Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazoo

DeAngelo Hall has been part of the problem, not part of solution

201 posts in this topic

I LOVE DeAngelo Halls play on the field most weeks in most years. He has all the ability in the world to be one of the best prue cover corners in the NFL. If we were a Super Bowl contender I would not want to trade him, but we are trying to build a team right now. The timing is a factor here, someting nobody is talking about. Yes, he may help a team like Dallas or the Giants RIGT NOW, but we are not anywhere near where those teams are.

My problem with DeAngelo has to do with his selfishness, self centeredness and 8 year old maturity level . There is one thing you cannot deny on the New England roster, the culture of "we". With rare exception, New England player are united and play as a team. This locker room unity is one of the secrets of long term success. Locker room unity is very underated by most fans, but not by our new GM Dimitroff.

Exhibit A:

Ultimate "Me player". Trying to pad his interception stats at the end of halftime on Hail Mary instead of hitting ball to ground as most team players would have done. He didn't have his teams back, he had his own back.

Exhibit B:

Media Mouth Piece- DeAngelos chronic media diarhea is and has been unaccaptable. I ma not talking about an isolated incident, I'm talking about a pattern of unprofessional demands and crying about him not getting what he thinks he should be getting. The latest "Falcons stabbed me in the back" blames the Falcons for his own behavoirs that put him up on the trading block i the first place. Hall can't even see his own part in all this. My opinion is that he has stabbed his teammates and coaches in the back several times, he needs to SHUT TF UP for once.

Exhibit C:

On field meltdowns. These are also a pattern that harm the team. When he gets mad, he loses it.....he acts like a little baby and becom,es completely out of control, screaming at the coaches, refs, drawing 15 yard penalties by the bunch. When he gets beat he comes completely unglued at times.

Exhibit D:

Inconsistent performance level. A $10 Mill per year player should NOT EVER take a game off, he took most of the 2006 season off and just coasted. He wants to be payed like a Super Star but he does not always play like one. The problem wasn;t just 2006, his play goes way up and down throughout a season.

Exhibit E:

Not always coachable. Being as selfish as he is, he tells the coaches what he will and won't do.....it's all about what's best for him and has little to do with what's best for his teammates.

I say that Hall is part of the problem, not part of the solution. We need to build a locker room culture here that is a "we" culture. I am al for letting this locker room cancer go becuase in the long run, that $10 Mill per year could be better spent. His ABILTY to play well is overshadowed by his inconsistency, high pay demands and locker room presence.

birdweiserrr (2/24/2008)
What the ****??? I agree with Gazoo?

So do I.

Probably the best description of why Hall has to go I've seen.

Gotta give credit where it's due, good post and very true.

If we were contenders I say keep him, but we are rebuilding and a rebuilding team can't pay 1 player 10 million a year.

Personally, I couldn't agree more. "MeAngelo" is all about himself and needs to grow up. I don't see how anyone can justify paying a team 'distraction' big money to go out there and literally lose a game by himself (Carolina) with his on-the-field actions. What if the Falcons had managed to turn around this past year and needed that one game to make the playoffs? Luckily that didn't happen but everyone did get a glimpse of what a poor sport many athletes become.

It especially seems poor sportmanship is rampant in athletes from Virginia Tech (also Miami and FSU are notable) as everyone remembers Mike Vick's birdies and his little brother's conduct that got him kicked off of the VT team.

I personally hope that we are able to deal MeAngelo for a first round pick and that we use the pick wisely and not pick from the afforementioned schools. We have many needs and this draft is deep in addressing these needs. There are also several good DB's available as well as OL and DL picks that we desperately need. Getting an awesome DL would enable us to not need someone of MeAngelo's talent (and baggage). The best coverage on WR's is an awesome pass rush that has the QB running for his life! My case in point, this year's Super Bowl!

stoneweiser (2/24/2008)
We might as well go ahead and clean house.Get rid of the sour apples and plant a whole new tree!!!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

btrain5489 (2/23/2008)

How many of those ideal teams exist in the NFL? How many we are one, no man alone is more important than the whole teams are there in the league?

None and we're talking about how many teams live it not how many teams say it.

You like to think the Pats are and they like to claim they are but that's bs. The Pats have plenty of stars that want to get theirs. It just happens that getting theirs = getting a ring so everyone's focus is aligned. Its easy to push that team concept when everyone's goal is the same and everyone knows they have a good shot at achieving that goal. However, when your team is in the crapper the only way you can get that kind of cohesion is by putting together a bunch of guys that are just happy to be in the NFL, which is what TD seems to be doing. They won't win many games but boy they'll lose as a team. The only difference between the Falcons of the past few seasons and the Pats is that they're better coached and they have better players. The Pats aren't a bunch of scrubs that play beyond their capabilities because they play as a team. Their story isn't as romantic and bubbly as some of you would like to think.

