Say No to Flacco

why do people want Flacco so bad?

He couldnt beat out Palko at Pitt. Who isnt joe montana? And who i dont think was drafted. He didnt even tear up Div II in his first year there. I know he has a strong arm but so does Kyle Boller. I live in philly which is not far from Delaware. I know graduates who go to games and they dont even think he is THAT good. He is a project at best with a ceiling to be as good as Derek Andersen who was cut from QB needy Baltimore first. Flacco is good for a team with a solid aging QB to maybe be the starter in a few years. That is not us. If we dont get one of the big 3 (Ryan, Brohm or Henne), then we need to just wait to a later round and get our project then get on the phone with some NFL teams and see who we can trade for.

grendel (2/21/2008)
Just say no to Tom Brady. He couldn't beat out Drew Henson.

Drew Henson was a very good college QB. Palko was not so highly regarded. And Tom Brady didnt have to go to a Div II team to get playing time. Like i said when the students at your school and the sports writers who covered your game for 2 years say that you are not ready to start for an NFL team. I throw up a flag. If he cant read a Big East defense, what makes you think he can read the Texans defense and they arent that great.

We dont need a QB who will take 3 years to be mediocre with a BIG ARM. I can care less what his triangle numbers are or how he can throw a ball through a brick wall. Show me where on saturday afternoon, he molested a top 25 defense FCS team. Heck even the dude yall bash for having an erratic arm has done that. Why judge Flacco with a different stick? If what he has done in his career and great to you and he has such a big window than guys like Kevin O'Donnell and Paul Smith must be top 10 picks to yall.

Here's why Flacco is being so highly considered...

Coming from a team where he took snaps out of the shotgun every time, it's going to be very different for him to line up under center and drop back. There are different checks to make and reads to take. Reportedly he took the advice of the NFL coaches at the Senior Bowl and adjusted very quickly and easily to what they were teaching him. I believe after a year on an NFL team, he can learn how to do what it takes to be a great quarterback some day. He obviously has the physical tools and the ability to learn and grow, so personally I'd love for us to take him.

vicktimized~2136 (2/21/2008)
Here's why Flacco is being so highly considered...

Coming from a team where he took snaps out of the shotgun every time, it's going to be very different for him to line up under center and drop back. There are different checks to make and reads to take. Reportedly he took the advice of the NFL coaches at the Senior Bowl and adjusted very quickly and easily to what they were teaching him. I believe after a year on an NFL team, he can learn how to do what it takes to be a great quarterback some day. He obviously has the physical tools and the ability to learn and grow, so personally I'd love for us to take him.

That is what i mean he might be good someday. We dont have that luxury and based on his experience it is a even bigger task. Look at the draft other years, guys slip and fall. but if you look at the guys who are successful, they were consistently good their whole careers. Like i said tom brady didnt start but he was behind very good college QBs. Drew Henson was drafted and i believe he actually started a few NFL games. Wasnt Brady there when Elvis was around? Flacco couldnt get from under Palko. Palko went undrafted and is a practice squad player now. Sorry i would rather take my chance on a guy who was successful on the stage with the big boys. Heck if you look and act the part, i want a guy who was the part.

Hey this is just my opinion for all i know Flacco could be the next Chris Miller.

None of how he got his start matters anymore, what matters was when he was given a shot he made the best of it, and he has all the physical tools that pro scouts look for. So after being very receptive to coaching at the Senior bowl everyone was able to watch him respond well and progress and it showed he had a lot of promise. Its that simple, he is still somewhat of a gamble and a project but those are the exact reason he might be able to be picked up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Winners Win (2/21/2008)
None of how he got his start matters anymore, what matters was when he was given a shot he made the best of it, and he has all the physical tools that pro scouts look for. So after being very receptive to coaching at the Senior bowl everyone was able to watch him respond well and progress and it showed he had a lot of promise. Its that simple, he is still somewhat of a gamble and a project but those are the exact reason he might be able to be picked up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

From what i saw of the Senior Game he didnt look that good. Josh Johnson looked better than him in the Shrine game if you ask me. I know it doesnt matter how you start the race, it is how you finish. But the odds of him being good are alot greater than people think. He is not worth a 2nd3rd rounder. he is a 56 rounder. That kind of project. Plus after the combine, Flacco will be borderline 1st round. He has the physicals. Buyer beware is all i got to say.

