Jake Long just weighted in

atljbo

iDash (2/21/2008)
If we Draft him , he can play RG!

The only way Jake Long with play RG for the Falcons is if two OT's fell out of heaven and ended up on the roster starting on both ends.

Oh, and the only way the Falcons don't use him at LT is if his footwork can not be improved. He has what it takes. Dropping about 15 pounds might have given him some extra pep.

thats the thing....at run blocking jake long will be one of the best in the league because dude is one a monster...he will be like Orlando pace in that instance because dude is aggressive....pass rushing is another story....dude gets beat to much to be a top 5 pick as a LT.....all i can remember is this

chris30277 (2/21/2008)
grendel (2/21/2008)
Petrino is NOT my hero (2/21/2008)
Jake Long is going to be a force to be reckoned with at LT in the NFL

...at run blocking

exactly what we need to be a run oriented team.

dude if your gonne be a top 5 LT.....you gotta be a beast at run blocking and pass protection...that was big Lenard Davis problem.....he is a beast at run blocking but average at beast in pass protection as a LT

grendel (2/21/2008)
Ryan Duncan (2/21/2008)
He's got to be our #1. The biggest need and here's the solution. Just look at how well it worked out for Cleveland.

Jake Long is no Joe Thomas. Ryan Clady is the best LT in this draft.

I'll have to look into him, here at school, I dont have my NFL network so I miss out on alot of the draft coverages.

thats the thing....at run blocking jake long will be one of the best in the league because dude is one a monster...he will be like Orlando pace in that instance because dude is aggressive....pass rushing is another story....dude gets beat to much to be a top 5 pick as a LT.....all i can remember is this

Wah?

Dude - he gave up 1 sack this year. That was to Gholsten.

Draftnut57 (2/21/2008)
Only one small problem that Jake has , but it could be much bigger in the NFL , He is not as quick as he needs to be IMO , A very quick DE will get by him a lot of the time , Other than that he is awsome .

You might have a point, the play in the Big Ten is certainly not as fast as the SEC, but the fact he played in a major conference and only gave up 2 sacks and had only 2 penalties during his ENTIRE career is pretty impressive. I was just reading about his physicals at the combine today:

1. He showed up 20 pounds lighter (hopefully quicker).

2. He has some LOOONNNNNGGGG arms.

All that said - I hope we aren't forced to take him in the 1st round. If we are picking 5th, the 2 DT's, Ryan and McFadden may all be off the table.

So who do you pick, Howie's kid or Jake?