Eric Ainge

SpikeSpiegel

brvslugger10 (2/23/2008)
Weak arm...Nope

Not to mention he did have a pretty decent O-line.

That's something the Falcons need to think of I believe is getting a QB that comes from a team that not only can play the game good, but from a team that didn't have a good O-line also.

What I mean by that is if that's the case then with a good O-line providing the Falcons O-line gets fixed, then they are only by simple logic get better as a QB.

mbrizzle (2/23/2008)
While I dont really disagree with what all of you are saying. He's one of those guys that really wouldnt shock me if he ended up being a pretty solid QB, and got to a place where he could really just run an effective offense.

Me too. Not saying he's my first choice as a Falcon, but I think he's going to be one of those guys that may take a while to develop, but eventually do OK, or maybe better than ok. I don't know much about his arm strength, but I did notice he gets the ball out pretty well.

freeze1st (2/23/2008)
Boley59 (2/23/2008)
he just lacks the swagger to be a good qb in this league his tendencies on the feel spell fear when i watch him.

He just sucks is the best way to put it!

GO UGA BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!! GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe that will inform you a little more as to my opinion my friend.:D:P:w00t:

He sucks so bad that he is 3-0 against the UGA bulldogs, once in Athens when UGA was number 3 and unbeaten and the other two were emabrassing blowouts, go UGA! Assface.

He's better then Andre Woodson, and regardless to what you think Ainge didn't have ##### for weapons this year, AND played with a broken finger on his throwing hand for the most part. He had a good TD to INT ratio, and about his offensive line? Crompton was sacked twice in limited action this season whereas Ainge was sacked 3 times in having seen 99% of the snaps. Maybe it had something to do with his release and ability to read coverages?

Stop thinking back to the one game you watched, which was the SEC championship, he had 3 years of start exp before that.

Warningx13 (2/23/2008)

He's better then Andre Woodson, and regardless to what you think Ainge didn't have ##### for weapons this year,

As a person who has seen every game of Ainge's career, I cannot decide which of these two statements I disagree with the most. If you had said the Earth is flat and the sun will not rise tomorrow, my disagreement would be no more than equal.

There is nothing I ever thought that would make me stop being a Falcons fan but if we drafted Ainge, I might reconsider. I felt such a sense of relief when I finally got rid of him for my college team. Ainge is the scary kind of pyrite. He looks like gold right up until you realize your mistake too late. Fortunately, he doesn't have the arm for a vertical offense so I don't expect him to be on our draft board.

jidady (2/23/2008)
Warningx13 (2/23/2008)

He's better then Andre Woodson, and regardless to what you think Ainge didn't have ##### for weapons this year,

As a person who has seen every game of Ainge's career, I cannot decide which of these two statements I disagree with the most. If you had said the Earth is flat and the sun will not rise tomorrow, my disagreement would be no more than equal.

There is nothing I ever thought that would make me stop being a Falcons fan but if we drafted Ainge, I might reconsider. I felt such a sense of relief when I finally got rid of him for my college team. Ainge is the scary kind of pyrite. He looks like gold right up until you realize your mistake too late. Fortunately, he doesn't have the arm for a vertical offense so I don't expect him to be on our draft board.

Im willing to let is slide about Woodson but who are his weapons? Lucas Taylor? Come on. They were all young and had no ability to get down field, thats why he didn't throw down field this year, but apparently you have a short term memory because he threw down the field a lot when his finger wasnt broken on his throwing hand and he had recivers like Mechem last year.

Warningx13 (2/23/2008)

Im willing to let is slide about Woodson but who are his weapons? Lucas Taylor? Come on. They were all young and had no ability to get down field, thats why he didn't throw down field this year,

Oh, for the love of...That's just flat out wrong. Ainge is a disaster when he tries to stretch the field vertically. The entire reason why Crompton captivated UT fans when he planned is that he aired the ball out instead of throwing a constant barrage of screens, dumps, checkdowns and the like. UT's system didn't even bother with a 7 step drop with Ainge on the field. That's telling.

And the lack of surrounding talent comment is just a joke. UT's three receiver set featured two five-star recruits and a four-star recruit. Both of our TEs are draft picks, our RB was given a 2nd round grade if he had come out this year and it's statistically the best offensive lines in college football in 15 years. Let's not waste each other's time wondering which of us knows UT's roster better.

Wow. I despise UT almost as much as I hate UF, but to hear the Vol fans saying not to draft Ainge makes me cringe. I thought the guy, regardless of his less than stellar arm strength, would be a solid late round pickup if we didn't want to burn a pick on a QB in the early rounds.

Does he suck that badly? All I can ever remember the guy doing is wearing out UGA.

From 'TheWarRoom'

"Strengths: Above average frame...NFL caliber arm strength& .can effectively throw the deep ball& smooth, over the top throwing motion and delivery..solid mechanics& excellent vision down field& 4 year starter, with plently of experience against the top competition that college football has to offer& mentally and physically NFL ready&

Weaknesses: Inconsistent play plagued collegiate career...even more than the other quarterbacks in this class, Ainge s dramatic lack of mobility is a cause for concern& conservative team game plan limited big plays and overall body of work& could use more strength on large frame& has a tendency to lock on to one or two receiving options& needs to go through his progression more rapidly& has he maxed out, or is there still room for upside ?

