mcfadden and his legs

McFadden has seemingly fallen out of popularity on these boards, and I really don't know why. I guess it's in large due to the bar incidents he's had. I wish I knew more about what actually happened. McFadden openly admitted it was his fault, and he said he has put those events behind him, and is willing to accept full responsbility. Not much good can happen when you combine college students and alcohol at a bar.

McFadden for months has been the #1 ranked player on most boards. His athleticism, speed, and toughness, compiled with what he did throughout his career in the SEC is unbelievable.

I love the thought of coupling both Norwood and McFadden in the backfield numerous times throughout a game. The threat both of those guys provide would be enough to cause chaos in the best of defenses. Given Mularkey's creativity in designing trick plays, as well as his run first mentality, I think McFadden would be an excellent pick.

Mayock says McFadden's legs go "dead" on contact, but I've seen him keep his legs moving and gain additional yardage plenty of times. A kick return he had in Arkansas' bowl game further proved that.

scott24falcs (2/23/2008)
McFadden has seemingly fallen out of popularity on these boards, and I really don't know why. I guess it's in large due to the bar incidents he's had. I wish I knew more about what actually happened. McFadden openly admitted it was his fault, and he said he has put those events behind him, and is willing to accept full responsbility. Not much good can happen when you combine college students and alcohol at a bar.

McFadden for months has been the #1 ranked player on most boards. His athleticism, speed, and toughness, compiled with what he did throughout his career in the SEC is unbelievable.

I love the thought of coupling both Norwood and McFadden in the backfield numerous times throughout a game. The threat both of those guys provide would be enough to cause chaos in the best of defenses. Given Mularkey's creativity in designing trick plays, as well as his run first mentality, I think McFadden would be an excellent pick.

Mayock says McFadden's legs go "dead" on contact, but I've seen him keep his legs moving and gain additional yardage plenty of times. A kick return he had in Arkansas' bowl game further proved that.

i agree and im waiting for mayock to show me proof of "his legs going dead" because everything i have seen of mcfadden doesnt not back up with what mayock is saying. this board is funny, one min they are all over a guy and then the next they think he is terrible.

well, i just think that at this point mcfadden is not worth enough to us to be the pick at #3. here are a couple reasons why.

one of the most popular reasons for drafting mcfadden for us or any other team in the top 5 or 6 is "look at what adrian peterson did for the vikings!". well, that is a very unique and special situation. AP dropped to #7 because of injury concerns, and in training camp it looked like he might miss the beginning of the season because of an injury and he also got injured again during a game against the packers in the regular season. however, he had a good rb in chester taylor to help wear down the defense for him, and at the beginning of the year when he wasnt the starter he was dominating defenses with his "ill hit you before you hit me" running style. but not only did he have a good RB to help take pressure off of him as a rookie, he had what is likely the best offensive line in the NFL blocking for him, and that definately contributed to him being the offensive rookie of the year, all of those things.

now, lets look at the offensive lines for the top 6 teams in the draft:

Miami- has a couple good pieces in vernon carey and samson satelle but both OG spots need upgrading and if they can get a good LT prospect carey could be moved over to RT.

St. Louis- they had a good offensive line at one point, but they need to decide if barron can play LT or if they need to draft one to eventually replace orlando pace, and the C position needs upgrading as well. they need to draft a C and an OT one way or another.

Atlanta- we all know that our offensive line is 100% up in the air. even blalock struggled last year, and needs to improve his lower body strength to retain his starting spot at LG. we have no LT, mcclure should be released imo, if not this year then next year, forney will be gone and weiner could also be released. we are in the middle of a huge overhaul, and it will be at least a year before all our new pieces gel together.

Oakland- they have some of the same problems we have, and could use an upgrade at OT and C, but with gallery at OG they seem to be in ok shape in that regard. but definately have upgrades to make along the offensive line. they have needed help there for a while, just like the falcons have.

Kansas City- They need to fill the shoes of Willie Roaf and at OT and Brian Waters (i think it was him at least) at OG and they have not done that yet. once they upgrade those positions they should be fine with LJ and Priest Holmes in the backfield, and could definately look to add a very quick, big gain RB on the 2nd day of the draft.

New York Jets- might be in the best situation as far as OL goes but that isnt saying too much. i dont know much about how D-Brick and Nick Mangold are doing, but it is hard to be any worse than the falcons or the raiders as far as the offensive line is concerned.

now, the jets would almost certainly take mcfadden if he lasted that long, but look at the offensive lines for these teams! they are all bad or at the very, VERY best they are average. why would these teams make mcfadden their top priority when they all need help along the offensive line along with other more pressing needs? the jets could use mcfadden to help give their offense some pop, and they have some ol pieces in place, but there really isnt any excuse for the other teams to draft mcfadden over guys like: jake long, ryan clady, glenn dorsey or sedrick ellis. they are all as good as mcfadden, imo, and would fill a bigger need for most any team in the top 5 than mcfadden would. chris long would also be involved, i forgot to put him because i was thinking from the falcons standpoint for a second.

