Word is Anderson not buying into Browns cheap offer

1989Fan

Word out of Browns camp is that Anderson isnt giving into CLE wanting to sign him to a scam of a deal. 3 years, 18M is what they offered. They are trying to leverage their chips and force Anderson into starting for them @ QB for less than going rate for starting QBs.

Savage has been qupted as saying this for leverage "If you sign this deal you will then be in line for your blockbuster deal @ the age of 27". Andersons agent is buying it, and I dont blame them.

CLE is obviously looking to use him for one or two seasons then hand it over to local boy Quinn. Dont be suprised to see Anderson demand a trade if CLE refuses to give him a 5-6 year deal. His agent has reportedly used the deals of Schuab and Romo as comparisons, in legnth of the years included, and the QBs being young, upstart QBs.

Now, CLE also is looking @ CB Asante Samual, but Crennel has gone on record saying he knows Sanuel is going to get big money and that might make getting him an issue.

Maybe we could swing a deal to send Hall to CLE for Anderson. IMO, that would be better than getting the #31 pick. Maybe get them to throw in a guy like Daven Holley (CB) as well. He is a very good zone coverage guy and can play CB as well as FS.

opinions?

grendel (2/25/2008)
Matthew Pritts (2/25/2008)
No thanks.

He'd have to prove he can do the job for more then one year b/c right now all he is a OYW. I don't wanna give that much up for someone who hasn't proven it long-term yet.

One year is more than the zero years of starting experience the rookies (yes, even your boy Henne) have in the NFL.

Still not taking him.

grendel (2/25/2008)
scott24falcs (2/25/2008)
grendel, there's just too many people on these boards that aren't willing to listen to the other side of things.

Yeah, the other one I love is how we'd be ******** to take Chris Long, the best player in the draft, because we have 2 starting DE's (and not much depth behind them).

Chris Long would not be a bad pickup for us. But I would be happy with this deal Hall/Anderson as well. He.ll, even if it was only one year and he's a one year wonder, that gives him more NFL experience than anyone else we're gonna get. Except Redman or Harrington, and I'm pretty sure noone will argue that they're way better than Anderson.

scott24falcs (2/25/2008)
grendel, there's just too many people on these boards that aren't willing to listen to the other side of things.
I listened to both sides, but I'm not willing to trade for someone who's only proven that he can do it for one year, I need to see 1-2 more years out of him before I'd pull the trigger.

There have been plenty of QB's in the league who have been OYW's. Not saying Anderson will fall into that category, but you have to be careful.

Why in the world would you want to give up hall for Anderson. Come on He is not that good and doesn't deserve what cleveland is offering.

He has a 1.5 td to interception ratio (29td's 19ints)

He accomplished that playing behind One of the best lines in the league (something like 14 sacks on him all year)

Not to Mention he had Edwards and Winslow two of the best at there position out there to throw passes to.

All the while He has a The number 5 back in rushing yards in Jamal Lewis.

He played on a stacked offense that opened it up, he is not a starting QB and you all will see that next year.

bam_19 (2/25/2008)
Why in the world would you want to give up hall for Anderson. Come on He is not that good and doesn't deserve what cleveland is offering.

He has a 1.5 td to interception ratio (29td's 19ints)

He accomplished that playing behind One of the best lines in the league (something like 14 sacks on him all year)

Not to Mention he had Edwards and Winslow two of the best at there position out there to throw passes to.

All the while He has a The number 5 back in rushing yards in Jamal Lewis.

He played on a stacked offense that opened it up, he is not a starting QB and you all will see that next year.

So how was this any different than Mannings 2nd or 3rd year when he broke through?

if we traded hall for anderson id probably want an additional selection like a 3rd or a 4th rounder with anderson. but they will both want significant raises, and hall is a much better player overall than anderson, so i think it would be fair to ask for a bit of extra compensation.

that would be a very appealing trade idea, and i cant say i dont like it. it would fill a huge need for us.

Mr. Offseason (2/25/2008)
if we traded hall for anderson id probably want an additional selection like a 3rd or a 4th rounder with anderson. but they will both want significant raises, and hall is a much better player overall than anderson, so i think it would be fair to ask for a bit of extra compensation.

that would be a very appealing trade idea, and i cant say i dont like it. it would fill a huge need for us.

How would you feel about it if they threw in Daven Holly? He has been very good for them in the last couple of years. Good zone coverage CB/FS.

1989fan (2/25/2008)

Maybe we could swing a deal to send Hall to CLE for Anderson. IMO, that would be better than getting the #31 pick.

Agreed. The longer this plays out with Anderson, the more that deal makes sense for both sides. I suspect it would be Cleveland asking for more compensation, but if we could make that trade straight up, I'd do it.

grendel (2/25/2008)
Matthew Pritts (2/25/2008)
SMH @ everyone wanting to give up draft picks for a OYW.

Let's see if he can do it for more then just one year.

If he keeps doing it he won't be available.

Like I said, if they tender him this year and he puts up the same #'s this year, then I'd be all for pulling the trigger this time next year IF we don't get a QB this year. Which I don't see happening at all.

Cautious optimism if you will.:D

But his INT's scare me a little.

i dont like anderson that much

he has bad decision making and had a lot of help from his wide outs and tight end

at the end of the season we saw a bit more about the real derek anderson

that said

he is better than anyone we got but the d hall trade i dont think is that appealing compared to what we could get for him

Not completely sold on Anderson to be honest, and I understand the Browns being apprehensive in terms of signing him. Anderson played with a great offensive line, a great WR in Braylon Edwards, a great TE in Kellen Winslow, and a great RB in Jamal Lewis (who had a better year than people give him credit for).

Also, if you look at his numbers, he really played poorly at the end of the year, throwing 9 TDs and 10 Ints in the final 7 weeks, which had a big part in the Browns not making the playoffs.

I'm just not so sure we should give up draft picks and a lot of money in terms of the contract he wants for a player that could potentially be a one year wonder.

bam_19 (2/25/2008)
I'll conceed, but the thing they they both had in common is great offensive lines which is something we don't have.

But by getting our franchise QB in a trade, that would free up another draft pick for O line help instead of drafting our QB. We could draft Jake Long and another OT or OG in the 2nd or draft Ellis/Dorsey in the first and use both 2nd on the OL.

bam_19 (2/25/2008)
I'll conceed, but the thing they they both had in common is great offensive lines which is something we don't have.

Ya I guess we probably couldn't use one of our many picks this year to build our lines up, its just not possible.. ;)

Anyways I think an Anderson deal right now would be great.. You don't want to wait for people to fall in love with him before you snatch him up for cheaper than you could right now.. Ya you might be taking a chance but if you make the right choice you could reap the benefits.