Overall: Erik Ainge has ideal size and arm strength for an NFL prospect, but his up and down collegiate career drops him right below the top tier quarterbacks in the 2008 Draft class. He would appear to be a poor man s version of Drew Bledsoe, but in today s NFL with hybrid defenders, having a QB with such a lack of mobility can be a dangerous proposition. He has a good arm, but he will need a good offensive line as well to have a shot at the next level. All inconsistencies aside, Erik Ainge is still a solid QB prospect and is a potential pick in the top 3 rounds of the 2008 Draft."

For whatever reason, he always had his best games against Georgia.

There are four plays that define Ainge for me. The first was the LSU game as a sophomore where, standing in his own end zone, he wet himself as the rush came and threw an underhanded cream puff right down to a defensive player for the easiest pick-6 I've ever seen. The second was the pick-6 against LSU that cost us an SEC Championship and gave them a national championship. No senior should ever make that pass, much less one in his 13th game of the year. The third and fourth go hand in hand. Against Vandy this past season, we were down in the 4th quarter when he threw a "screen pass" that was in reality a lateral that nearly was a game-ending fumble. Ainge spent the next week swearing that he had learned from that huge mistake. Against LSU, he did the same thing in the second half. That's Ainge in a nutshell. He looks the part but he'll break your heart in the end. I can totally understand why people who have only watched him occasionally would see his upside, but I've lived through the downside enough to know better.

jidady (2/23/2008)
Warningx13 (2/23/2008)

Im willing to let is slide about Woodson but who are his weapons? Lucas Taylor? Come on. They were all young and had no ability to get down field, thats why he didn't throw down field this year,

Oh, for the love of...That's just flat out wrong. Ainge is a disaster when he tries to stretch the field vertically. The entire reason why Crompton captivated UT fans when he planned is that he aired the ball out instead of throwing a constant barrage of screens, dumps, checkdowns and the like. UT's system didn't even bother with a 7 step drop with Ainge on the field. That's telling.

And the lack of surrounding talent comment is just a joke. UT's three receiver set featured two five-star recruits and a four-star recruit. Both of our TEs are draft picks, our RB was given a 2nd round grade if he had come out this year and it's statistically the best offensive lines in college football in 15 years. Let's not waste each other's time wondering which of us knows UT's roster better.

Just because they are 4 and 5 star recruits out of high school doesn't mean ##### in college, they performed well for freshmen but they definantly didn't break anything on their own, how often did you see yards after the catch this season??

Foster doesn't have the speed to be a weapon, he is a solid RB for sure but if he should have been gone in the SEC championship game, instead he was dragged won from behind.

Crompton was so captivating in limited action this year, throwing interceptions and getting sacked behind the offensive line, which is great im not contesting that either, but its not so great as to not give up sacks but the QB has the pocket awareness to get rid of the ball.

WHAT THE **** HAS ANY OF THE TEs DONE? Please tell me that, Cottam is rising on draft boards because of Size and the Senior bowl, he didn't do jack during the season, and in the Senior Bowl Ainge happened to lead the south to victory. Shut your face.

Warningx13 (2/23/2008)

Just because they are 4 and 5 star recruits out of high school doesn't mean ##### in college, they performed well for freshmen

Yeah, you're not helping yourself here. None of the three I referenced were freshmen. Gerald Jones, a guy I didn't mentioned who is also incredibly talented, was. He's another great example of how much talent we had in our receiver core. A guy like that couldn't make the field consistently until the last four games. That's what happens when the guys ahead of him catch 185 balls between them. That's right. The UT three WR set you just incorrectly assailed averaged 60 catches each. They played up to their 4/5 star billing and then some.

but they definantly didn't break anything on their own, how often did you see yards after the catch this season??

Are you joking? Due to Cutcliffe's genius on playcalling, we had four different passes of under 15 yards that went over 60. Our entire offense was predicated upon yards after the catch. That's why we ran so many screens and pick plays. Virtually every play in our system was predicated upon YAC.

Foster doesn't have the speed to be a weapon, he is a solid RB for sure but if he should have been gone in the SEC championship game, instead he was dragged won from behind.

Again, he had a second round grade in a marvelous draft for RBs. So, his talent is not in question.

WHAT THE **** HAS ANY OF THE TEs DONE? Please tell me that

Seriously, you need to stop. It's readily apparent that you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to UT football. This statement drives that point home if it wasn't obvious before. UT's TEs are so good that they dropped their FB set in 2006 despite the fact that they had a FB who was a draft prospect. With the Cottams and Chris Brown, it was regarded as the best TE core in school history. That's right. The offense you described as lesser contains a world class offensive line, our best TE depth chart ever, a first day RB, and a WR set that averages 60 catches each.