anyways, mcfadden reminds me more of marshall faulk the way he is such a great threat out of the backfield and is such a complete player, even though he is a bit bigger than faulk was. they have a similar style and are absolutely deadly in the open field. however, we have a guy like that in jerious norwood, and if we draft mcfadden we will have tons of speed and playmaking ability in the open field, but we still wont be able to pound the rock when we need a first down or when we are in the red zone, and that will leave us in the same place we were when we were in the ZBS or last year, when we couldnt gain the tough yards when we needed them.

give me jake long or clady to help run block better and pass block better or give me ellis or dorsey to help stop the run better. this is the deepest RB class ive seen in a while, so we can get great value on a power back later in the draft, why spend the #3 overall pick on one?

scott24falcs (2/23/2008)

McFadden has lost popularity because several 12-year olds that think they know how football really works at the NFL level because they watch ESPN and believe that a team's success is founded entirely on the offensive line and giant slabs of meat playing running back.

Mr. Offseason (2/23/2008)
well, i just think that at this point mcfadden is not worth enough to us to be the pick at #3. here are a couple reasons why.

one of the most popular reasons for drafting mcfadden for us or any other team in the top 5 or 6 is "look at what adrian peterson did for the vikings!". well, that is a very unique and special situation. AP dropped to #7 because of injury concerns, and in training camp it looked like he might miss the beginning of the season because of an injury and he also got injured again during a game against the packers in the regular season. however, he had a good rb in chester taylor to help wear down the defense for him, and at the beginning of the year when he wasnt the starter he was dominating defenses with his "ill hit you before you hit me" running style. but not only did he have a good RB to help take pressure off of him as a rookie, he had what is likely the best offensive line in the NFL blocking for him, and that definately contributed to him being the offensive rookie of the year, all of those things.

now, lets look at the offensive lines for the top 6 teams in the draft:

Miami- has a couple good pieces in vernon carey and samson satelle but both OG spots need upgrading and if they can get a good LT prospect carey could be moved over to RT.

St. Louis- they had a good offensive line at one point, but they need to decide if barron can play LT or if they need to draft one to eventually replace orlando pace, and the C position needs upgrading as well. they need to draft a C and an OT one way or another.

Atlanta- we all know that our offensive line is 100% up in the air. even blalock struggled last year, and needs to improve his lower body strength to retain his starting spot at LG. we have no LT, mcclure should be released imo, if not this year then next year, forney will be gone and weiner could also be released. we are in the middle of a huge overhaul, and it will be at least a year before all our new pieces gel together.

Oakland- they have some of the same problems we have, and could use an upgrade at OT and C, but with gallery at OG they seem to be in ok shape in that regard. but definately have upgrades to make along the offensive line. they have needed help there for a while, just like the falcons have.

Kansas City- They need to fill the shoes of Willie Roaf and at OT and Brian Waters (i think it was him at least) at OG and they have not done that yet. once they upgrade those positions they should be fine with LJ and Priest Holmes in the backfield, and could definately look to add a very quick, big gain RB on the 2nd day of the draft.

New York Jets- might be in the best situation as far as OL goes but that isnt saying too much. i dont know much about how D-Brick and Nick Mangold are doing, but it is hard to be any worse than the falcons or the raiders as far as the offensive line is concerned.

now, the jets would almost certainly take mcfadden if he lasted that long, but look at the offensive lines for these teams! they are all bad or at the very, VERY best they are average. why would these teams make mcfadden their top priority when they all need help along the offensive line along with other more pressing needs? the jets could use mcfadden to help give their offense some pop, and they have some ol pieces in place, but there really isnt any excuse for the other teams to draft mcfadden over guys like: jake long, ryan clady, glenn dorsey or sedrick ellis. they are all as good as mcfadden, imo, and would fill a bigger need for most any team in the top 5 than mcfadden would. chris long would also be involved, i forgot to put him because i was thinking from the falcons standpoint for a second.

anyways, mcfadden reminds me more of marshall faulk the way he is such a great threat out of the backfield and is such a complete player, even though he is a bit bigger than faulk was. they have a similar style and are absolutely deadly in the open field. however, we have a guy like that in jerious norwood, and if we draft mcfadden we will have tons of speed and playmaking ability in the open field, but we still wont be able to pound the rock when we need a first down or when we are in the red zone, and that will leave us in the same place we were when we were in the ZBS or last year, when we couldnt gain the tough yards when we needed them.

give me jake long or clady to help run block better and pass block better or give me ellis or dorsey to help stop the run better. this is the deepest RB class ive seen in a while, so we can get great value on a power back later in the draft, why spend the #3 overall pick on one?

so you are saying you would rather draft clady at 3 then mcfadden???? im sorry but that would be crazy.

My opinion is you don't get a top 3 pick very often, and you are going to have to pay out big bucks anyways no matter who we draft at three. This franchise is about as dismal as it has been in a long time. Give me the Superstar now and then build the offensive line. we can pick a tackle in the second or trade for another first rounder at this point. Give me something I can get excited about, A franchise player, and I will be quite content waiting for the O line to form, We won't get a shot at a RB like mcfadden next year IMO, but I bet we can get a tackle where we draft that will be comparable to a Clady or Otah, or maybe even Long! seize the opportunity and grab the superstar!