For those worrying about the possibility we will draft Ryan

j105

Our GM is from the Patriots, who have a certain man under center who was taken way late in the draft, and obviously has done well.

This is why we will not take Ryan. TD has already seen that late round qbs can be just as affective, besides Smith said he wants to fortify the line.

We will take Long or Ellis/Dorsey, bank on it.

j105 (2/23/2008)
Our GM is from the Patriots, who have a certain man under center who was taken way late in the draft, and obviously has done well.

This is why we will not take Ryan. TD has already seen that late round qbs can be just as affective, besides Smith said he wants to fortify the line.

agreed, or trade down

He probably did observe what the Pats did drafting Brady, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think he was there when they drafted Brady, so you can't really give him the credit for it if that's what you're trying to say. If not, carry on...

Either way, just say no to andy QB in the early rounds. I'm right there with ya on that.

falconfoozball (2/23/2008)
He probably did observe what the Pats did drafting Brady, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think he was there when they drafted Brady, so you can't really give him the credit for it if that's what you're trying to say. If not, carry on...

Either way, just say no to andy QB in the early rounds. I'm right there with ya on that.

I'm not giving him credit for drafting Brady, im just pointing out the fact that he knows you can draft someone like Brady(lower round qbs) and be successful.

And just because he's seen a late round QB do well doesn't mean they will....I have'nt done the research but I'm pretty sure more late round QB's have failed than have won.....They can be found late but they can be found in the first round too.....with a much higher success rate

rock (2/23/2008)
And just because he's seen a late round QB do well doesn't mean they will....I have'nt done the research but I'm pretty sure more late round QB's have failed than have won.....They can be found late but they can be found in the first round too.....with a much higher success rate

Dude, im just making a point i believe to be valid. Do you really want us to take Ryan that bad? He hasn't the arm or speed or anything to warrant this.

j105 (2/23/2008)
rock (2/23/2008)

Dude, im just making a point i believe to be valid. Do you really want us to take Ryan that bad? He hasn't the arm or speed or anything to warrant this.

I have seen him on the run make a accurate throw across his body 60 yards for a td.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (2/23/2008)
j105 (2/23/2008)

He's a QB he doesn't need to have great speed. He is mobile enough.

Really? Because if we draft him instead of Long or some baller o-line peeps he will need god like speed since he will be running for his life.

j105 (2/23/2008)

Just thought I would mention "He wasn't the GM for the Patriots at the time either".

Yeah, Tom Brady was taken late in the draft, I think in the 6th round but I'm not sure, but that doesn't mean that the Falcons will wait as long to draft a QB.

I think Mike Smith is gonna have something to say on how this draft goes down more so than our GM, I don't care what anybody says Mike Smith has to have the players he want's to coach to make the team work the way he want's it to work.

Remember this : "Our GM is NO LONGER A SCOUT for an NFL team", he's a GM.

One last thing "The Patriots didn't WIN the superbowl, incase you haven't heard this past season", which had nothing to do with our new GM whatsoever.

If you think you can look from a former scouts work for another team and say that this is how the Falcons are gonna be then you must be crazy as ****.

This is the first time our new former scout GM has had the power to do what he wants to do with a team.

The direction Mike Smith's offense and defense will dictate how this draft goes. To think it's gonna go any other way is simpley ludicruos.

j105 (2/23/2008)
j105 (2/23/2008)

He's a QB he doesn't need to have great speed. He is mobile enough.

Really? Because if we draft him instead of Long or some baller o-line peeps he will need god like speed since he will be running for his life.

Look I am not saying we should draft him. I am saying I think he will be a good QB. Any qb behind a bad O-Line will not look good. **** we had the fastest QB in football history and he couldn't do much behind this O-line. But dont get it twisted Im a VT fan and I saw first hand him escaping our D-line and making plays on the run and accurate when he did it.

freeze1st (2/23/2008)
I don't know why people think just because he came from The Pats that he will do exactly like the Pats did.

Amen! I agree!

I'm sick of these post saying that the Falcons are gonna become like a mirror image of the Patriots.

Agreed TD has his on plan it doesn't mean it is what thePats would do. I just wish everybody would get off that and see what ends up happening. If people expect us to be a mirror of the Pats then they may be in for some disappointment.

FWIW Smith also said yesterday that the NFL is a "quarter back driven league", so I don't think we can assume that he will use the first pick on an OL/DL.

The last time I checked we have 4 picks on day 1 of this drafts (possibly 6 if we get a 3rd round compensatory pick for PK and trade Deangelo Hall). We have enough high value picks to imporve in several areas.

As I see if we have MAJOR holes at QB, RB, OL and DL. Getting a top prospect in any one of those postions will make us a better football team...