Now that we know we Falcons are picking #3 overall - who do they pick?

g-dawg

I've gotta go with Jake Long followed by Sedrick Ellis. Since I only get one vote, its Jake Long -

of course the "fast baby momma" McFadden was not who I wanted anyway but I was not hugely opposed - until now! No more character issues.

I was open to idea of taking Glen Dorsey but I'm worried he's gonna end up like Rod Coleman - on the DL for half his career - Falcons cannot afford for their top picks not to play.

I still don't want Matt Ryan - he just does not look "special" to me. I will try and keep an open mind about him but, to me, he just does not look head-n-shoulders better than the QB's who are projected to go in 2nd round.

Anyway, that's my vote and thoughts - what is yours?

what i dont get is why are so many people quick to look away from mcfadden now just cauze he hads kids on the way. the last time i checked, players dont bring there kids on the football field with them..it says nothing about his character. he just 4got to wrap up and he slipped up, thats all, or she trapped him. either way it go, 90-95% of the nfl players have some kinda of personal issue goin on with their life..and thats exactly what it is..THEIR LIFE!!!!stay out of it. as long as it doesnt affect their on the field play, then there is nothing to worry about..and for the record, i hope we draft jake long anyway..

grendel (2/25/2008)
If he's still there (he won't be) then it's Chris Long. He's the best player in the draft. We could use him in a Justin Tuck role and have a great DL and get a LOT more pressure on the QB with Abe, Jamaal, and Chris all rushing on passing downs.

I think that Chris Long is an option I never considered before but I would now if Jake Long was gone. If we would not have taken Jamal Anderson last year - i think half the board would be interested in Chris Long.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...lcons_0225.html

look at this article. it'll explain how they will pick their 1st round pick.

if they get a linebacker or a safety in free agency, then they'll most likely get dorsey

i would rather get sedrick ellis, but they didnt metion him. dorsey is injury prone.

if we get offense linemen through free agency, it could be mcfadden

what i liked is they said that the qb is a priority, and that flacco, henne, brohm, and booty all are on the table

but i like our front office's perspective on the game. how they said people are going to have to compete for their jobs

falconsstomp (2/25/2008)
what i dont get is why are so many people quick to look away from mcfadden now just cauze he hads kids on the way. the last time i checked, players dont bring there kids on the football field with them..it says nothing about his character. he just 4got to wrap up and he slipped up, thats all, or she trapped him. either way it go, 90-95% of the nfl players have some kinda of personal issue goin on with their life..and thats exactly what it is..THEIR LIFE!!!!stay out of it. as long as it doesnt affect their on the field play, then there is nothing to worry about..and for the record, i hope we draft jake long anyway..

falconstomp,

I think your wrong here. I think many(like myself) were inclined to "not take a RB" in the first round anyway - and the "baby momma" / "barroom fights-plural" was just the "icing on the cake". Then, on top of that, there is real concern about McFadden's fumbling history, lack of vision and skinny legs/goes down on contact below the waist - add all of that together and you have a recipe for avoiding McFadden in 1st round.

I don't want McFadden mainly for "football reasons" and bigger needs at other positions - adding the character issues just makes me not want him that much more. I think a lot of other people feel similiarly - but character issues alone - for Falcons franchise with what they have been through - is enough.

I would not be suprised if Falcons (if they did not like D-Mac's interview) took McFadden off their draft board.

regarding Glenn Dorsey and being on IR like Rod Coleman.

despite Dorseys couple injuries (knee from cheapshot, and fracture from weightroom accident) Dorsey has NEVER missed a game for LSU.

I think the comparison is very premature, and off the mark.

I would not hesitate to take Dorsey for one second if he cleared medically, which he will.

I want to see Atlanta pick Jake Long in the draft. If he's off of the board then Sedrick Ellis, McFadden, Chris Long, and last off all Glen (hair line fracture) Dorsey. I really can't get mad at the Falcons for picking any of these players with the 3rd choice. If they pick Matt (19 interception) Ryan then I'll be pissed. They should address there QB needs in the 2nd round or if they trade D-Hall for a another 1st round pick at that point. Atlanta can't afford to miss in this years draft so I hope our new staff know what there doing!

