Dhall draft option

Big Duke 6

Brandon Flowers

CB, Virginia Tech

War Room analysis

Coverage skills: Despite lack of elite athleticism, is solid in this area and consistently breaks up passes. Shows a technically sound and compact backpedal, transitioning and closing quickly on passes in front of him or flipping hips to turn and run with receivers without losing a step. Changes direction with ease; snaps around in the other direction in a flash to stay with receivers out of cuts. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Shows excellent instincts and awareness, playing faster than 40 time would indicate. Does not get fooled by misdirection plays or receivers' double moves. Reads the quarterback well in zone or "off" coverage, transitioning out of backpedal quickly to close in a blink. Is adept at reading receivers' routes, flipping hips at the correct time as they close the cushion to avoid losing a step. Reads screen passes quickly, flies upfield and makes good tackles on running backs in the open field. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Lacks premier speed, but uses quick footwork, instincts and ability to transition quickly to close on passes faster than expected. Will struggle to stay with NFL's fastest receivers downfield. Grade: 7.0

Ball skills: When close to the play, shows the body control, coordination and hands to reach in front of receivers to break up passes without committing penalties. Shows the hands to make tough interceptions. Grade: 8.0

Run support: Comes up quickly, keeping knees bent and maintaining leverage and control to make physical tackles. Is a fundamentally sound tackler in the open field. Flashes an aggressive closing burst on quick-hit wide receiver screen passes, and will blow up receivers behind the line of scrimmage. Grade: 8.0

Bottom line: Flowers, a junior, definitely made the correct decision in entering the '08 draft because are few elite cornerbacks in the Class of 2008. Flowers will not test as well as other prospects in pre-draft workouts, but cornerbacks with his smarts, instincts and competitive edge usually are more productive in the NFL. He will become a good NFL starter in any type of defense, improving over time because he will prepare hard for every receiver he faces.

Flowers' college football career is over, according to his father Willie. An All-American cornerback in his sophomore and junior seasons, Flowers will forego his senior year and declare for the 2008 NFL Draft.

"Yep, he's declaring," Willie Flowers said by phone Jan. 6. "He's ready."

Flowers' father was interrupted during the call and could not provide further details. His son was third on the team in tackles this season with 86 and led the Hokies with five interceptions.

In the past two seasons, Flowers has amassed 137 tackles, 15.5 for loss, eight interceptions and 27 passes broken up. He submitted his paperwork to the NFL advisory committee in December and learned the day after Christmas that he was projected as a second-round pick if he left school early.

"If there's a kid that I feel like, 'You're ready to go,' I'd tell him," Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said during last week's Orange Bowl preparations. "That's the way I am with Brandon Flowers."

-- Virginian-Pilot

The sportingnews has him going early 2nd round so he could be there for us at 31.

scott24falcs (2/22/2008)
I'd rather sign a decent FA CB and draft a Cover 2 CB like Chevis Jackson. But Mike Mayock says Brandon Flowers is the most physical CB he's seen in 5 years.

Yeah I watched that video Mayock put together of him - did you see him stack and hold up that tightend? That's from a freaking cornerback?

gitwitme (2/22/2008)
scott24falcs (2/22/2008)
I'd rather sign a decent FA CB and draft a Cover 2 CB like Chevis Jackson. But Mike Mayock says Brandon Flowers is the most physical CB he's seen in 5 years.

Yeah I watched that video Mayock put together of him - did you see him stack and hold up that tightend? That's from a freaking cornerback?

I saw that too. Impressive!