forecast of the draft).

Start with the Falcons needs:

- DT

- LT

- RG

- QB

- RB

- MLB

- FS

- K

- CB (if they trade Hall)

There are 9 positions that need to be upgraded right now.

TD and CMS want to build through the middle (meaning strong offensive and defensive lines). TD is a self proclaimed QB snob and has said that you can get great return on QBs not taken in the first round. I am also assuming that they will sign at least one offensive linemen in free agency which can help shore up our RG position.

(A lot of this could change based off of what we do in free agency.)

Draft:

1. S. Ellis (could be Dorsey here also. both are great talents, Dorsey does have an injury history which could factor into the Falcons taking Ellis here. Dorsey seems stronger at the point of attact to me, with Ellis being a little bit more athletic. Both are head and shoulders above everybody else in the draft at there position, and IMO will both be future pro bowlers. I will explain later why I didn't take anybody else here).

1b. Top offensive tackle available. We want to build up the middle and the offensive tackle class is extremely deep this year. Jake Long would be a nice player to have, but if we take him we will have a glaring hole at DT. And the DT group does not have near the depth as the OT group. I am not sure which guys make it here, but before we even get to round 2 we would have helped out both of our lines.

2. Top QB available. Whether you flavor is Flacco, Henne, Ainge, etc. we need to go ahead and get our guy before he is gone. At this point only 1-3 QBs will probably be off of the board so we could still have our pick of the litter. If we are in love with a QB like Brohm who falls to our second first round pick I could see us taken him there and picking an offensive linemen with this pick, but I don't think that will happen (Brohm falling that far).

2b. At this point we still have needs at RB, MLB, FS, CB, and K. It is too early to take a kicker (wait to the 5th round). At this point we have to look at whats available among all the positions. This is completely opinionated, but I like Tashard choice at running back, and I think he will be there in the third round. So I would take the MLB, FS, or CB who I think is the best and who could contribute this year (not on special teams).

3. I would take a RB (probably Tashard Choice).

3b. (comp pick from Kerney). I would take the best available MLB, FS, or CB that is available and from a position that I have not picked before (see pick 2b).

4. I would take the best available MLB, FS, or CB that is available and from a position that I have not picked before (see pick 2b and 3b).

5. I would take the best kicker available (unless the Elam rumors are true).

6. I would take the best offensive linemen available.

7. I would take the best wide reciever available. Maybe find a diamond in the rough here that could replace Jenkins in a year or two.

I think I have addressed all of our needs here. I know we have some Jake Long fans here, along with some Mcfadden fans, (not too many Ryan fans thankfully), but with the offensive line and running back class being so deep, along with Ellis and Dorsey being so great, and our coaches desire to build up through the middle I can't see us taking anybody else. If we do not address the DT position with our first pick, there are not a whole lot of other players out there that can contribute a lot this year. We will still get offensive linemen and a running back to address those needs, but at a later time.

twyntefour (2/25/2008)
i didnt even take time to read your article because 2 lines into it you say that RG is more important of a need than qb? are you confused. kynan forney will be our starter he is a very good rg. and if not tyson clabo will start and hes just as good as anyone.

Forney could get released and is often injured and inconsisten. I do agree with you that QB is more important than RG though.

twyntefour (2/25/2008)
i didnt even take time to read your article because 2 lines into it you say that RG is more important of a need than qb? are you confused. kynan forney will be our starter he is a very good rg. and if not tyson clabo will start and hes just as good as anyone.

The Falcons needs were not listed in any particular order. I should have mentioned that up top.

(I love how this message board won't let me edit my original post. It keeps taken me to the login screen where I have logged in like 5 times already.)

just givin ya a hard time, good read tho and i agree with most of what you said. if jake is there we need to take him if him and dorsey are both gone at 3 we need to take ryan and take LT and DT with our seconds. this draft is very deep at OL which is good but i still dont think we can pass on Jake Long.

twyntefour (2/25/2008)
just givin ya a hard time, good read tho and i agree with most of what you said. if jake is there we need to take him if him and dorsey are both gone at 3 we need to take ryan and take LT and DT with our seconds. this draft is very deep at OL which is good but i still dont think we can pass on Jake Long.

I wish we could get both, but if we get Jake Long I don't see another DT out there that will contribute a lot this year. I just think: {Dorsey/Ellis + OT(with next pick)} > {(Jake Long + DT(with next pick)}.