Combine QB Reports

atljbo

Practice Report

Erik Ainge/Tennessee: Displayed good timing and zip on the outs.

John David Booty/USC: Threw several nice deep outs. Good zip on throws.

Colt Brennan/Hawaii: Showed better speed on passes but was really winding up to let it go. For the most part struggled with his deep passes.

Alex Brink/Washington State: Showed a quick release and nice touch but lacks arm strength and passes show no zip.

Brian Brohm/Louisville: Throws with a fluid delivery and was very accurate over the middle. Shows an excellent sense of timing and nice touch. Threw a few nice deep passes but for the most part struggled with his long throws and had receivers waiting on passes.

Joe Flacco/Delaware: Flacco was the most physically impressive passers at the combine and had the best arm strength of any quarterback. He was accurate with all his throws the entire day. He impressed scouts with his ability to adjust passes to all the receivers he threw to, both fast and slow, hitting them in stride and giving them an opportunity to catch the ball.

Matt Flynn/LSU: Struggled with his accuracy almost the entire day. Passes took off and were usually high of the mark and he could not throw the deep out.

Chad Henne/Michigan: Threw nice outs and all his passes displayed good speed.

Josh Johnson/San Diego: Has a quick release and threw nice outs but cannot throw the deep pass. Long balls consistently wobbled like lame ducks and receivers were constantly waiting on throws.

Sam Keller/Nebraska: Showed good velocity on passes and powered the ball into targets. Has a big wind up and was wild with a lot of his throws.

Anthony Morelli/Penn State: Good zip on throws and flashed accuracy but for the most part kept throwing behind receivers and had them adjusting to the pass.

Kevin O'Connell/San Diego State: Shows nice touch with the ability to place the ball in receivers hands when he's accurate. For the most part all over the place with his throws.

TC Ostrander/Stanford: Showed good zip and timing on the intermediate passes.

Paul Smith/Tulsa: Shows a good sense of timing but threw with a long, deliberate delivery and struggled to get speed on passes.

Adam Tafralis/San Jose State: Good zip on passes and threw some nice deep outs. Tries to feather the ball into receivers too much, which caused problems.

Kyle Wright/Miami-Fl: Throws a heavy ball. Spirals are not tight.

Thanks atl, good read.

Flacco was one of the few I caught during the QB workouts yesterday. I may be fixin' to ask Legion for a spot on his bandwagon. The guy's deep balls were a work of art. And while they were making excuses for some of the other guys not completing passes because they were unfamiliar w/the receivers, nothing of the sort was said about Flacco. I think he hit just about everybody.

Didn't see Henne pass, sorry. Didn't see Matt Ryan either, but that's not my fault. :P

67camaro (2/25/2008)
University of Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco was grossly off on several throws, missing receivers running out routes toward the sideline with frequency.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/85833/542

I'm more concerned with the throwing of the passes than whether or not he had good timing with receivers he never played with.

67camaro (2/25/2008)
University of Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco was grossly off on several throws, missing receivers running out routes toward the sideline with frequency.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/85833/542

??? Well, he was there and he's a writer (i guess?) but he didn't see what I saw or he wouldn't have written that.

Flacco overthrew 2 receivers on like the 2nd QB drill and we didn't get to see much else on TV until the deep balls. Thats the only reason we have heard anything negative about him. From everyone who was actually there and got to watch the whole thing, most of the comments about Flacco were positive.

I'm bummed that I didn't get to see it with my own eyes because it seems like you can't believe anything the reporters are telling us. One says Flacco's passes were all right on and another say he consistently missed the receivers. I can understand that fans of this or that university come with a bias towards a specific guy, but I expect sports reporters to be a little more objective and consistent with their analysis.

That said, it does sound like Flacco improved his standing by a couple of spots.

SomeOtherGuy (2/25/2008)
I'm bummed that I didn't get to see it with my own eyes because it seems like you can't believe anything the reporters are telling us. One says Flacco's passes were all right on and another say he consistently missed the receivers. I can understand that fans of this or that university come with a bias towards a specific guy, but I expect sports reporters to be a little more objective and consistent with their analysis.

That said, it does sound like Flacco improved his standing by a couple of spots.

Sports writers are usually MORE biased than fans.

