Now that Blu-Ray won the war...

kicker23

kicker23 (2/22/2008)
Remarkable (2/22/2008)
You might as well buy a PS3.
Nope. I refuse to give Sony the bizness. even though they have the technology, I'm not willing to give them my gaming business. I'm an Xbox guy.

That's pretty ********, but I can't really say anything, I used to be the same way. You'll grow out of it whenyou go through 3 XBoxes in 10 months like I have.

kicker23 (2/22/2008)
Remarkable (2/22/2008)
You might as well buy a PS3.
Nope. I refuse to give Sony the bizness. even though they have the technology, I'm not willing to give them my gaming business. I'm an Xbox guy.

I'm an Xbox guy too, but if I had any interest in a Blu-Ray player I'd buy a PS3 in a second. Get the most bang for your buck.

kicker23 (2/22/2008)
Ethanga62890 (2/22/2008)
Bluray is sony.
I'm aware of that. They developed the technology. The dvd makers pay licensing fees to Sony. I'd rather dish out that licensing fee, than shell out money for a game console I think is inferior.
I've disabled sigs. Explain what you mean by "future proof."

robpanama (2/22/2008)
Yep my buddy been after me to get the xbox even while his was at the shop.:w00t:

Ps3 looks like the way to go.

It is IMO. So you lose out on Gears and Halo, neither of which is anything too special, plus you get a Blu-ray player at almost 2x less than you would pay for JUST a BR player.

Headshot (2/23/2008)
robpanama (2/22/2008)
Yep my buddy been after me to get the xbox even while his was at the shop.:w00t:

Ps3 looks like the way to go.

It is IMO. So you lose out on Gears and Halo, neither of which is anything too special, plus you get a Blu-ray player at almost 2x less than you would pay for JUST a BR player.

Can you please explain the above.. how can you get it for 2x less than just a BR player. I can pick up a BR player as low as $250. Just wondering what you are comparing it to.

Headshot (2/23/2008)
I'm referring to the top end br players, the ones close to 700.

okay.. I wanted to wait til we saw a true winner and after all the negative xbox comments i have heard I will be going the PS3 route now. I love halo, but if I could get my gaming console and a blue ray player at the same time that's awesome. I have to read up on the technology though because I am going to be putting my uga football games on it in the future.

SacFalcFan (2/23/2008)
Headshot (2/23/2008)
I'm referring to the top end br players, the ones close to 700.

okay.. I wanted to wait til we saw a true winner and after all the negative xbox comments i have heard I will be going the PS3 route now. I love halo, but if I could get my gaming console and a blue ray player at the same time that's awesome. I have to read up on the technology though because I am going to be putting my uga football games on it in the future.

You have an X360, so you'll be getting the exclusives on both consoles.

Here are the hardware requirements to meet BD profile 2.0:

- 2 GB of storage

- Ethernet port

I have yet to come across a standalone BD player that has that. The PS3 has at least 40 GB of storage, an ethernet port, and built-in wireless. So it goes way beyond the minimum.

The other requirements are software, and Sony releases firmeware updates often. So they will release an update that implements the profile in the near future.

Current standalone BD players (for any price near the PS3) are not built for the future as they won't be able to support future blu-ray profiles. They'll always be stuck at BD 1.1.

Headshot (2/22/2008)

That's pretty ********, but I can't really say anything, I used to be the same way. You'll grow out of it whenyou go through 3 XBoxes in 10 months like I have.

I've had the same xbox360 for 2 years now and never had any problem. Just because it happened to you doesn't mean it will to everyone.

I was thinking of getting a ps3 but spend about the same amount on a xbox360 and wii instead. Very glad I did.

raven reborn (2/23/2008)
Headshot (2/22/2008)

I've had the same xbox360 for 2 years now and never had any problem. Just because it happened to you doesn't mean it will to everyone.

I was thinking of getting a ps3 but spend about the same amount on a xbox360 and wii instead. Very glad I did.

ringofdeath.JPG

I can see your future.

Mathis81WR (2/23/2008)
Do the 20GB PS3s have all of the same functionality of the newer 80GB models? If you can just upgrade the hard drive yourself without voiding the warranty then why spend the extra cash on the other versions? I may pick up a 20GB one off of eBay since they aren't in stores anymore.

The 20-GB is the same as the 60-GB with only two differences. It does not have built-in wi-fi. I can't live without the wi-fi personally. It also doesn't have the multi-card reader for your SD, CF, and Memory Stick cards.

The 80-GB model is discontinued to make way for a new model coming out in the near future. You can still find it, but it's getting harder.

I don't recommend getting the 20-GB model. Get the 40-GB if you don't care about PS2 games playback. It's the cheapest one new, it comes with a free blu-ray movie, you get built-in wi-fi, and you get a 65-nm CPU. It runs even quieter than the older PS3's. Which were quiet anyway. The 40-GB model also doesn't have the card reader, and it has two fewer USB ports.

Yes. You can use any 2.5" SATA HDD (5400 RPM) in the PS3 without voiding the warranty. I have two PS3's (one I own and for me, one I bought for others but I get to use it), and in one of them I have a 160 GB HDD installed.

Bottomline: If you can find an 80-GB unit, get it. If you can't, I recommend the 40-GB model over the 20-GB one (that is, if you don't care about PS2 games playback).

Mathis81WR (2/23/2008)
Do the 20GB PS3s have all of the same functionality of the newer 80GB models? If you can just upgrade the hard drive yourself without voiding the warranty then why spend the extra cash on the other versions? I may pick up a 20GB one off of eBay since they aren't in stores anymore.

the 20 gb is the best value and always has been, if you dont' need wifi, due to the price and the full p2s compatability.

I guess I'll just go ahead and pick up the 40GB since I've been sitting on a $100 Target gift card since Christmas. I just looked at their ad and you get a $40 gift card when you buy a PS3. Any recommendations on a PS3 exclusive game to pick up with the gift card? I'm thinking maybe Folklore, Uncharted, or Resistance.

Mathis81WR (2/23/2008)
I guess I'll just go ahead and pick up the 40GB since I've been sitting on a $100 Target gift card since Christmas. I just looked at their ad and you get a $40 gift card when you buy a PS3. Any recommendations on a PS3 exclusive game to pick up with the gift card? I'm thinking maybe Folklore, Uncharted, or Resistance.

Last two are a must, even if just try them out. I'm not an RPG fan so don't my hatred towards Folklore as anything. All three games have demos on the PS Store that you can try out before you buy them

Other recommendations:

- Ratchet and Clank Future

- WarHawk

- UTIII (Console exclusive until May)

- Burnout Paradise (Not exclusive)

- MLB '08: The Show (Comes out in less than two weeks)

- DiRT (Not exclusive)

Save up for this year's exclusive releases in MGS4, GT5, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, WipEout HD, SOCOM: Confrontation, or Little Big Planet.

PS Store games:

- Super Stardust HD

- GripShift

- GT: HD (Free)