We may get 15th or 16th pick for Hall...

maxatlanta

So many scenarios out there. It is all rumor and heresay, but all of these scenarios have been bandied about by legitimate sports news websites.

*Arizona and Detroit are both desperate for upgrades at CB. They hold the 15th and 16th picks in the first round and this would be a mutally beneficial trade for each teams.

*McFadden will not go to Miami (they don't need a RB, character issues, Parcells won't do it). He is always a possibility at #2, but for similar reasons I can't imagine STL passing over their favorite DT/OL for him. So the rumor seems to have some legs. The biggest spoiler is Parcells bluffing Jones into trading for the number one pick, or even just drafting DMC ala Eli/SD/NYG a few years back and forcing a trade. Parcells not needing a RB, and the money due to the number one overall pick would reduce his leverage and hopefully prevent him from trying this.

The other spoiler is getting permission ahead of time to work out a deal with Barber. He isn't worth much if he leaves after one year. The good news is that theoreticly we could franchise him after this season, but that is not ideal.

*As for Asante, the Boston Herald mentions us as a possible landing place for him. It's all speculation, but Dimitroff knows him pretty well so we should feel secure about getting what we pay for. This is by far the least likely of the scenarios listed here.

Here is our haul if all of these scenarios played out--

We lose:

#3 pick

Deangelo Hall

We pick up:

#15/16 pick

Asante Samuel

Marion Barber

OK, here are some thoughts:

1 Jerry Jones will not get hoodwinked by Parcells. Jerry Jones is a savvy business man, he knows when to stare down a rival.

2 The only spoiler in the McFadden sweepstakes is Al Davis. He is sitting at #4 and is probably excited about Darren. His problem is that he spent huge money last season signing his QB. Davis may be crazy, but he ain't stupid. Can you imagine his cap problems if he has to sign the #2 pick (after trading up with STL) one year after signing the #1?

3 Why would we be interested in signing Asante Samuels? The only reason we would be trading Hall is to lower the cap money spent on CB's. This is strictly a business decision. I know that fans want to make it about a discontented FO. It isn't about Hall's mouth, it is about Hall's math.

I suspect that if we traded for the #22 and Spears, our draft pick would be McFadden followed by Brohm at #22 if he is there. What I would love to see us do is deal from #3 to either #6 to pick up the #36 (and probably a fifth plus a bit more) or the #7 to get NE's second round pick and Oakland's third rounder from NE. As long as Ryan goes in the top 5, a guy Atlanta likes is still there with the Jets' pick and that's probably the case at #7 as well.

Chris Long

Jake Long

Darren McFadden

Sedrick Ellis

Glenn Dorsey

As long as Ryan goes, one of those guys is there at #6. If we went down to #7, all that would need to happen is someone fall in love with a player like Clady or Gholston to still get us one of those guys. If not, we take Clady or we deal down again. Such a scenario sets up the Falcons to upgrade the talent at DT, giving us three good young players in Lewis, Babs and Spears. If Ellis or Dorsey falls, we wind up with a fourth. If not, we probably get an OT (I have to believe the Jets trade up for McFadden while the Patriots trade up for Chris Long). At #22, we either look corner or QB. With our #37 (and #36 if we dealt with the Jets), we aren't pressured to take any particular position if we have added a DT in trade as well as an OT and a QB in the first round.

This is a pretty good scenario for us.

jidady (2/25/2008)
I suspect that if we traded for the #22 and Spears, our draft pick would be McFadden followed by Brohm at #22 if he is there. What I would love to see us do is deal from #3 to either #6 to pick up the #36 (and probably a fifth plus a bit more) or the #7 to get NE's second round pick and Oakland's third rounder from NE. As long as Ryan goes in the top 5, a guy Atlanta likes is still there with the Jets' pick and that's probably the case at #7 as well.

Chris Long

Jake Long

Darren McFadden

Sedrick Ellis

Glenn Dorsey

As long as Ryan goes, one of those guys is there at #6. If we went down to #7, all that would need to happen is someone fall in love with a player like Clady or Gholston to still get us one of those guys. If not, we take Clady or we deal down again. Such a scenario sets up the Falcons to upgrade the talent at DT, giving us three good young players in Lewis, Babs and Spears. If Ellis or Dorsey falls, we wind up with a fourth. If not, we probably get an OT (I have to believe the Jets trade up for McFadden while the Patriots trade up for Chris Long). At #22, we either look corner or QB. With our #37 (and #36 if we dealt with the Jets), we aren't pressured to take any particular position if we have added a DT in trade as well as an OT and a QB in the first round.

This is a pretty good scenario for us.

Logical thinking. My issue is that I see Jake Long and Sedrick Ellis as being head and shoulders above the others. Dorsey only becuase of injury issues. Long because he is overatted-- very good, but the least talented of the group-- and he does not play a position of need for us. And Mcfadden because he is a RB, we don't need to use a top 6 pick on a RB. They can be had later, and should never be given top 5 money (AP is the exception and McFadden is not AP).

Ofcourse, it's possible Long and Ellis will be gone when we pick at 3. That would suck.

edit: evidently Long is having a great combine. I'll keep an open mind about him.