But I Thought D Hall Said He Would Take Less Money...

Vicious

To play across from such a fine talent as Chris Houston:w00t: Give me freaking break. Now he's showing his true colors. I don't blame him for wanting to get paid, but to say all that bs and then turn right around and threaten to hold out until he gets an extension shows you how selfish he is. I hope he proves me wrong, or we trade his "me' self to somebody who wants to give up some picks for him.

bossFALCON (2/20/2008)
lol he never said he wanted a bunch of money. he just wants an extension. nobody can prove he wants the big bucks. no links.

If I'm not mistaken, that rumour was made after some comment he made right after Chris' first big game (Panthers, I think?). You know Hall, he's always jackjawing about one thing or the other and running his mouth faster than his brain. I don't have a direct quote of what he said, but I saw it. To be honest, I don't even remember the $ part, I just remember him complimenting Houston and saying he'd like to play beside him for a while.

falconfoozball (2/20/2008)
bossFALCON (2/20/2008)
lol he never said he wanted a bunch of money. he just wants an extension. nobody can prove he wants the big bucks. no links.

If I'm not mistaken, that rumour was made after some comment he made right after Chris' first big game (Panthers, I think?). You know Hall, he's always jackjawing about one thing or the other and running his mouth faster than his brain. I don't have a direct quote of what he said, but I saw it. To be honest, I don't even remember the $ part, I just remember him complimenting Houston and saying he'd like to play beside him for a while.

I swear I remember him saying "even if I have to take less money". I'm going to have to research that. BRB.

falconfoozball (2/20/2008)
bossFALCON (2/20/2008)

he did say he would take less to play alongside houston. it is somewhere on atlantafalcons.com in the quotables i think.

Hall did say he would take less money to play across from Houston.

He also said he wouldn't play for a loosing team again, and that he would sit out if he didn't get a new contract.

Hall says a lot of things, I've made it a point to simply look at what he does on the field. It's been a few seasons of disappointment. Even though he was planning on being the team leader this year. Check out him ripping out an easy interception out of Jimmy Williams hands in the SF game. Now that is leadership. Or he just talks a lot.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The difference between being a rookie and being a rookie cornerback in the NFL may seem to be just the exception of one, multi-syllable word. In reality, it's a little more complicated.

Rookie cornerbacks have a tough road to navigate on their path to becoming polished veterans. It's often dotted with slips, long balls and a barrage of quick passes that test both physical and mental endurance.

Through nine games, Falcons rookie Chris Houston has passed the test. And he's proving offenses in the NFC South need to be careful with traditional thinking.

Houston, a second-round choice in last April's draft, started the season with big expectations and a spot-duty assignment in the defensive lineup. He officially moved into the starting slot opposite DeAngelo Hall last week at Carolina with what could be called a make-or-break opportunity.

Eight tackles and two pass break-ups later, Houston let the NFL know he's no ordinary rookie cornerback.

He was immediately recognized by his teammates and national decision makers. The 23-year-old was nominated for Rookie of the Week honors for the first time in his career.

"I think when we started the year out (Lewis Sanders) was in there (and) we were getting Chris in and getting him some experience," Head Coach Bobby Petrino said. "I think the defensive coaches -- Coach (Mike) Zimmer and the staff -- did an excellent job of bringing him along.

"He knows people are going to go after him because of DeAngelo on the other side. He's a great competitor; he's done a nice job of competing. His technique has gotten better and he's very fast."

The 5-foot-11, 183-pound rookie proved his worth on multiple plays against the Panthers. Quarterback Vinny Testaverde frequently zeroed in on No. 23. Houston answered by swatting away balls and making tackles, including a fourth-quarter knockdown that helped turn away a scoring threat.

He gets another chance to shine this week as he draws assignments that include 13-year veteran Joey Galloway, who leads the Buccaneers with 648 receiving yards and five touchdowns.

Houston said he's ready for the challenge.

"He's a big-play threat that they have and I'm looking forward to it," the 23-year-old said. "I've seen him on TV since I was little. I'm going to be a little star struck out there. I'm just looking forward to playing him and going out there and giving it my all."

With 26 total tackles and three passes defensed, Houston is well on his way to putting up veteran-type numbers.

To do so, he's getting veteran guidance.

"(Sanders) was real helpful because, in this league, it's faster and the terminology is different," Houston said. "If I needed any help in either one of those categories he was able to show me. He was much more of a vocal leader and he'll go out and show me on the practice field."

Houston credits Hall, a two-time Pro Bowler with three picks this season, for providing visual inspiration on the field.

Hall responded by offering a telling endorsement of Houston after Sunday's game.

"He definitely grew up today," he said. "I told him if I have to take less money just to play along side him I ll do it. That kid definitely grew up today. He s a force to be reckoned with."

There's a fact the league is quickly coming to grips with.

