Jake Long considered a Right Tackle

JTFalcon89

He's played LT at Michigan for a couple of years, and he had one of the most successful careers as an OL has ever had. If you just looked at how big he was in pads, you'd assume he would be slow, but that is not the case. He's as athletic and has as good of measurables as any OT in the last 5-10 years, and the production to go along with that doesn't hurt. ;)

JTFalcon89 (2/23/2008)
Jake long is considered a pro bowl RT hes not really a LT so I say we pass on him LT is more of a need.

Please... he is not considered a RT.. people need to really shut up about this assumption.. if he is considered a RT.. the other so called LT's in the draft shouldn't even be drafted... he is the BEST LT in the draft.... Biggest... Strongest... in every aspect... he will be the anchor of our O-line for many years to come...

Just throw a couple stats out there

- 2 sacks given up in 4 years

- 2 penalties in 4 years

Most of the time, a rookie would be placed as a RT anyways. If he is a Pro-Bowl RT as a rookie, then he would definately be moved to LT the following year. Its a big difference between drafting a guy who can play RT immediately and making the PB and later being a LT than to have your 1st pick riding the pine for two years and still unsure if he's going to bust or not. ie: QB.

what happens is one guy who has a mock draft website says Jake Long is a RT in NFL - then another reads the first guy's website, repeats it like a parrot, and this process repeats itself 20 times over and then all of a sudden....

....its conventional wisdom that Jake Long is a right tackle......

No thanks - I will look at stats/games to come to a conclusion.....hmmmm....says here that Jake Long gave up 2 sacks in 4 years and had like four penalties in the 4 years.....hmmmm...that's pretty good, isn't it?;)

grendel (2/23/2008)
g-dawg (2/23/2008)
what happens is one guy who has a mock draft website says Jake Long is a RT in NFL - then another reads the first guy's website, repeats it like a parrot, and this process repeats itself 20 times over and then all of a sudden....

No thanks - I will look at stats/games to come to a conclusion.....hmmmm....says here that Jake Long gave up 2 sacks in 4 years and had like four penalties in the 4 years.....hmmmm...that's pretty good, isn't it?;)

Or maybe some of us saw him play against Wisconsin and Michigan State and saw Kirk DeCremer and Jonal Saint-**** give him fits with speed rushes. These are not big-name guys like Gholston (who also gave Long fits). Every time Long faced a speed rusher he had problems with him, but he played in the Big 10, so he didn't see that many. Against Florida on obvious passing downs they had it gameplanned so Long slid inside to help the OG and a TE or RB was left one-on-one against the outside pass rusher. It was obvious to me that they were protecting him from being left on an island against a speed rush.

He'll be a great RT, and he'll be better at LT than anyone we have now, but he'll always need help against speed rushers, and I don't want to spend a top-5 pick on a guy who needs help to do his job.

If he's there, we'll be sorry to pass him up.

The reason why most people see him as a RT is because he struggled against elite college pass rushers (V.Gholston).It is really a toss up if he is able to take on the pass rushers at LT.I think that allowing him to play RT for a year then making the transition to LT would be most beneficial.It will allow him to get used to the speed of the pro game as opposed to college.

Petrino is NOT my hero (2/23/2008)
brvslugger10 (2/23/2008)
Just wait a few mins. Some Jake Long fanatics will give you stats.

i know what you mean man.. why would ANYONE want the BEST LT in the draft... we must be insane

I agree. I don't get why people doubt Jake Long so much. He may not be as good as Joe Thomas, but if he's anything close WE MUST HAVE HIM.

dyoshot (2/23/2008)
brvslugger10 (2/23/2008)
Just wait a few mins. Some Jake Long fanatics will give you stats.

i know what you mean man.. why would ANYONE want the BEST LT in the draft... we must be insane

I agree. I don't get why people doubt Jake Long so much. He may not be as good as Joe Thomas, but if he's anything close WE MUST HAVE HIM.

He may be better than Joe Thomas. You never really know with that position. Look at Brown from last year's draft.

