WHY THE HECK WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THE THIRD PICK IF OUR INTENTIONS WAS TO DRAFT MATT RYAN

magnus23

The only team that might draft Matt Ryan would be Miami with the first pick overall.

If our intention was to draft Matt Ryan ... the only thing the coin toss afforded us is a PAY INCREASE for Matt.

We are not going to draft Matt Ryan.

He is not worth a third ... and TD will want to flex his muscle finding value at the second or third round for a possible future QB.

We will try to draft someone that we could not have drafted otherwise ... likely Dorsey, if not Long, if not Ellis.

My point is .... we are not going to get Matt ....

If that was our intention ... we would not be happy with this coin toss.

...but we are happy about it.

Why?

Because it does give us more leverage in the unlikely scenario that we can trade down ... (we will need to get a heck of a lot).

And - it gives us a shot at getting an elite interior lineman.

Don't forget you guys are also closer to being able to trade UP.

Parcells may want Ryan - no one knows. If he does, he will want to move down to get him (if he feels secure that no one else would take him @ 1).

There are a couple good lineman on the top end of this draft. But your FO may love one more than the others and go after him at all costs - and they may have to be @ 1 or 2 to get him. Nothing wrong with getting the 3rd pick in that flip, even if your FO wanted Ryan. There are always teams looking to move around.

mcmvp (2/24/2008)

Parcells may want Ryan - no one knows. If he does, he will want to move down to get him (if he feels secure that no one else would take him @ 1).

There are a couple good lineman on the top end of this draft. But your FO may love one more than the others and go after him at all costs - and they may have to be @ 1 or 2 to get him. Nothing wrong with getting the 3rd pick in that flip, even if your FO wanted Ryan. There are always teams looking to move around.

I think you are missing his point.

He is not saying that getting the third pick is a bad thing.

We all want to trade down if possible.

What he is saying is .... the third pick is a bad thing if you are intending to draft Matt Ryan.

jonahfalcon (2/24/2008)
mcmvp (2/24/2008)

What he is saying is .... the third pick is a bad thing if you are intending to draft Matt Ryan.

And I can't understand how the 3rd pick would be bad even in that case. You would trade out of it - get more picks (or players - or both) - and still get him.

Why do people think it's impossible to trade down out of 3?

jonahfalcon (2/24/2008)
mcmvp (2/24/2008)

I dont want to trade down.You get the best player available.The talent and value at 3 is so much higher than a late or middle 1st rounder.Tradeing down seems like a copout to me.Its like saying hey we dont know what to do so go with the shotgun draft and hope we land some talent.

mcmvp (2/24/2008)
jonahfalcon (2/24/2008)
mcmvp (2/24/2008)

We don't want to trade up and lose picks. Who would we trade up for? Dorsey, who might be there anyway, Long who might be there anyway?

TDs specialty is the draft ... the more picks he gets .... the more he likes it.

It is just a difficult thing to do.

Every year the worst teams try and trade down because the worst teams have more holes to fill ... and they don't want to spend the money on one player.

And almost every year ... that trade does not happen.

And to trade down and still get Matt Ryan is a near impossibility.

He will still go in the top ten or fifteen worst case .... and any likely trade partners are outside of that draft range.

Rev.Jesse Jackson. (2/24/2008)
Don't know Don't care.

After all that talk & personal criticism, much of it constructive, that you took last night - it is really wonderful to see how you took it to heart and really worked on improving the quality of your posts.

Dorsey, Ellis, Long - any of those would make me a very happy fan. Just no QB that early.

I think the tradeing down philosophy is a cleche.More picks?If your looking for special teamers sure.If your looking for starters you need high picks.Trade a top 3 pick and watch a guy have a hall of fame career or get a couple of extra picks?If thomas has the eye he should lock up the best or next to best player in the whole draft with the 3rd pick.;)

bigduke633 (2/24/2008)
I think the tradeing down philosophy is a cleche.More picks?If your looking for special teamers sure.If your looking for starters you need high picks.Trade a top 3 pick and watch a guy have a hall of fame career or get a couple of extra picks?If thomas has the eye he should lock up the best or next to best player in the whole draft with the 3rd pick.;)

All depends on how far down you trade. If it's only a few spots you are looking at a lot in return and you are still picking a potential stud

bigduke633 (2/24/2008)

I'm with you on this one BD. I'm happy w/where we are, and they need to get some stud players, not a bunch of guys that are going to take longer to develop. I worry about whether TD will do this though, just because of his affectation for more picks. Maybe w/losing so many of our talent players via cuts/trades, Mike Smith will be able to influence him that that talent needs to be replaced in a more ready-to-go package.

mcmvp (2/24/2008)
bigduke633 (2/24/2008)

All depends on how far down you trade. If it's only a few spots you are looking at a lot in return and you are still picking a potential stud

The difference between 3rd and 10 or 12 is huge.Heck 5th is a drop off.You can bad mouth mckay if you want but I always thought the place to move is generally up around the late 1st round or early 2nd round.