1989fan (2/25/2008)

despite Dorseys couple injuries (knee from cheapshot, and fracture from weightroom accident) Dorsey has NEVER missed a game for LSU.

I would not hesitate to take Dorsey for one second if he cleared medically, which he will.

Dorsey might have never missed a game for LSU but this is the NFL. I do hope he clears though this cannot help his draft status. Would you still take him with the third overall pick if there are questions about his fibula? There's still time and he does plan to work out next month so we'll just have to wait until then to find out if he's worth a top 5 pick.

A hairline fracture is a fully recoverable injury, and Dorsey played through it, for the good of his team. I'm not aware of any evidence that indicates Dorsey is a chronic IR candidate.

DMac's barroom and paternity issues are issues of personal judgment, responsibility and character. Character issues are not "recoverable injuries" , they are personal choices. There appears to be ample evidence that DMac has a history of poor choices and questionable character.

IMHO, the Falcons have had enough personnel drama. Just say no to DMac and any other RB in the first round.

Just say yes to improving the DL and OL.

You win or lose the game in the trenches.

falconfansince66 (2/25/2008)
1989fan (2/25/2008)

Dorsey might have never missed a game for LSU but this is the NFL. I do hope he clears though this cannot help his draft status. Would you still take him with the third overall pick if there are questions about his fibula? There's still time and he does plan to work out next month so we'll just have to wait until then to find out if he's worth a top 5 pick.

I wouldnt lose a second of sleep over a hairline fracture to his fibula. It will heal 100% and he wont have ill effects from it. Unless it is extreme circumstances (like M. Bush leg) bone fractures are little to worry about.

Why take an OL that early in the draft when you can get good valve later? special players like DMAC don't come along often. His character concerns a petty and can be taken care of by throwing clauses in his contract. Some of you act like you have never been into a fight in your life. He was in a bar fight and was not charged. Let's drop this hollier than thou BS and not past up on this special player.:cool:

me4falcons (2/25/2008)
Why take an OL that early in the draft when you can get good valve later? special players like DMAC don't come along often. His character concerns a petty and can be taken care of by throwing clauses in his contract. Some of you act like you have never been into a fight in your life. He was in a bar fight and was not charged. Let's drop this hollier than thou BS and not past up on this special player.:cool:

I don't think it's just the barfight(s) but the totality of that and as I understand it soon-to-be 3 illegitimate children? Anyway, all that aside, I just don't think we need to pick him first and I don't think he'll be around later, so if we don't... and he isn't... it's all a moot point.

falconfoozball (2/25/2008)
me4falcons (2/25/2008)

I don't think it's just the barfight(s) but the totality of that and as I understand it soon-to-be 3 illegitimate children? Anyway, all that aside, I just don't think we need to pick him first and I don't think he'll be around later, so if we don't... and he isn't... it's all a moot point.

I didn't bring up how many children he has faither or have not father because that is totally irrelavent and where is your link on this. once again His character concerns a petty and can be taken care of by throwing clauses in his contract. Some of you act like you have never been into a fight in your life. He was in a bar fight and was not charged. Let's drop this hollier than thou BS and not past up on this special player

me4falcons (2/25/2008)

well-said foozball.....

and here's the thing guys.....Do you think Arthur Blank is up to "taking chances" right now with his #1 draft pick? think about it.......

Q: Could it be possible that Darren McFadden will be OK from a character perspective?

A: Absolutely. We could take him and he might be "fine".

But here's the thing and there's really no getting around this: there were small "chinks" in Michael Vick (very small) when the Atlanta Falcons drafted him - and NO, Darren McFadden is not Michael Vick. But McFadden has the "chinks" and he cannot undo them.

