Jake Long - 3rd Fastest Cone Drill

ATLFalcon36

atlfalcon36 (2/24/2008)
A lot of people are saying he's a RT, he's too slow to play LT in the NFL... I don't know how the 3-cone drill relates to their speed and quickness as lineman, but he had the 3rd fastest 3-cone drill of any other O-lineman...

I want Jake Long more than anyone else, with Sedrick Ellis second...

It's not that he's too slow to play LT...he isn't...he's even athletic enough to be servicable in pass protection...but that's it...he'll be solid in pass protection...that's not good enough, to spend the no. 3 pick on him....we already have a solid RT....we need a pass protector for the blindside...that isn't Jake Long...IMO

mr pickle (2/24/2008)
atlfalcon36 (2/24/2008)
A lot of people are saying he's a RT, he's too slow to play LT in the NFL... I don't know how the 3-cone drill relates to their speed and quickness as lineman, but he had the 3rd fastest 3-cone drill of any other O-lineman...

It's not that he's too slow to play LT...he isn't...he's even athletic enough to be servicable in pass protection...but that's it...he'll be solid in pass protection...that's not good enough, to spend the no. 3 pick on him....we already have a solid RT....we need a pass protector for the blindside...that isn't Jake Long...IMO

wow amazing that you can know that before he has played a down.. i love people that come out with comments like this... its like they have never dissected LT's coming out of college before

grendel (2/24/2008)
Petrino is NOT my hero (2/24/2008)
mr pickle (2/24/2008)
atlfalcon36 (2/24/2008)

wow amazing that you can know that before he has played a down.. i love people that come out with comments like this... its like they have never dissected LT's coming out of college before

Or like they've watched the guy play in real games against speed rushers.

Sometimes i wonder if your a kid who makes a bunch of ##### up... cause i remember the michigan state game.. and he did own the crap out of saint-dic.. so i don't really understand how you could say otherwise in a different thread... i mean its almost like you make ##### up to suit your arguments...

grendel (2/24/2008)
atlfalcon36 (2/24/2008)

...if only he could do it in pads, in the games...

Thats why you're NUB

geminiBG (2/24/2008)
i say definitlety trade d hall so we can get another 1st rd pick. take long on the 3rd...and then get the best dt we can with whatever our next spot is

that would be a good idea but i do not think there is any team that would take Hall for a high pick in this years draft... the prospects look all to good

i watched him do some of those drills and i wasnt as impressed with him as i was with joe thomas. when long was doing some of those drills he seemed real stiff and had limited knee bend. he didnt look near as fluid as thomas did.

jeff otah was another player that was real slow footed and stiff. i really think he hurt himself yesterday.

geminiBG (2/24/2008)
i say definitlety trade d hall so we can get another 1st rd pick. take long on the 3rd...and then get the best dt we can with whatever our next spot is

Actually, I would say we should take Ellis or Dorsey with the no. 3 pick, and then take the best OT at the 2nd 1st round spot.

I say this because the gap between Long and the rest of the Olinemen, ESPECIALLY when you are talking about their potential/abillity to play left tackle, is MUCH smaller than the gap between Dorsey/Ellis, and the next best DT(Kentwan Balmer)...So Ellis/Chris Williams would be a much better tandem of players(again, especially considering the need at LT is much larger for than the need at RT) than Long/Balmer or Sims

brooking/beast (2/24/2008)
the dude has 11.5" hand spread a 3 foot reach hes a freaking monster. He would dominate at our RT spot for at least 10 years. good invesment, of a pick outside the top 5, for a team that needs a RT more than anything else, but since that's not us, we should pass on him.

There, I fixed it for you.

Falconfan4197 (2/24/2008)
geminiBG (2/24/2008)

that would be a good idea but i do not think there is any team that would take Hall for a high pick in this years draft... the prospects look all to good

Hall is a better looking prospect than all but a halfdozen players in this draft, and has zero bust factor, or the need to adjust to the NFL...he will be traded for a high pick(s).

atlfalcon36 (2/24/2008)

Yeah , I must confess I was one that was questioning his quickness , that was my only conceern with him , I have been very impressed with him in the combines , and he is one of two players that has been taking the show , the other being the TE . I tell ya I would really love to have Long , It makes me think a lot more on the matter .

Where has Steve Bartkowski been , he loved the guy and should be all over this . If we took Him , I couldn't say a word . Not that I would or will in Robb4242s Draft that will be starting right after the Combines , but I will think more about it, I have the Falcons this year.

mr pickle (2/24/2008)
atlfalcon36 (2/24/2008)

Seems a lot of people just don't understand the importance of the 3 cone drill. It's about as important, if not more important than actual 40 times for almost all positions. If you can do well in the 3 cone drill, you are extremely athletic. This is completely different from being fast. You can take some world class runners and have them do the 3 cone drill, and they will suck at it. This is a test that measures more than just your speed.

3 Cone Drill

The 3 Cone Drill is the newest addition to the NFL scouting combine, replacing the 4 Cone or Box drill. The 3 cone drill is also a test of speed, explosion, and changing directions. Each prospect will be timed by seconds in how fast they can sprint ten yards, back, back again and around a third cone parallel to the 2nd.

The Drill: Three orange cones are placed on the field forming an "L." Cone 1 is at the end of the L, Cone 2 is at the corner of the L and Cone 3 is at the top of the L. There are 5 yards between each cone. The player starts by getting down in a three-point stance next to Cone 1. He runs to Cone 2, bends down and touches a line with his right hand. Then he turns and runs back to Cone 1, bends down and touches that line with his right hand. Then he runs back to Cone 2 and around the outside of it, weaves inside Cone 3 (as if he were running a figure eight), then cuts tightly around the outside of Cones 3 and 2 before finishing at Cone 1 in a full sprint.

What it tests: Speed, quickness, flexibility, change of direction, body control.

Those things it's testing were all knocks on Jake Long going into the combine, and if he's the 3rd best OL in this drill, I'd say he's answered a LOT of the questions about him, and solidified his spot in the top 4.

He got through it quickly...but he looked stiff doing it.....The movements you engage in in that drill are not the same as those you engage in during pass protection...The 3cone measures your ability to turn and accelerate...pass pro is lateral agility, flexibility, and foot speed/balance.

He's impressed me at the combine...I think he can be a better LT than I originally thought...but he's still going to struggle with speed rushers at the NFL level...JUST LIKE HE DID IN COLLEGE.

He's a guy who tests out more athletic than he plays.....Just watch the tape.

it's not like Weiner is a dominant force at RT anyway (though he's pretty decent and serviceable). basically we need to upgrade every position on the o-line except LG in the next 2 years. i do agree LT is more of a position of need, or at least is seems that way. honestly i liked renardo foster waaaaay better than Gandy. but that's not saying much.

bottomline: Jake Long couldn't hurt, and I'd be very happy if we took him at #3.