Ranking the Falcons offense in '80, '98 and 2004.

In 1980, The offense led by Steve Bartkowski was ranked 5th in points and 3rd in yards.

In 1998 the offense led by Chris Chandler was ranked 4th in points and 7th in yards.

in 2004 the offense led by Michael Vick was ranked 16th in points and 20th in yards.

I was STUNNED.Lets be civil in our discussions please.

ghoticov (2/21/2008)
formul8or (2/21/2008)
Our d-line carried us in '04, they were outstanding.

Not according to Gazoo, he said we had a "medicore defense" in THIS THREAD . I will quote it for you:

"In the Falcons 2nd best season ever in 2004, Vick had a mediocre #14 ranked defense."

Also interesting is the fact the Offenses in 1998 and 1980 ranked so high in YARDS. Which means they were moving up the field which means the D wasn't always giving them a short field to score. but facts are lost to some of these post-ers who prove more and more every day they start watching in 2001.

This is getting to be kind of SAD.

We're trying to compare the 3 most successful teams, which is apparently, all we have as far as success....

Fact: ATL has had the Falcons for over 40 years and we're still waiting on a back-to-back winning seasons.

Fact: None of these teams won in the Super Bowl.

Fact: The Falcons still do not have a player that was elected into the Hall of Fame. (Even though there have been some good ones like Nobis and Van Note).

Fact: We're 'rebuilding' for the umpteenth time...

Fact: I'm still a Falcon fan wondering if they'll win the SB before I die but I will die a Falcons fan!

falconfansince66 (2/21/2008)
This is getting to be kind of SAD.

We're trying to compare the 3 most successful teams, which is apparently, all we have as far as success....

Fact: ATL has had the Falcons for over 40 years and we're still waiting on a back-to-back winning seasons.

Fact: None of these teams won in the Super Bowl.

Fact: The Falcons still do not have a player that was elected into the Hall of Fame. (Even though there have been some good ones like Nobis and Van Note).

Fact: We're 'rebuilding' for the umpteenth time...

Fact: I'm still a Falcon fan wondering if they'll win the SB before I die but I will die a Falcons fan!

I'm just bringing some fairness and balance into the equation. It seems some people are afraid to post here. Sad that they are not interested in the truth.

Why do they bring up QB's in all those defense threads but not want to discuss them in offense threads? That just seems silly to me.And agenda driven.

pencilpusher (2/21/2008)
In 1980, The offense led by Steve Bartkowski was ranked 5th in points and 3rd in yards.

In 1998 the offense led by Chris Chandler was ranked 4th in points and 7th in yards.

in 2004 the offense led by Michael Vick was ranked 16th in points and 20th in yards.

Uh Oh, more facts.

pencilpusher (2/21/2008)

DON'T BE STUNNED ................. THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE. IT IS WHAT IT IS........:)

pencilpusher (2/21/2008)

Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Bart had Andrews in his backfield.

Chandler had Anderson in his backfield.

Vick had Dunn in his backfield.

Now who had the best running back ?

pencilpusher (2/21/2008)

I'm glad too see ya Pencil, I hope you ate your wheaties this kids are driving me crazy.

I know you did! You got that belt handy?

the evil emperor (2/21/2008)
pencilpusher (2/21/2008)

Uh Oh--even more facts...

the evil emperor (2/21/2008)
pencilpusher (2/21/2008)

Since you guys think Andrews was WAAAAAY better than Dunn, lets look, shall we?

Wanna know the truth? Andrews and Dunn are pretty equal .Shocked? here's the FACTS.

Both in 6 years in Atlanta:

Andrews in his 6 seasons and 87 games in Atlanta Ran for 5,986 yards with 30 Tds with 2647 yards receiving for 11 TDs. Andrews averaged 68 yards per game and 4.6 yards per carry.

In his 6th and final season, at 31 years old, Andrews gained 214 yards,1TD and averaged 14.4 yards per game.

In 1980, he rushed for 1308 yards and 4 TDs. Of the three, Andrews gave the least production in their " best record year"

Dunn, in 6 seasons and 90 games in Atlanta has rushed for 5979 yards, 30 TDs with 1635 receiving yards for 6 TD's.

Dunn averaged 66.4 yards per game with a 4.2 YPG average.

In his 6th season, at 32 years old, Dunn gained 718 yards, 4 td's and averaged 44 yards per game.

In 2004 Dunn rushed for 1106 yards and 9 Tds. Dunn gave Vick more production than Anderson Gave Bart in their "best record year"

Jamal Anderson in 8 seasons and 88 games in Atlanta rushed for 5336 yards with 34 tds and a 4.0 yards per carry average for 60 yards per game average.. he had 1645 receiving yards with 7 TD's

In his final season he was 29 years old and ran for 190 yards and 1 TD.

In 1998, he ran for 1846 yards and 14 TDs.

Of the three, Anderson gave the most production in their " best record year.

Yes indeed, more facts!!!!! All the RBS have VERY similar stats, yet Chandler in his best season,1998 led an offense ranked 4th in points and 7th in yards.

Steve Bartkowski in 1980 led an offense ranked 5th in points and 3rd in Yards.

Vick in 2004 led an offense ranked 16th in points and 20th in yards.

FACTS FACTS FACTS FACTS FACTS!!!!!!!!

pencilpusher (2/22/2008)___________________________________________

Andrews in his 6 seasons and 87 games in Atlanta Ran for 5,986 yards with 30 Tds with 2647 yards receiving for 11 TDs. Andrews averaged 68 yards per game and 4.6 yards per carry.