This is the situation we're looking at right here.

Sorry Gazoo....you and I are usually on the same side of the argument, but I have to respectfully disagree...

You say he was a cancer, could you provide a link from anyone credible. And why would the new HC want to keep him...if that is so.

Why are "winning franchises (the ones that have won SB's) interested in acquiring him.

Also, isn't this the same argument for bringing Moss and TO here, but the reason you want to get rid of a D-Hall?

And for the last time, we are not Patriots. The Giants didn't win this year, trying to be like the Patriots.

As far as rebuilding, this team has been rebuilding since it arrived in Atl. Rebulding is a excuse given to the fanbase...to ignore the current results and expect better next year.

You are doing the exact thing that you accuse other posters of doing. When players are on their way out, they "weren't" worth the trouble anyway. As far as 2006 goes, I seriously doubt D-Hall was begging for the 10+ yard cushion that he was giving WRs.

Rev AL Sharpton (2/24/2008)
Sorry Gazoo....you and I are usually on the same side of the argument, but I have to respectfully disagree...

You say he was a cancer, could you provide a link from anyone credible. And why would the new HC want to keep him...if that is so.

Why are "winning franchises (the ones that have won SB's) interested in acquiring him.

Also, isn't this the same argument for bringing Moss and TO here, but the reason you want to get rid of a D-Hall?

And for the last time, we are not Patriots. The Giants didn't win this year, trying to be like the Patriots.

As far as rebuilding, this team has been rebuilding since it arrived in Atl. Rebulding is a excuse given to the fanbase...to ignore the current results and expect better next year.

You are doing the exact thing that you accuse other posters of doing. When players are on their way out, they "weren't" worth the trouble anyway. As far as 2006 goes, I seriously doubt D-Hall was begging for the 10+ yard cushion that he was giving WRs.

I don't like to agree wit u Rev. but hey all of that stuff is true.

Rev AL Sharpton (2/24/2008)

Good post Rev. It's amazing how awful players were when it's learned that they might be on their way off of the team. I think that's what get me the most. Do undermine their production because it's likely they won't be here next year. Deangelo is a great assest to this team.

Good post. I agree. I constantly defended MeAngelo's on the field play and feel like he's a great corner... too bad his attitude, mouth and selfishness totally ruins him for me.

He reminds me of this girl that was on my softball team a long time ago lol. She was an awesome batter, hit home runs all the time, and a decent 3rd basewoman. But she got cocky and kept saying if she couldn't play 1st base she was going to leave and join one of our rival teams bla bla and eventually she did it. Well she couldn't catch the ball consistently enough to be 1st base so they stuck her at catcher LOL

ok story over haha I just hope D-Hal learns a lesson (the world doesn't revolve around him) at his new team.

YoungHeezy (2/24/2008)
btrain5489 (2/23/2008)

How many of those ideal teams exist in the NFL? How many we are one, no man alone is more important than the whole teams are there in the league?

None and we're talking about how many teams live it not how many teams say it.

You like to think the Pats are and they like to claim they are but that's bs. The Pats have plenty of stars that want to get theirs. It just happens that getting theirs = getting a ring so everyone's focus is aligned. Its easy to push that team concept when everyone's goal is the same and everyone knows they have a good shot at achieving that goal. However, when your team is in the crapper the only way you can get that kind of cohesion is by putting together a bunch of guys that are just happy to be in the NFL, which is what TD seems to be doing. They won't win many games but boy they'll lose as a team. The only difference between the Falcons of the past few seasons and the Pats is that they're better coached and they have better players. The Pats aren't a bunch of scrubs that play beyond their capabilities because they play as a team. Their story isn't as romantic and bubbly as some of you would like to think.

This is the situation we're looking at right here.

Exactly...but watch the sentiment after about week 5...just wait.

It frustrates me that a great deal of this is true about Hall. It frustrates me because of the obvious skill he does have as a cornerback. It frustrates me because deep down I don't even really believe that Hall is a bad guy. It frustrates me (and should concern Hall himself) because he will probably never reach the level he could attain as a football player because of his refusal to mature.

It pains me and frustrates me because all of this drama that Hall creates himself will result in his talent and skills being utilized by another team.

If this franchise tries to model itself after the Pats then we are in for a letdown most likely. But I think this whole "we/Pats thing is overrated. Randy Moss was once known as a me guy, Corey Dillon was once known as a me guy. Winning cures everything it's simple as that.

Sorry but the way people have been posting lately talking about a Patriots atmosphere,I have a feeling that it will be some sad folks in a few years when they see how trying to like the Pats can go wrong if that's what we are trying to do.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (2/24/2008)
If this franchise tries to model itself after the Pats then we are in for a letdown most likely.
**** yea