Draftnut57 (2/25/2008)
:Whistling:See my sig , I said in DEC. that Ellis and Flacco were two players I would still have in my Mock come April 26th . So far during the Combines I have found these two players to be good choices .

well you do have the name Draft.....Nut...... for a reason

I've been high on Johnson, but he got crushed by his hometown San Diego paper:

Earlier in the day, USD's Johnson, who entered the combine on the rise and needed to continue to show his passing skills on this stage after a career at the nonscholarship I-AA level, was hurt by his exceedingly poor throws.

It was terrible when the spotlight was on, one personnel man said afterward.

His dismal showing his balls floated and fell short, prompting some to speculate he might be hurt was a hot topic among NFL people yesterday.

Johnson had the fastest 40-yard dash time of any quarterback. At 4.55 seconds, he was six-hundredths of a second faster than O'Connell, the second-fastest QB who ran at the combine.

But one NFL assistant coach who watched Johnson estimated just four of his 18 throws were plus. Coaches also said his footwork was poor.

Numerous coaches and executives expressed surprise, saying what they saw yesterday was in dire contrast to Johnson's excellent throws on film and in last month's East West Shrine Game, of which he was the MVP.

He did not help himself today, said one assistant who has seen Johnson play and expected a good workout. He can make the throws he wasn't making today.

The Chicago Sun-Times crushed the entire class of QBs:

''What quarterback class?'' one offensive coordinator quipped Friday.

''Awful,'' one quarterbacks coach said Sunday after watching the players work out. ''This is the worst I've seen. There were a lot of bad football players on that field.''

The Bears have been keeping tabs on Delaware's Joe Flacco, who also will do every drill after an up-and-down Senior Bowl week. He's projected as a mid-round selection, although the Bears have gone for passers from bigger programs under Angelo -- Florida, Ohio State and Purdue. The quarterbacks coach compared Flacco to Michigan's John Navarre because he took too many sacks in college and has poor footwork. He knocked Henne for a slow release.

''There just aren't many fundamental quarterbacks,'' he said.

This was a case of the workouts not doing much to allay fears that the draft isn't the place for teams in dire need of a franchise passer.

I dont know about yall but from what i saw on NFLTV i think Henne looks better than Flacco. I am still not sold on Flacco. I knew he would look good in a combine setting but for real all the combine does is confirm a players athleticism to me. I knew Flacco was underrated athletically and has a live arm. We have been told that a million times. I am very concerned with 1) the fact he is learning to come from under center at this point of his career. Alot of you said he picked it up nice at the senior bowl which is great but the senior bowl is not a whole season in the NFL. 2) the level of competition. We dont have a QB and even if he is a 2nd rounder he is going to need to produce soon. We dont have the luxury to wait on him like some of the better QBs in the NFL who were not "sexy" picks. They had time to sit behind people. We dont have that luxury. I feel more comfortable with Henne. He is ready to play now. He has a live arm. He is tough. He knows how to win games. He plays within himself. With a good defense and a good running game, He can hold the fort down at QB till we find us a superstar QB or he could be the currentfuture answer at QB.

Like i keep saying, outside of Brohm, Ryan and Henne. Everybody else is a project. Pick your poison. You get the athletic dudes who dont have the size or the arm. Or get the dude with the arm and the size but has trouble hitting the side of a barn.

dizzee rascal (2/25/2008)
The Chicago Sun-Times crushed the entire class of QBs:

''What quarterback class?'' one offensive coordinator quipped Friday.

''Awful,'' one quarterbacks coach said Sunday after watching the players work out. ''This is the worst I've seen. There were a lot of bad football players on that field.''

The Bears have been keeping tabs on Delaware's Joe Flacco, who also will do every drill after an up-and-down Senior Bowl week. He's projected as a mid-round selection, although the Bears have gone for passers from bigger programs under Angelo -- Florida, Ohio State and Purdue. The quarterbacks coach compared Flacco to Michigan's John Navarre because he took too many sacks in college and has poor footwork. He knocked Henne for a slow release.

''There just aren't many fundamental quarterbacks,'' he said.

This was a case of the workouts not doing much to allay fears that the draft isn't the place for teams in dire need of a franchise passer.

This is a very underrated QB class.