In his 6th and final season, at 31 years old, Andrews gained 214 yards,1TD and averaged 14.4 yards per game.

In 1980, he rushed for 1308 yards and 4 TDs. Of the three, Andrews gave the least production in their " best record year"

Dunn, in 6 seasons and 90 games in Atlanta has rushed for 5979 yards, 30 TDs with 1635 receiving yards for 6 TD's.

In his 6th season, at 32 years old, Dunn gained 718 yards, 4 td's and averaged 44 yards per game.

In 2004 Dunn rushed for 1106 yards and 9 Tds. Dunn gave Vick more production than Anderson Gave Bart in their "best record year"

Let's also be honest with this.... Dunn in his time here, has been THE guy. Sure he's split time, but he's been the #1 guy.

You bring up Andrews 6th year here where he only had 200 something yards? Thank Gerald Riggs who rushed for 1300+ yards, following a 1400+ and 1700+ yard seasons.

Let's not also forget that his 6th year in ATL, 1986, was after not playing in 1984 or 1985. He was not THE guy in '86. Plain and simple, Gazoo can twist stats, and you can too.

As a matter of fact, in the 4 years in ATL the he actually was 'THE' guy... he had over 1000 yards in each season.

Ryan Duncan (2/22/2008)
pencilpusher (2/22/2008)___________________________________________

Let's also be honest with this.... Dunn in his time here, has been THE guy. Sure he's split time, but he's been the #1 guy.

You bring up Andrews 6th year here where he only had 200 something yards? Thank Gerald Riggs who rushed for 1300+ yards, following a 1400+ and 1700+ yard seasons.

Let's not also forget that his 6th year in ATL, 1986, was after not playing in 1984 or 1985. He was not THE guy in '86. Plain and simple, Gazoo can twist stats, and you can too.

As a matter of fact, in the 4 years in ATL the he actually was 'THE' guy... he had over 1000 yards in each season.

Show me where I twisted a Stat. I merely posted ACTUAL, FACTUAL stats that show all three running backs and especially Dunn and Andrews have VERY similar stats. That in the face of everyone claiming Andrews was all world and Dunn was a scrub . All these people saying " yea but Bart had Andrews!!" need to look at the stats and see two very similar careers for 6 years.. I posted all of their last year stats simply because everyone raged that Dunn sucked so bad last year. Andrews played 6 years and Dunn has played 6 years, so far.

As a matter of fact, the two years Andrews did not play, Bart had Riggs who put up similar numbers.

pencilpusher (2/21/2008)

Tough comparison between 1980 and 1998....both teams are very comparible. They were both balanced....Great Running Game and Passing Game.

2004 does not really compare....We had a top running game but poor passing game. The reason for our success was Vicks explosiveness from the QB position. Vick caught the league by surprise....At the time, the NFL as a whole was trying to put together defenses that would be capable of stopping Vick. There were only 3-5 different teams with solid defense that had the ability to stop Vick....By stopping Vicks running, it was practically a guarenteed win for the opposing team. Vick overall was not a consistant threat in passing. Atlanta beat a weak defensive team (SL Rams in the division playoffs) but when we went against a good defensive team (Phil Eagles) in the championship game...Vick's running was stopped (26 yards) and he could not move the team with his arm (124 yards passing, 11 - 24, 1 int) 2 - 11 on 3rd down attempts.

Valid stats, it's hard to compare all 3 teams because well they are 3 different teams. I know why you posted it though because of what has been posted throughout the week. Like I said in one of those threads all 3 qb's did good things for this franchise and you can't really compare them because the team was built differently and different Era's.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (2/22/2008)
Valid stats, it's hard to compare all 3 teams because well they are 3 different teams. I know why you posted it though because of what has been posted throughout the week. Like I said in one of those threads all 3 qb's did good things for this franchise and you can't really compare them because the team was built differently and different Era's.

Yep, and it amazed me that certain people were trying to compare the QB's in a DEFENSE thread. Then they started saying " well, Steve had Andrews" and then a smart person can look at Andrews stats and Dunns stats and see they were VERY close and similar. neither gave their QB an edge over the other they were so similar stat-wise. But still people enshrined William to HOF sainthood and Dunn to the scrap-yard. That was just dishonest. And it makes me question some peoples football knowledge.

I mentioned the different eras and someone slammed me for that. Like how could you NOT consider the eras if you are going to compare two QB's who played quite a few years apart.

But all in all, I just thought it strange that people wanted to compare DEFENSES while talking QB's.

pencilpusher (2/22/2008)

Yep, and it amazed me that certain people were trying to compare the QB's in a DEFENSE thread. Then they started saying " well, Steve had Andrews" and then a smart person can look at Andrews stats and Dunns stats and see they were VERY close and similar. neither gave their QB an edge over the other they were so similar stat-wise. But still people enshrined William to HOF sainthood and Dunn to the scrap-yard. That was just dishonest. And it makes me question some peoples football knowledge.

I mentioned the different eras and someone slammed me for that. Like how could you NOT consider the eras if you are going to compare two QB's who played quite a few years apart.

But all in all, I just thought it strange that people wanted to compare DEFENSES while talking QB's.

I see what you mean, I honestly can't even come close to comparing all 3 of them. I wasn't born when Bart was playing. I watched Chris Chandler and he was one of my favorite players at the time but I was in middle school and didn't know every detail of football like I do now. So Vick is the only one that I have watched when I started knowing the game of football.