Unintended casualties may arise from Dimitroff's 'obsession' of collecting draft picks

somecut8

Seeing how Dimitroff has an obsession with the quantity rather than quality of draft picks, we may soon see further ramifications arise from this "draft pick addiction." With Boley only protected by a first round pick, opportunistic teams such as a Giants may quickly take on Dimitroff's offer by offering Boley a generous offer. Giants need help at the linebacking position, and giving up the 31st pick overall for a marquee and arguably a top 10 linebacker is a steal for any resourceful team. Boley is better than any of the linebackers coming out of the draft his year and has only just entered his prime.

Dimitroff would be more than happy if this were to occur, as having the 3rd pick overall, the X pick overall (from Hall), and now the 31st pick overall would make his first year tenure as the Falcons GM the most proliferous one in the history of the organization. His scouting ability will almost certainly be proved successful, as the chances of having all 3 out of the available 31 first round picks be "busts" is nearly impossible.

somecut8 (2/22/2008)
Seeing how Dimitroff has an obsession with the quantity rather than quality of draft picks, we may soon see further ramifications arise from this "draft pick addiction." With Boley only protected by a first round pick, opportunistic teams such as a Giants may quickly take on Dimitroff's offer by offering Boley a generous offer. Giants need help at the linebacking position, and giving up the 31st pick overall for a marquee and arguably a top 10 linebacker is a steal for any resourceful team. Boley is better than any of the linebackers coming out of the draft his year and has only just entered his prime.

Dimitroff would be more than happy if this were to occur, as having the 3rd pick overall, the X pick overall (from Hall), and now the 31st pick overall would make his first year tenure as the Falcons GM the most proliferous one in the history of the organization. His scouting ability will almost certainly be proved successful, as the chances of having all 3 out of the available 31 first round picks be "busts" is nearly impossible.

Dude.

WTF?

I've read some quality posts from you, but this sounds like a classic ATL-75 hack job. :blink:

No but seriously though. If all we have protecting Boley is a 1st round pick, then what is there to prevent a team like the Giants, who really need a LB from taking Boley from us. I mean the 31st pick isn't all that great, and Boley is worth more than that, so wouldn't it be a steal for the Giants?

somecut8 (2/22/2008)

Did Vick75/ATL-75 steal your password & make this post for you??????

I'd be very surprised if someone gives up a 1st for Boley. It's a gamble sure, but so is tendering him to a 1st & 3rd. We can still finish up the deal we've been reworking for him anyway at any point, maybe it's close to a done deal.

But if we did get 3 draft picks in the 1st, don't think I'd worry that much about it. Given New England's track record of drafting better than most teams, even though they are drafting normally in the bottom 3rd of the draft, makes me feel good knowing we've got their head scout making the calls in the draft room. New England has consistently outdrafted teams that constantly pick in the top half of the draft, so the more picks the better IMO.

This is exactly the type of ##### that worries me, not so much losing Boley like that, because it didn't occur to me, but losing Boley and losing Hall. If we trade Hall, while Boley still hasn't signed a new deal, who's to say if Boley will want to sign a new deal, after someone I assume is probably a friend of his, and a great great player, like Boley gets dealt like that. Boley may use the thought process of, "if they'd do that to Hall, why wouldn't they do that to me? Maybe I should consider other options."

Robb4242 (2/22/2008)[hrDid Vick75/ATL-75 steal your password & make this post for you??????

I'd be very surprised if someone gives up a 1st for Boley. It's a gamble sure, but so is tendering him to a 1st & 3rd. We can still finish up the deal we've been reworking for him anyway at any point, maybe it's close to a done deal.

But if we did get 3 draft picks in the 1st, don't think I'd worry that much about it. Given New England's track record of drafting better than most teams, even though they are drafting normally in the bottom 3rd of the draft, makes me feel good knowing we've got their head scout making the calls in the draft room. New England has consistently outdrafted teams that constantly pick in the top half of the draft, so the more picks the better IMO.

LOL, that's what I said too. But I don't agree w/the more picks the better thing. Especially when it comes to Boley. You can't let that guy go that easy.

Gerber09 (2/22/2008)
IMO the TD is being a ##### ##### you dont go and even think about getting rid of 2 of your top 3 players. If we trade Hall and do not sign or draft a cb in the first 2 rounds heres to the worst D against the pass in 08 JMO.
Hes getting value rather than letting him go in 1 or 2 years and only getting a comp pick.Im sure we will address corner and luckily we picked up 2 last year so maybe they pay off.

ugadawg (2/22/2008)
Boley is a RFA no one can just steal him by giving us a 1st rd pick we have 7 days to match any offer they make him to keep him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

Only thing they have to do is say Boley is guaranteed to be the highest paid LB on the team, or the highest paid defensive player for 2 seasons, and put that in his contract. At that point we can't match the offer, can't afford to.

That's the real thing to be worried about.

And falconfoozball, I agree with you, I don't want to lose Boley at all. I think we'll have a deal worked out with him before long and we won't have to worry about this.

somecut8 (2/22/2008)
ATLBrave12 (2/22/2008)
Yeah, you are forgetting the fact that we can match the same offer. We have first right of refusal when it comes to our own RFAs.

Just because we "can" do it doesn't mean "will" do it.

If we're serious about keeping our best LB, then I'm sure we will do it. The Giants aren't an organization built on overspending for FAs so I doubt, if they did offer him a contract, that it would be so astronomical that we wouldn't match it. If we don't match the offer, then isn't "stealing".

Robb4242 (2/22/2008)
ugadawg (2/22/2008)
Boley is a RFA no one can just steal him by giving us a 1st rd pick we have 7 days to match any offer they make him to keep him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

Only thing they have to do is say Boley is guaranteed to be the highest paid LB on the team, or the highest paid defensive player for 2 seasons, and put that in his contract. At that point we can't match the offer, can't afford to.

That's the real thing to be worried about.

And falconfoozball, I agree with you, I don't want to lose Boley at all. I think we'll have a deal worked out with him before long and we won't have to worry about this.

Thats the poison pill.They will not do it.You can target their players and do the same.People are just comeing up with stuff now.