What is a good GMAT score for an MBA program like UGA?

jdu00743

I am taking the GMAT next Saturday, and I think I should end up doing pretty well on it, but I have no concept of the scale or anything like that.

My GPA is about in the middle of the students they normally accept, and I am a pretty strong standardized test taker, so I was wondering what I should be gunning for??

For instance, what is the equivalent GMAT score of like a 1440 (out of 1600) on the SAT??

GetUrMortyOn (2/23/2008)
I believe the national avg is around 540..if you get top 40% which is around 570 or up, you'll probaby easily get in the program...also if you did undergrad there, you're most likely a shoe in with a 600+ score.

Thanks Morty...I have been taking the practice tests from the GMAT company and I should get near perfect on the Math from the practice problems...Not much worse on the Verbal.

How is the score split up between Math and Verbal?

For the SAT it is pretty easy (800 & 800)

You'll need a good test score, but most importantly, you're going to need excellent letters of recommendation or an impressive work history. If you're considering, I'd highly recommend getting one solid letter of rec from a big time UGA prof if you can.

It's been several years since I got mine, but there was not much value placed upon those who go straight into the program from undergrad. In fact, I think we had maybe two who did that-and they had unique work backgrounds. You'll need a very high score if that's all you're bringing to the table.

They love diverse backgrounds and I think UGA undergrads made up less than 5% of our program. Just drop me a line if you want to know more...

gobige (2/25/2008)
You'll need a good test score, but most importantly, you're going to need excellent letters of recommendation or an impressive work history. If you're considering, I'd highly recommend getting one solid letter of rec from a big time UGA prof if you can.

It's been several years since I got mine, but there was not much value placed upon those who go straight into the program from undergrad. In fact, I think we had maybe two who did that-and they had unique work backgrounds. You'll need a very high score if that's all you're bringing to the table.

They love diverse backgrounds and I think UGA undergrads made up less than 5% of our program. Just drop me a line if you want to know more...

What's your e-mail, gobige?

Or if you don't want to post it, shoot me one at jdu00743@gmail.com

Thanks...

jdu00743 (2/23/2008)
I am taking the GMAT next Saturday, and I think I should end up doing pretty well on it, but I have no concept of the scale or anything like that.

My GPA is about in the middle of the students they normally accept, and I am a pretty strong standardized test taker, so I was wondering what I should be gunning for??

For instance, what is the equivalent GMAT score of like a 1440 (out of 1600) on the SAT??

In 2004, I was accepted into UGA's MBA program with a 580 GMAT, 3.60 GPA, and 9 years of work experience. I didn't enroll though. I don't think the GMAT is going to make or break you if you have other strong credentials to fall back on (work experience, strong GPA, letters of recommendation, etc).

young mr. grace (2/25/2008)
jdu00743 (2/23/2008)

In 2004, I was accepted into UGA's MBA program with a 580 GMAT, 3.60 GPA, and 9 years of work experience. I didn't enroll though. I don't think the GMAT is going to make or break you if you have other strong credentials to fall back on (work experience, strong GPA, letters of recommendation, etc).

Spot on.

young mr. grace (2/25/2008)
jdu00743 (2/23/2008)

The only work experience I have are Summer internships (most valuable being working for ING for two Summers), and prestigious non-profit I won't name on here.

I think I'm going to have to get a real good GMAT score to put myself in the best position to get in.

I have the head of my major writing me a letter of recommendation as well as letters from each person I have worked for.