SIs combine risers & sliders Josh Johnson had problems throwing deep

cord2001

Combine Risers & Sliders

McFadden enjoys terrific workout, Stewart impresses

Posted: Sunday February 24, 2008 9:46PM; Updated: Sunday February 24, 2008 9:46PM

Jonathan Stewart raised some eyebrows with an impressive 40-yard dash time.

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

It was a full day at the combine on Sunday as the skill players, as well as the signal callers, performed for NFL decision-makers. None of the top running backs disappointed and there was a lot of speed in the Dome today from the ball carriers, affirming the belief that it is a position of strength this April.

Risers

Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas: McFadden is already the top prospect in this draft, yet he further distanced himself from the pack as his combine workout was nothing less than spectacular. McFadden weighed in at 211 pounds then ran both of his forty's in the low 4.3 second area. His fast times will get most of the headlines, yet McFadden displayed great footwork and cutting skills during the practice session and was equally effective catching the ball.

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon: Stewart was another big back who amazed scouts with his speed. The junior from Oregon tipped the scales at 230 pounds, yet timed both of his forty's in the low 4.4's. He also completed 28 reps on the bench press, which topped all running backs. Stewart is likely to be rated as one of the top eight players in the draft.

Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois: Mendenhall made it three for three as he timed in the low 4.4's. He had earlier weighed in at 225 pounds on Friday. Mendenhall also displayed good hands during drills. Mendenhall completed an impressive 26 repetitions on the bench press.

Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware: Flacco continued the momentum he built at the Senior Bowl. He was the most physically impressive passer at the combine and had the best arm strength. Flacco was accurate with all his throws the entire day. He impressed scouts with his ability to adjust passes to all the receivers he threw to, both fast and slow, hitting them in stride and giving them an opportunity to catch the ball.

Cory Boyd, RB, South Carolina: Boyd was considered a straightahead power back in college, yet that perception will soon change. Boyd timed his forty's at or below 4.5 seconds. He also displayed better than expected cutting skills during the practice session.

Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina: Johnson was the fastest of all the backs on Sunday. He went below 4.3 seconds in both runnings of the forty, the best being a 4.25 on his second attempt.

Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas: The Longhorn sprint champion did not disappoint the crowd in the RCA Dome. Charles timed both his forty's in the high 4.3's.

Sliders

Mike Hart, RB, Michigan: Hart looked good during the practice session, yet teams will not be able to overlook his poor forty times. Hart ran 4.65 seconds then 4.75 seconds after weighing in at 206 pounds.

Yvenson Bernard, RB, Oregon State: Bernard is known as a slippery scat back who can turn the corner. His forty times of 4.81 and 4.78 will change that line of thinking.

Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego: Johnson was out to prove he belongs with the top quarterbacks in this draft but it did not happen. His deep passes were woeful as they were inaccurate and wobbled through the air.

Notes: Matt Ryan ran the forty's but did not participate in the throwing workout. He will finally pass the ball for scouts during Boston College's pro-day workout next month. ... Brian Brohm of Louisville had a solid workout, yet did nothing to dispel the belief that he does not possess a top flight arm. Brohm was unable to drive deep passes and had receivers slowing up in their routes to await the ball's arrival.

Yeah, I just heard on 1st and 10 that Josh Johnson was not throwing very well at all during the combines. It seems as if he was throwing a very wobbly ball and his arm strength was poor on the deep throws.

I believe it was Gimmesomo that has been littering the boards with the praises of Josh Johnson.

Another poor scouting attempt by Gimmesomo to put with all the other horrible picks that Gimmesomo has tried to sell us on.

goosedaddy70 (2/25/2008)
Yeah, I just heard on 1st and 10 that Josh Johnson was not throwing very well at all during the combines. It seems as if he was throwing a very wobbly ball and his arm strength was poor on the deep throws.

I believe it was Gimmesomo that has been littering the boards with the praises of Josh Johnson.

Another poor scouting attempt by Gimmesomo to put with all the other horrible picks that Gimmesomo has tried to sell us on.

I am not on the Josh Johnson bandwagon by any means, but to be fair, they also said on 1st & 10 that many scouts believe that most of his woes at the combine could be jitters, and that it was his deep ball that looked weak because it fluttered, caused by gripping the ball too tightly.

Yeah I think people were jumping on the Johnson band wagon because they want to see another mobile QB in Atlanta. (Besides DJ) NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! Johnson's a project. He would sit for 2 yrs before getting off the practice squad. IF HE GETS OFF!! I don't think he will get drafted.. He's sliding right off the board IMO.. :unsure:

goosedaddy70 (2/25/2008)
That may mean that Johnson has small hands. Not real good for a QB. The NFL ball is a bit different from the college ball.

wow because you dont jump to conclusions at all.

why dont you go check his hand measurements and check what they are. gripping the ball too tightly could have been from nerves from being on such a big stage.

im not saying johnson is the perfect QB and is going to be the best thing ever, but **** you are just railing on him without even knowing what youre talking about!

Matthew Pritts (2/25/2008)
aveboogie2 (2/25/2008)
According to the reports, no one threw the ball all that well and that's to be expected throwing to perfect strangers.

I'm sure most of the QB's will look better during their pro-days.

Not what I heard.

I heard both Brohm and Henne threw really well.