Jake Long

T, Michigan

War Room analysis

Run blocking: Can be a dominant in-line run blocker. Fires off the snap aggressively on side blocks to drive defensive linemen out of the play. Can jolt head-up defensive ends on runs to his side. Reaches the second level adequately when uncovered. Makes mini-pulls nicely, but lacks the speed to lead perimeter runs. Grade: 8.0

Pass blocking: Does a good job when using hands aggressively, jolting defensive ends upright. Works well with teammates to neutralize line stunts and delayed blitzes. Too often keeps arms by his side and hands low, allowing aggressive pass rushers to get into his chest and jolt him backward. Has a bad habit of stopping his feet upon contact and get beaten by secondary pass-rush moves. Grade: 7.0

Initial quickness: Anticipates the snap well, but lacks the quickness to make it to the corner to cut off speed rushers. Struggles to get around play-side defensive linemen to make reach blocks. Moves quickly off the snap on in-line run blocks, delivering a hard initial blow. Grade: 7.5

Strength: Is naturally strong. When getting hands on defensive ends first, holds his ground against any bull rusher; too often, though, is beaten by aggressive power rushers who drive him into the quarterback. Shows good strength on straight-ahead run blocks. Shows the size, strength and aggressiveness to collapse an entire side of the defensive line. Grade: 8.5

Mobility: Lacks ideal athleticism but often compensates with smarts, instincts and competitiveness. Lacks elite mobility to adjust and block well in the open field. Struggles to reach the second level when first having to deal with defensive linemen. Lacks speed, but is effective on pulls so long as the defender stays on his track. Grade: 6.0

Bottom line: Long is one of the most hyped prospects in years, and he almost entered the '07 draft before wisely going back to Michigan. He lacks the athleticism to be a premier NFL left tackle but could become a solid left tackle or an elite right tackle. He certainly will be drafted in the first round because NFL coaches fall in love with tough, smart linemen who were productive at big-time schools.

Farmer (2/23/2008)
Last year people were saying the same thing about Joe Thomas, that he wouldn't be a dominate LT or will struggle against the run. He turned out to be pretty **** good.

If Jake Long is there at three, I'll be disappointed if we don't take him.

Exactly, remember all the "omg Thomas has short arms blah blah.." He turned out alright ;p

grendel (2/23/2008)
g-dawg (2/23/2008)

Or maybe some of us saw him play against Wisconsin and Michigan State and saw Kirk DeCremer and Jonal Saint-**** give him fits with speed rushes. These are not big-name guys like Gholston (who also gave Long fits). Every time Long faced a speed rusher he had problems with him, but he played in the Big 10, so he didn't see that many. Against Florida on obvious passing downs they had it gameplanned so Long slid inside to help the OG and a TE or RB was left one-on-one against the outside pass rusher. It was obvious to me that they were protecting him from being left on an island against a speed rush.

He'll be a great RT, and he'll be better at LT than anyone we have now, but he'll always need help against speed rushers, and I don't want to spend a top-5 pick on a guy who needs help to do his job.

did you watch the michigan state game... except for like one or two qb rushes... he ate Saint-Dic for lunch

grendel (2/23/2008)
g-dawg (2/23/2008)

did you watch the michigan state game... except for like one or two qb rushes... he ate Saint-Dic for lunch

I don't know what game you were watching, but he definitely did not. Henne was hit on quite a few occaisions by Saint-Dic, and the same happened to him with DeCremer. Gholston just further proved that point when Long was having a TE slid into protection with him for most of the game.

Winners Win (2/23/2008)
Farmer (2/23/2008)
Last year people were saying the same thing about Joe Thomas, that he wouldn't be a dominate LT or will struggle against the run. He turned out to be pretty **** good.

If Jake Long is there at three, I'll be disappointed if we don't take him.

Exactly, remember all the "omg Thomas has short arms blah blah.." He turned out alright ;p

No one doubted Thomas' abilities, because he was one of the most technically sound OL to come out in YEARS. People just thought he didn't have enough intensity to play at the next level, which was immediately proven otherwise.

g-dawg (2/23/2008)

My belief is that Jake Long will be a Good LT but will be a Dominate RT. So putting him at RT just makes more sense. LT=Very Good / RT= Pro Bowler You do the math. anyway I hope we draft Ellis or Dorsey. But I would be ok if Long was drafted. but of couse that would mean we would still need a LT.