RUNNINGBACKS?

bigpoon

i liked that macfadden,mendenhall,and stewart ran sub 4.5's which a lot of people questioned some of there speed.but kelvin smith really surprised me. my suggestion is if we don't draft one of the top backs then he would be great for us.he's power,vision and speed.who and why for you?

its hard to tell at this point. all of them can carry the load and get the tough nfl yards. but what intriques me most is mcfadden's ability to do trick plays. mike mularky likes to call trick plays as he is called "inspector gadget." mcfadden can run in the middle, outside, throw the ball and catch the ball and is fast.

but at the same time, i want a bruiser like stewart and mendenhall which can be safer picks

I like what Kevin Smith brings, even though he played in Conference USA (and gained over 2500 yards this year), I still believe that a RB must have good reads, moves, speed and power to get such an impressive total at any level. I believe he can be had in the 2nd round as well. Could be one of the steals of this year's draft. I'd be creaming in my pants if he's available with our final second round pick.

mcfadden has a paternity suit, so we might not want that during our rebuilding stage, it will be a distraction.

i can see a team like dallas being a better fit for mcfadden. i would like for us to trade with dallas for their 2 1st rounder and marion barber and another pick. marion barber would fill in the need that what we want stewart and mendenhall for. we wanted stewart and mendenhall because they are bruisers, well so is marion barber

bigpoon (2/24/2008)
i liked that macfadden,mendenhall,and stewart ran sub 4.5's which a lot of people questioned some of there speed.but kelvin smith really surprised me. my suggestion is if we don't draft one of the top backs then he would be great for us.he's power,vision and speed.who and why for you?

The one named Darren McFadden fits

The guys that fit, all for size speed reasons. All are north of 210 and run 4.53 or better. I did not see official times on Kevin Smith, Tashard Choice or Cory Boyd. Boyd is the only one to not have a 1000 yard season under his belt. He was close in 2007 and averaged 5 yards a carry. I also like BenJarvus Green-Ellis. However he was not under 4.6.

-only if we trade down, size and 4.4 speed.

Rashard Mendenhall

Jonathan Stewart

-Round 2 guys, size and speed

Kevin Smith

Matt Forte (official time of 4.46)

-Round 3 guys, 4.5 speed and decent size.

Cory Boyd

Tashard Choice

-Day two guys, good size and 4.5/4.4 speed. Not sure what the official time was.

Jalen Parmele

Being a Bills fan I saw a lot of Mularkey. While I liked him as a person, he wasn't a good HC for Buffalo. That's not saying he won't be a good OC in Atl, but history does tend to repeat itself.

Now to my point, McFadden reminds me a little of Willis McGahee, similar size, good breakaway speed, and better at running toward the outside. It seems to me that MM couldn't tap into McGahee's potential, and the team often found itself in third and long. McFadden is a good back, no doubt, but he also split carries in Arkansas, and never did show a tendency to get through the middle.

The RB that I really like is Jonathan Stewart. Will Atlanta draft him third overall? Very doubtful, but, I think he will be the best RB in the draft.

The guy that may fit ATL better is Ray Rice. He can pound the middle, and while he won't be the breakaway type runner, combine him with Dunn and Norwood, and that could be a very deadly running game. Rice could stay on the board till the third as well, making him much less costly than DMac

How about people start to talk about Jamaal Charles who ran a 4.37 in the 40 and in three years at texas he totaled 3328 rushing yards on 533 attempts which is an average of 6.24 yards a carry with 36 touchdowns. He also piled up 539 recieving yards on 49 receptions which is an average of 11 yards a reception with 3 touchdowns. He is also the same height and weight 6'1 205 pounds as mcfadden and charles will be there in the second round. So that way we can get a great ol or dl with our #3 pick in the draft. Mcfadden had less yards an average carry and less receiving yards and receiving yards an reception. He is also barely slower than Mcfadden whose official time was 4.33.