If you are Arthur Blank, and you have been through the year that Arthur Blank has, do you think he's going to "sign off" on Darren McFadden? AB's franchise was set back 3 years by what went on this year - he's a smart man - smart people will not make the same mistake twice. Its a HUGE investment - this #3 overall pick.

I know some will say: well i thought Dimitroff was picking the player not Blank - TRUE!!! but I have also heard that both Dimitroff and Mike Smith paid lip service to players with character.

At best, McFadden has some morality issues that lots of others have as well....but remember, you don't always get the "full picture" at the moment of the draft - did the Titans get the full picture when they drafted Pacman? NO.....did the Falcons w/ Vick? NO.....but i bet if you asked both clubs and they do there armchair lookback - i bet they will say there were "signs" that pointed to possible problems - that later developed.

McFadden will probably be FINE in NFL and be a solid citizen - but I don't think that Arthur Blank/Dimitroff/Falcons are in a position to take that chance - other teams can absorb the risk easier - i.e. Cowboys, Patriots, Packers, etc. - there franchises could withstand some turmoil - the Falcons cannot given their current state of being.

So, you guys dying for McFadden can hold your breath and stomp your feet all you want about the Falcons taking McFadden.......

.....its not gonna happen!

g-dawg (2/25/2008)
me4falcons (2/25/2008)

well-said foozball.....

and here's the thing guys.....Do you think Arthur Blank is up to "taking chances" right now with his #1 draft pick? think about it.......

Q: Could it be possible that Darren McFadden will be OK from a character perspective?

A: Absolutely. We could take him and he might be "fine".

But here's the thing and there's really no getting around this: there were small "chinks" in Michael Vick (very small) when the Atlanta Falcons drafted him - and NO, Darren McFadden is not Michael Vick. But McFadden has the "chinks" and he cannot undo them.

If you are Arthur Blank, and you have been through the year that Arthur Blank has, do you think he's going to "sign off" on Darren McFadden? AB's franchise was set back 3 years by what went on this year - he's a smart man - smart people will not make the same mistake twice. Its a HUGE investment - this #3 overall pick.

I know some will say: well i thought Dimitroff was picking the player not Blank - TRUE!!! but I have also heard that both Dimitroff and Mike Smith paid lip service to players with character.

At best, McFadden has some morality issues that lots of others have as well....but remember, you don't always get the "full picture" at the moment of the draft - did the Titans get the full picture when they drafted Pacman? NO.....did the Falcons w/ Vick? NO.....but i bet if you asked both clubs and they do there armchair lookback - i bet they will say there were "signs" that pointed to possible problems - that later developed.

McFadden will probably be FINE in NFL and be a solid citizen - but I don't think that Arthur Blank/Dimitroff/Falcons are in a position to take that chance - other teams can absorb the risk easier - i.e. Cowboys, Patriots, Packers, etc. - there franchises could withstand some turmoil - the Falcons cannot given their current state of being.

So, you guys dying for McFadden can hold your breath and stomp your feet all you want about the Falcons taking McFadden.......

.....its not gonna happen!

Your motive have to do with the fact that you want Jake Long at #3. It's not going to happen beacause you don't take an OL at #3 when you have good valve later. You must take playmakers that early in the draft. If you are solid at impact positions then you might take an OL that high in the draft. ("We need game changing players".)

I say we draft jake long with the 3rd pick and if d-hall gets traded we go after dorsey are ellis which ever one falls to us,dorsey is most likely to fall with all the question marks around him right now,and go after flacco in the 2nd round followed by pat sims from auburn

me4falcons (2/25/2008)
Your motive have to do with the fact that you want Jake Long at #3. It's not going to happen beacause you don't take an OL at #3 when you have good valve later. You must take playmakers that early in the draft. If you are solid at impact positions then you might take an OL that high in the draft. ("We need game changing players".)

you backwards on your theory. If you have a hole @ RB and LT and the best of each position in on the board, and considered elite, you take the LT.

And if you dont believe me, the Browns draft came down to Peterson and Thomas last season. Do you think, even w Petersons great season, they regret taking Thomas? No chance!