"I wouldn't pick on Chris," fellow rookie Laurent Robinson said. "That's just how it goes. That's the name of the game. If you see a rookie anywhere on the defensive side of the ball you're going to pick at him just because you think he's inexperienced. That's the philosophy people use."

A philosophy that could be wrong.

Found it!

So, the point you keep ignoring regardless is that he isn't holding out for more money, as it is right now he doesn't have an offer because we are "weighing our options". We are passive aggresively trying to push him out the door so we can't he make his own demands? Some people never get a chance, anything he ever says around here is going to get tagged as anti team one way or another, all I can say is if he gets traded at least you people will have to find something else to ##### about, im 100% sure jamaal anderson will be the guy.

Warningx13 (2/21/2008)
So, the point you keep ignoring regardless is that he isn't holding out for more money, as it is right now he doesn't have an offer because we are "weighing our options". We are passive aggresively trying to push him out the door so we can't he make his own demands? Some people never get a chance, anything he ever says around here is going to get tagged as anti team one way or another, all I can say is if he gets traded at least you people will have to find something else to ##### about, im 100% sure jamaal anderson will be the guy.

And I'll ask again. Who holds out for less money? If he isn't asking for much and just wants an extension, then how come this hasn't happened yet? The coach already said he really likes him. If he wasn't asking for much and the new coach really likes him, then he should have already been signed or in negotiations.

Vicious (2/21/2008)
Warningx13 (2/21/2008)

And I'll ask again. Who holds out for less money? If he isn't asking for much and just wants an extension, then how come this hasn't happened yet? The coach already said he really likes him. If he wasn't asking for much and the new coach really likes him, then he should have already been signed or in negotiations.

For less money then what? His rookie contract? We haven't offered him jack. No player is going to take an insane amount less then he is worth, and he is worth a lot don't kid yourself. Him saying he would take less doesn't mean that he is going to accept being paid like an average player when he isn't just average. Of course he is holding out for more money but he isnt getting paid, he has no extension, if we offered him something and he said "no thats not enough" then what you are trying to say right now would make oh so much more sense.

Vicious (2/20/2008)
To play across from such a fine talent as Chris Houston:w00t: Give me freaking break. Now he's showing his true colors. I don't blame him for wanting to get paid, but to say all that bs and then turn right around and threaten to hold out until he gets an extension shows you how selfish he is. I hope he proves me wrong, or we trade his "me' self to somebody who wants to give up some picks for him.

****, he did say that, didn't he?

I totally forgot about that lil' tidbit.

I know, but all I'm saying is that if the new coach really likes him and all he wants is a contract extension and not a blockbuster deal then why hasn't he been extended yet? I mean that sounds like a no brainer. Sounds like there should be no kind of talk about holding out.

Absolute (2/21/2008)
****, I think he outplayed his rookie contract. I think he deserves an extension. Doesn't anyone else?

You're not listening to what I'm saying. I never said he didn't deserve more than what he's being paid now. I'm saying that you don't threaten to hold out unless you're asking for too much money, which is the opposite of what he said in the enlarged portion of the above article. He said it, not me. I know he means less than what he may have gunned for, but seriously, you don't hold out if all you're looking for is a nice raise and an extension. He's looking to break the bank it seems.

Vicious (2/20/2008)

I think you misunderstood. He said he would take less money, as in less money than he would from other teams, but still more than he is making now. For example, if he is making $5 million now and wants an extension to $10 million, he would take $8 million to play here.... still more than he is making now....

atripes (2/21/2008)
Vicious (2/20/2008)

I think you misunderstood. He said he would take less money, as in less money than he would from other teams, but still more than he is making now. For example, if he is making $5 million now and wants an extension to $10 million, he would take $8 million to play here.... still more than he is making now....

Read the post right above your post.

Vicious (2/21/2008)
Absolute (2/21/2008)
****, I think he outplayed his rookie contract. I think he deserves an extension. Doesn't anyone else?

You're not listening to what I'm saying. I never said he didn't deserve more than what he's being paid now. I'm saying that you don't threaten to hold out unless you're asking for too much money, which is the opposite of what he said in the enlarged portion of the above article. He said it, not me. I know he means less than what he may have gunned for, but seriously, you don't hold out if all you're looking for is a nice raise and an extension. He's looking to break the bank it seems.

D-Hall views himself as the best CB in the league. Before his comments he was looking for the same, if not more money than Nate Clements got. Now he may be asking for slightly less than Nate, but it is probably still WAY out of range of what the Falcons are willing to pay, hence the holdout.

There is no doubt that he is living up to his comments though. He didnt say he would come cheap to play with Houston, he said he would take Less (not cheap) which is what he is likely offering.

Vicious (2/21/2008)
Absolute (2/21/2008)

Where did he say he was going to hold out?