falconfoozball (2/24/2008)
I didn't get to watch much of them today. How did Tashard Choice do, and why is that such a bad choice? My only initial issue w/him is size, but if Snelling steps up, maybe we already have our bruiser?

choice does'nt bruise people like hart or smith.and a guy i left out was jamal charles who is also a brusing back.choice didn't do anything in college or at the combine to impress me enough, he could land anywhere froma 6th to 7th rder.

bigpoon (2/24/2008)
I didn't get to watch much of them today. How did Tashard Choice do, and why is that such a bad choice? My only initial issue w/him is size, but if Snelling steps up, maybe we already have our bruiser?

choice does'nt bruise people like hart or smith.and a guy i left out was jamal charles who is also a brusing back.choice didn't do anything in college or at the combine to impress me enough, he could land anywhere froma 6th to 7th rder.

Actually, I'm not even sure they need to draft one before then. I don't see RB as being such a big need for us at this point. They need to build a line that can make holes, and then we already got guys who can run through those holes.

How about Forte? Didn't hear his name mentioned in here yet, and for a while everyone was pretty high on getting him?

First off I don't put that kind of stock in Snelling. I see him as an emergency/fill-in type. Only if your number 1 and number 2 guys go down.

Choice does not have great speed, he did have unofficial times of 4.52 and 4.54 which is not bad for a 215 lb back. However, he was listed at 205 his senior year at Tech. I'm not sure if he can actually play at 215. If he can great, but it could be one of those situations where he is working out daily and eating right to pack on the lbs for the combine. However once he starts playing football and going through a weekly practice schedule, the weight comes off. Norwood was 210 at the combine but is now listed at 204.

matt_jennifer (2/24/2008)
How about people start to talk about Jamaal Charles who ran a 4.37 in the 40 and in three years at texas he totaled 3328 rushing yards on 533 attempts which is an average of 6.24 yards a carry with 36 touchdowns. He also piled up 539 recieving yards on 49 receptions which is an average of 11 yards a reception with 3 touchdowns. He is also the same height and weight 6'1 205 pounds as mcfadden and charles will be there in the second round. So that way we can get a great ol or dl with our #3 pick in the draft. Mcfadden had less yards an average carry and less receiving yards and receiving yards an reception. He is also barely slower than Mcfadden whose official time was 4.33.

Charles measures up at 5'11'' 200 lbs. He is a clone of Norwood. The Falcons need a power back to compliment Norwood. Two change of pace backs does nothing for short yardage and games where its a slug fest.

larry miller (2/24/2008)
Being a Bills fan I saw a lot of Mularkey. While I liked him as a person, he wasn't a good HC for Buffalo. That's not saying he won't be a good OC in Atl, but history does tend to repeat itself.

Now to my point, McFadden reminds me a little of Willis McGahee, similar size, good breakaway speed, and better at running toward the outside. It seems to me that MM couldn't tap into McGahee's potential, and the team often found itself in third and long. McFadden is a good back, no doubt, but he also split carries in Arkansas, and never did show a tendency to get through the middle.

The RB that I really like is Jonathan Stewart. Will Atlanta draft him third overall? Very doubtful, but, I think he will be the best RB in the draft.

The guy that may fit ATL better is Ray Rice. He can pound the middle, and while he won't be the breakaway type runner, combine him with Dunn and Norwood, and that could be a very deadly running game. Rice could stay on the board till the third as well, making him much less costly than DMac

I agree Mularky stunk at a HC and couldnt get Willis to be a breakout back...But with mularky like the trick plays McFadden will be considered by the falcons....he can throw the ball and even take snap at qb if mularkey wanted to do so..but willis was also screwed by play calling and bad oline in buffalo even after mularkey.

Tashard Choice...At the combine today, it was mentioned that he is 2nd best COMPLETE bac behind Mendenhall...Choice can run, block, and catch out of the backfield...He was arguably the top RB performer at the Senior Bowl which helped his stock tremendously...This guy is an outspoken leader in the locker room that wants to be a winner! Bring him home TD!