Watching Jake Long at the combine..

Anyone else watching him on NFL network? He has such a presence about him, in the down block drill he went out and hit both guys hard and I couldn't help but dream about him being in red and block and mauling the ##### outta people for us :) I'd give anything for him to be there at 3 and for us to take him.

He looks he can be a solid LT, or a great RT...sorry, I'd pass. He's a better version of Jordan Gross...a lock good player, but there will be better players at bigger needs.....I think I'd take Ryan over Jake Long, personally.....and certainly after Ellis and Dorsey.... If we were at 5, I'd probably say yeah, provided we were going to play him on the right side, though.

Mr. Offseason (2/23/2008)
ryan clady is my LT prospect of this draft. mayock has him #3 overall in OT's, but i have him #1 in LT prospects. long and otah are #1 and #2 RT prospects. even mayock says he has problems with speed rushers.

I agree, Ryan Clady IMO is the best LT in the draft.

I remember when Alex Barron was being called a 'pure LT' and Jamaal Brown was a 'RT'. Since then Jamaal Brown has gone to the Pro Bowl as a LT and Barron has been considered a dissapointment. Nobody is calling Jake Long an RT. He's being called a tackle who may be better playing on the right side than left. I know it's a complicated thought process for some of you , but many OT's can actually play both sides.

halsey (2/23/2008)
I remember when Alex Barron was being called a 'pure LT' and Jamaal Brown was a 'RT'. Since then Jamaal Brown has gone to the Pro Bowl as a LT and Barron has been considered a dissapointment. Nobody is calling Jake Long an RT. He's being called a tackle who may be better playing on the right side than left. I know it's a complicated thought process for some of you , but many OT's can actually play both sides.

alex barron moved to RT in the nfl because they already had orlando pace firmly established at the LT position. then, when pace went down, he moved right back over and played well in his absence.

jamaal brown moved to LT after they traded gandy to us and played well, but it was out of necessity as well as his ability to do it because they had no one else to play.

sure, jake long could play LT. but he would get eaten alive by guys like freeney and other special speed rushers.

but go ahead, ignore everyone discussing his problems with speed rushers and just pretend he is the best thing since sliced bread. but instead of just saying "oh, hes the best OT in the draft, therefore he will be a stud in the NFL" why dont you tell me why his problems with speed rushers wont negatively effect his ability to play LT well in the NFL? I've been waiting for weeks now, and you still havent told me. so here is your chance.

I think Long could be a great run-blocking LT in the NFL, but from what I have seen/heard, he might have problem with speed-rush in pass protection. Ryan Clady might not be as good in the run-blocking department, but could hold his own better than Long against the pass-rush.

I see Clady as being incredibly solid, yet Long as a run-blocking beast.

I wish I'd had a chance to see clady go through the same drills the rest of the OLineman did today, but he hurt himself benching which is never a good thing. He lacks ideal strength and isn't the best run blocker, which is alright I guess if you are quick enough to deal with the speed rushers. But with the scheme we plan on running, setting the line of scrimmage first, and controlling the game from there, I think Jake long is the best pick for us, he can play either side and he is an all out beast.

Jeff Otah I don't like at all he looks fat and slow.

Goodoleboy58 (2/23/2008)
it doesn't matter if he has problems with speed rushers he will instantly be the best lineman on our team... which is what it all boils down to anyway... so what he is going to have trouble with Freeney... he's still an upgrade

Yeah, but this isn't just about "upgrading" the position. With the 3rd pick in the draft, we **** sure better get somebody that's going to be a STAR.

Goodoleboy58 (2/23/2008)
it doesn't matter if he has problems with speed rushers he will instantly be the best lineman on our team... which is what it all boils down to anyway... so what he is going to have trouble with Freeney... he's still an upgrade

it doesnt matter if he is an upgrade. clady would be an upgrade too, so that argument doesnt make any sense.

the fact of the matter is this, we can still have a very good running game even if we have clady at LT. the difference between having clady at LT and long at LT would be that clady would be the better pass blocker against speed rushing defensive ends, which is almost all you see at RE now-a-days. if we had long at LT, we would have a better run blocker on that side.

however, traditionally, you want your best mauler and run blocker at RT, and your best pass blocker at LT. if we upgraded the C and RG positions in addition to just LT and RT, we would see a dramatic improvement in the running game, regardless of who we have at LT instead of clady or long.

it is just my opinion, but i like clady much more as a LT than long. long would be an ideal RT for me, but i am not about to spend a top 5 selection on a RT. clady is a pure LT and while he isnt the mauler long is, he is still a good run blocker but he is a great pass blocker. as he improves his strength and hand placement he will become an elite LT imo.

if jake long could prove to me that he can be the same franchise LT that i think clady can be, then i would pick him. but i just dont see it right now. i came around on henne though, so maybe i can on long. but right now i just cant do it.

its hard to call. ive been reading up on him a ton, and it is hard to turn down a guy like long. hes an amazing run blocker and he is also a very good pass blocker. if he was better against speed rushers i wouldnt have a single reservation in selecting him. im gonna have to keep watching him a lot, because id love to draft him and fill in that need there, but if i cant be sure that he will fit at LT i am very pro-trade down.

The fact that he can play both sides and hes already a great run blocker is what I love about him. He can always get better in his technique against speed rushers. I'll take a 2 time captain at Michigan who is a monster over a Boise state stand out IMO. What speed rushers did Boise state face that Clady shut down? I'm not trying to bash him, I just wanna know where everyone else is getting this confidence in him.

i dont know much about the des on hawaii, but clady put on a clinic against them when they played during the regular season. both in pass protection and in the running game.

but the more i think about it the more i think long might be getting over-analyzed. i mean, i think he compares to flozell adams or jonathan ogden. both have trouble against speed rushers at times (like ogden has trouble against freeney) but other than that they are very good pass blockers and are very good in the running game. they have one of the toughest jobs every week in shutting down the top pass rusher, and i think long might be more seasoned in getting ready for that than clady, plus he was a captain twice.

obviously you have to love his run blocking...

gah this is so annoying. i think long would make sense at #3 though, just because i think he could be a top flight LT, but i think at worst he is an absolute beast RT. i dont want a RT that high, but its good to have that high of a ceiling without having a risk of being a huge bust. that kind of low risk high reward stuff is important in making a decision on a draft pick this early.

however, id always prefer to move down and look at clady and brohm around the #10 selection. cincy and denver would both love to add ellis or dorsey, and we could always try and work a deal to get a player to fill a need in a trade also. what if we worked a deal with cincy that gave us their OG/OT simmons? there are options outside of just selecting a guy at #3.

****, there are so many options now it is hard to just concentrate on one...