As a falcons fan, i want us to get the most bang for our buck. If we can not get a big 3 QB and still get our DT and OT then we need to get that RB and LB.

A team like Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore need a Qb who will be ready sometime in '08. Flacco wont be ready till '10 at the earliest in my opinion.

grendel (2/21/2008)
215FalconsFanatic (2/21/2008)
grendel (2/21/2008)

Tyler Palko's stats as a Senior

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2006 220 322 2871 68.3 8.92 80 25 9 22 163.25

Drew Henson stats

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2000 146 237 2146 61.6 9.05 75 18 4

Yeah, Henson was obviously a much better QB than Palko.

LOL... Stats dont tell the story. Actually the only reason Drew started that year because Tom was ineffective due to injuries. Before that Tom had taken the starting role. Again proving my point that tom brady was competing against a guy who eventually was drafted in the 3rd round and lead a team to Big Ten title. Palko was the best Qb in the Big East which is not necessarilly a football conference. No comparison.

I never saw Flacco play but i am friends with alumni who were at every game. Guys who i played football with (semi pro) and respect their knowledge. They arent impressed by him. He was good, not great, for a Div II QB. Like i said he has the triangle numbers and the physicals but that is only 10% of the equation.

Who i like? I feel Henne is the best value QB. He will go either in the early second to late second. I think he is a "safe" QB. Wont be a superstar but wont lose games for you. Surround him with playmakers and he will get them the ball and let them do their thing. At this point that will work for us. There are no superstar QBs in this draft anyway. I like Josh Johnson but he is just as much as a project as Flacco and i wouldnt touch him till 5th round. If not the big 3 QBs, no QB is worth more than a 5th rounder to me in this draft. I feel like we can solidify the rest of the team with those late day oneearly day 2 picks. But then we will have scramble for a QB and sign a Simms or Culpepper which i really dont want to have to do. I think though if we could use our picks to put pieces in every other need position and not put one in QB. I will be happy. I will take us having a solid D and running game with Mickey Mouse handing the ball off...LOL...See Trent Dilfer and Baltimore.

anybody that cannot recognize Joe Flacco's potential is blind. Flacco has it all: size, arm strength, toughness, smarts, good athletic ability.......

Other than playing at a "small school", what's not to like? And, that objection was overcome with good week at Senior Bowl and impressing NFL coaches and scouts.....

Heck, nobody in this draft is a sure thing and probably nobody ready to start the first year. Give Flacco a year of good QB coaching, and I think we might really have something......

why do people want Flacco so bad?

He couldnt beat out Palko at Pitt. Who isnt joe montana? And who i dont think was drafted. He didnt even tear up Div II in his first year there. I know he has a strong arm but so does Kyle Boller. I live in philly which is not far from Delaware. I know graduates who go to games and they dont even think he is THAT good. He is a project at best with a ceiling to be as good as Derek Andersen who was cut from QB needy Baltimore first. Flacco is good for a team with a solid aging QB to maybe be the starter in a few years. That is not us. If we dont get one of the big 3 (Ryan, Brohm or Henne), then we need to just wait to a later round and get our project then get on the phone with some NFL teams and see who we can trade for.

Everyone pushes Flacco because they don't want Brohm or Ryan.

Grendel,

I am with you. This is a weak QB draft. This a deep OL draft (which we need). Get the best value at need positions. We need a QB bad but not that bad to take a project.

Q Dawg,

you said the keyword. Potential. I think we dont have that luxury right now. The eagles did last year and they took Kolb. Kolb is > Flacco. We have Harrington and maybe Shockey which proves we dont have the luxury. If we had a starting caliber QB, i would be all for Flacco. But not with the team we have as of 2/21.