That's because it's what you wanted to hear....There was an ESPN article that said Brohm was accurate, but that was it from the 10 or so articles I read and combine coverage I've watched. To put it short, the only "buzz" about the QB's was Flacco's arm strength and Johnson/O'Connell's athleticism.

Mildly dissapointing is that Woodson isn't able to workout as he was the one guy to challenge Flacco's arm and O'Connell's athleticism.

grendel (2/25/2008)
aveboogie2 (2/25/2008)
aveboogie2 (2/25/2008)
According to the reports, no one threw the ball all that well and that's to be expected throwing to perfect strangers.

I heard both Brohm and Henne threw really well.

That's because it's what you wanted to hear....There was an ESPN article that said Brohm was accurate, but that was it from the 10 or so articles I read and combine coverage I've watched. To put it short, the only "buzz" about the QB's was Flacco's arm strength and Johnson/O'Connell's athleticism.

Mildly dissapointing is that Woodson isn't able to workout as he was the one guy to challenge Flacco's arm and O'Connell's athleticism.

Woodson is able to workout. He chose not to.

True, technically, he is able to, but why do so if an injury prevents you from do your best? I would have liked to see him workout, but if you're limited, save it for a better day. It's not as if he's a nobody, although he does have something to prove.

wow because you dont jump to conclusions at all.

Grendel said, within this post, that his hands are 9'. And I responded that he may be holding onto the ball too tightly. (nerves) But that also can be attributed to the football being a bit different as well.

Sorry if I had not researched his entire biological stats but I was going off of what I was thinking at the time and the possibilities of a poor outing.

Maybe you should put the caffeine down for a while and do some "serenity now, serenity now." It sounds like you need it or else its "insanity later."

For those of you who did buy into the Josh Johnson "hype" Dennis Dixon will be throwing on his pro day and possibly some running drills. He has struggled for 4 years to put on necessary weight so don't get too excited. But, that could be because of the baseball/football thing. So maybe with football being "100% where his heart is" he could add the weight.

I watched some of his drills and some youtube vid stuff. He's a very accurate qb w/ great mobility. I don't think he is a vertical guy that Mularkey would want, but he'll be a great WCO that emphasizes accuracy and rolling out. I could see Tampa Bay drafting him. He's a Gruden type qb. In fact he reminds me a lot of Rich Gannon. If you all remember Gannon was a highly mobile and accurate QB.

I think w/ the Mularkey system in place that Ryan, Brohm, Henne & Flacco are probably the likely suspects.

Todd McShay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike Mayock

McShay is actually high on Josh Johnson.

Of course with that information you'll probably denounce McShay.

LOL @ someone actually targeting Josh Johnson.

The agenda against dual threat Qbs is hilarious. And yes I call it an agenda because it's a BLATANT double standard to call Josh Johnson out for a bad performance when Joe Flacco was absolutely HORRENDOUS throwing the short passes yesterday. Completely threw it over the guys heads.

I saw every throw Josh Johnson made and the only one that wasn't connected on was the one where Caldwell dropped the ball. Hit him in stride.

This propaganda won't work though. There are many scouts with a clue who are sold on this guy

busboyisback (2/25/2008)
Todd McShay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike Mayock

McShay is actually high on Josh Johnson.

Of course with that information you'll probably denounce McShay.

LOL @ someone actually targeting Josh Johnson.

The agenda against dual threat Qbs is hilarious. And yes I call it an agenda because it's a BLATANT double standard to call Josh Johnson out for a bad performance when Joe Flacco was absolutely HORRENDOUS throwing the short passes yesterday. Completely threw it over the guys heads.

I saw every throw Josh Johnson made and the only one that wasn't connected on was the one where Caldwell dropped the ball. Hit him in stride.

This propaganda won't work though. There are many scouts with a clue who are sold on this guy

He doesn't have a huge arm is all. I watched him and he is extremely accurate. The kid is talented. If I were Minnesota I'd draft him in the second to compete with Tavares Jackson in a WCO. He's not a Mularkey type I don't think in terms of arm strength.

As far as Flacco goes, I'm noticing the ball sails on him a lot.

Basically: Every QB's weakness was shown. That's all. Josh Johnson (who has the quickest release out of all them) threw a couple floaters yes but he seemed to be holding back so he can just make the completion and show good footwork. Henne's first few passes were inaccurate so he shows streak tendency but he's later passes were all very accurate. Brohm's short passes were great but he still loses velocity on his long throws. Flacco's the biggest project at this position right now but arm-strength and hype always combines to a rise in Draft Stock. The one name who nobody's spoken and i would be just as excited to get is Erik Ainge. Who in my opinion showed an ability to make every pass on time and accurate. He's not great at any one thing he's good at everything and in my mind, since JJ is no longer a secret, is the biggest QB sleeper in the Draft.

chris30277 (2/26/2008)
I think Johnson having the smallest hands for a QB in this draft has a lot to do with his throwing. I was impressed by the 40, but if he can't throw I don't want him.

How did Paul Smith throw?

Lol people are just making stuff up now.

g-dawg (2/25/2008)
Like i have said all along - i think Josh Johnson has a great chance to make it in the NFL....as a Wide Receiver!!!!:D:P:D

Yeah you wish.

He's a top 5-6 QB prospect in this draft now.

NFL Network guys didn't have a problem with him.

These anonymous scouts nitpicking on a couple of deep throws when tons of Qb didn't look sharp and even awful on several throws, sound like guys who want Johnson to fall to their team.