Hey i am just happy to have a good football argument without people resorting to childish remarks..:D

I've watched all of these guys this year and quite honestly none of them are this great blockbuster QB. Why spend that high of a pick on a weak QB class? I guess some people fall in love with stats and the cool music on their video highlights. Even though TD has said he is a QB kind of guy, I think he is smart enough to draft the best player available that will help the team. There are plenty of teams that are still looking for their QB, even though they already spent a high draft pick on one to be the future.

phattywankenobi (2/21/2008)
I've watched all of these guys this year and quite honestly none of them are this great blockbuster QB. Why spend that high of a pick on a weak QB class? I guess some people fall in love with stats and the cool music on their video highlights. Even though TD has said he is a QB kind of guy, I think he is smart enough to draft the best player available that will help the team. There are plenty of teams that are still looking for their QB, even though they already spent a high draft pick on one to be the future.

I agree with you. I like Ryan on potential only. Which is bad when you think he may go number 1. This draft has Alex Smith written all over it!

This is THE point 215. If all of the QB's are similar in ability, why spend that high on one. They are all mediocre, all of the olinemen are pretty good, almost all of the RB's are good. In this draft, take the best OL or DL, maybe RB and get a QB to put these stellar players around. It'll only make him better.

grendel (2/21/2008)

Drew Henson was a very good college QB. Palko was not so highly regarded. And Tom Brady didnt have to go to a Div II team to get playing time. Like i said when the students at your school and the sports writers who covered your game for 2 years say that you are not ready to start for an NFL team. I throw up a flag. If he cant read a Big East defense, what makes you think he can read the Texans defense and they arent that great.

We dont need a QB who will take 3 years to be mediocre with a BIG ARM. I can care less what his triangle numbers are or how he can throw a ball through a brick wall. Show me where on saturday afternoon, he molested a top 25 defense FCS team. Heck even the dude yall bash for having an erratic arm has done that. Why judge Flacco with a different stick? If what he has done in his career and great to you and he has such a big window than guys like Kevin O'Donnell and Paul Smith must be top 10 picks to yall.

But Tom Flacco was better !!! :laugh:

Grendel,

I am with you. This is a weak QB draft. This a deep OL draft (which we need). Get the best value at need positions. We need a QB bad but not that bad to take a project.

Q Dawg,

you said the keyword. Potential. I think we dont have that luxury right now. The eagles did last year and they took Kolb. Kolb is > Flacco. We have Harrington and maybe Shockey which proves we dont have the luxury. If we had a starting caliber QB, i would be all for Flacco. But not with the team we have as of 2/21.

Hey i am just happy to have a good football argument without people resorting to childish remarks..:D

Ryan has "potential"

Brohm has "potential"

Henne has "potential"

definition of potential per webster's dictionary

Main Entry: 1po·ten·tial

Pronunciation: pY-Èten(t)-shYl

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English potencial, from Late Latin potentialis, from potentia potentiality, from Latin, power, from potent-, potens

Date: 14th century

1: existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality

2: expressing possibility; specifically : of, relating to, or constituting a verb phrase expressing possibility, liberty, or power by the use of an auxiliary with the infinitive of the verb (as in it may rain )

synonyms see latent

po·ten·tial·ly -Èten(t)-sh(Y-)l adverb

as you can see, regardless of which QB you like, none of them have actually "done" anything in NFL yet - so by definition, all have "potential" (except Josh Johnson:D)

I agree with you. I like Ryan on potential only. Which is bad when you think he may go number 1. This draft has Alex Smith written all over it!

Yep, I can definitely see this as an Alex Smith type of hype. I am just trying to remember when the Falcons drafted a guy in the 1st who had an immediate impact. I realize that QB's, WR's, and some DB's take years to develop but it would be nice for someone new to contribute on either side of the ball while we once again wait for the offense to build again.

Yep, I can definitely see this as an Alex Smith type of hype. I am just trying to remember when the Falcons drafted a guy in the 1st who had an immediate impact. I realize that QB's, WR's, and some DB's take years to develop but it would be nice for someone new to contribute on either side of the ball while we once again wait for the offense to build again.

Way too much hype on Ryan.