Attention all Brooking Bashers....

Man I really get sick of all the Cut Brooking, Brooking sucks BS!!!!

You all see the team struggling to defend against the run, and automatically point the finger at our "supposed top notch linebacker". After all it is his job to stop the run right? You then begin to watch for him to miss tackles and/or be out of position on plays, which you see some of, and this confirms your stance that he just very good.

Pick any LB in the league, I mean it, any one, and then look for the same. You will find it.

Noone is in position every single play or makes every tackle.

The truth is that Brooking has suffered in the recent past from inconsistant, and sometimes downright horrible line play. You see, a LB is largely reliant on his defensive line.

It is the defensive line's job to not only fill gaps, but to open blitzing/rushing lanes, and most importantly eat up blockers, and keep them from reaching the second level, keeping the LBs free to chase down the ball carrier.

The Falcons D-line has been predominantly undersized, and has lacked strength. Not to mention the fact that their best d-lineman have spent more time injured than on the field the past few years, and the majority of games have been played with a makeshift line.

I challenge you to go back and watch the games again. This time watch for how Brooking has to fight off blockers before attacking the ball, more often than not, causing it to look like he is out of position. Then factor in all of the plays and tackles that he makes after doing so, and yards he has to make up, and the space that he has to cover to reach the ball carrier.

You want better linebackers, then bolster the defensive line, you'll find that with a bigger stronger line, Brooking could easily have yet another pro-bowl season.

The overall ignorance of the Xs and Os of the game of football on these boards never ceases to amaze me, considering that they are football message boards. Yet so many of you are so quick to judge these atheletes, when you don't even have a clue as to the criteria essential to do so.

I've been a member of these boards since their inception, and I often wonder why I still get on here at all. So many trolls and so much ignorance.

Kieth Brooking is one of the premere linebackers in the game (still), and he is respected by his teammates and his peers alike. Afterall how many pro-bowls did they vote him to? Something like 5 in a row?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Nixon (2/20/2008)
Brooking would look better if he could shed blockers and made an effort to attack the line, though I sincerely hope that he does not bruise his nails doing dirty work like fighting to the ball and making a tackle close to the line.

yeah, you tell me when you find a superhuman linebacker that can shed 2-3 blocks a play, not get pushed back, AND attack the line and be in perfect positon to make the tackle?

HA

UGA_DAWG46 (2/20/2008)
Playing linebacker is hard when your D-line miss their assignment. Brooking is a good LB. And most people want to cut him because of his huge contract. I think he should stay with a restructure contract.

That's very true, it's very hard to play without good line play. But you know what? It's also hard when you close your eyes and lunge on the few occasions when you're not missing running backs in the open field, biting ankles, and pilediving.

UGA_DAWG46 (2/20/2008)
Playing linebacker is hard when your D-line miss their assignment. Brooking is a good LB. And most people want to cut him because of his huge contract. I think he should stay with a restructure contract.

That's very true, it's very hard to play without good line play. But you know what? It's also hard when you close your eyes and lunge on the few occasions when you're not missing running backs in the open field, biting ankles, and pilediving.

sounds a bit like deion sanders, but deion never had to shed blocks and deal with the fact the d line was awful and the runningback ran free.

Dalton (2/20/2008)
Brooking would look better if he could shed blockers and made an effort to attack the line, though I sincerely hope that he does not bruise his nails doing dirty work like fighting to the ball and making a tackle close to the line.

yeah, you tell me when you find a superhuman linebacker that can shed 2-3 blocks a play, not get pushed back, AND attack the line and be in perfect positon to make the tackle?

HA

Brooking can't shed one block, at least not until the running back is beside or behind him. I can't imagine how he could even think about a second blocker or the LOS when he's so easily occupided.

Dalton (2/20/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (2/20/2008)

sounds a bit like deion sanders, but deion never had to shed blocks and deal with the fact the d line was awful and the runningback ran free.

True, but a good linebacker will never, ever be comparable to Deion Sanders in his tackling.

DirtiestBird0027 (2/20/2008)

You all see the team struggling to defend against the run, and automatically point the finger at our "supposed top notch linebacker". After all it is his job to stop the run right? You then begin to watch for him to miss tackles and/or be out of position on plays, which you see some of, and this confirms your stance that he just very good.

Pick any LB in the league, I mean it, any one, and then look for the same. You will find it.

The truth is that Brooking has suffered in the recent past from inconsistant, and sometimes downright horrible line play. You see, a LB is largely reliant on his defensive line.

It is the defensive line's job to not only fill gaps, but to open blitzing/rushing lanes, and most importantly eat up blockers, and keep them from reaching the second level, keeping the LBs free to chase down the ball carrier.

The Falcons D-line has been predominantly undersized, and has lacked strength. Not to mention the fact that their best d-lineman have spent more time injured than on the field the past few years, and the majority of games have been played with a makeshift line.

I challenge you to go back and watch the games again. This time watch for how Brooking has to fight off blockers before attacking the ball, more often than not, causing it to look like he is out of position. Then factor in all of the plays and tackles that he makes after doing so, and yards he has to make up, and the space that he has to cover to reach the ball carrier.

You want better linebackers, then bolster the defensive line, you'll find that with a bigger stronger line, Brooking could easily have yet another pro-bowl season.

The overall ignorance of the Xs and Os of the game of football on these boards never ceases to amaze me, considering that they are football message boards. Yet so many of you are so quick to judge these atheletes, when you don't even have a clue as to the criteria essential to do so.

I've been a member of these boards since their inception, and I often wonder why I still get on here at all. So many trolls and so much ignorance.

Kieth Brooking is one of the premere linebackers in the game (still), and he is respected by his teammates and his peers alike. Afterall how many pro-bowls did they vote him to? Something like 5 in a row?

Excellent post! nice to see someone feel the same as i do. Brooking is very solid linebacker that has tremendous instict and passion for the game. Brooking is a falcon to the bone and deserves to be treated like one.

Dalton (2/20/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (2/20/2008)

True, but a good linebacker will never, ever be comparable to Deion Sanders in his tackling.

and brooking shouldnt, you are making false accusations and the fact that you grade his performance when he has to work with the rest of the defense.

Dalton (2/20/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (2/20/2008)

Cornerback a known not to be verygood tackler. I agree with your statement when you tackle with your eyes open. You bring a lot more pain.

I totally agree with you. I find it hilarious that when other teams with names like Lewis and Urlacher have a DL in front of them they play great. When they don't have it all of a sudden its "Did Ray lose a step? Is Urlacher overrated??" but when they get the guys in front of them the next season its right back to "OMG those two are the best EVAH!!!"

Its the same with Keith.

So the rest of the defense is an excuse for him to be a poor tackler? The entire defense was poor last year, save for Boley, Abe, and occasionally Nicholas when healthy, I don't see why Brooking gets a pass when he hasn't stopped the run since 2004.

there aren't many good tacklers when the ball carrier is running free and there is a blocker infront of him that was missed by a DT

I see Michael Boley perform consistently well...in every facet of the game. I see Demorrio miss few tackles when they get to his level(albeit he cant shed the blocks to begin with).

I dont see either of those on a consistent basis from Booking.

He is far from terrible...but its obvious we need a new MLB. I wouldnt mind seeing what Brooking can do again at WLB, any maybe we will get to now that Demo is an URFA.

Biggest mistake #5 since 2002 = cutting Chris Draft and replacing him with Hurtwell

#4 = bringing 'Toast' Williams here

#3 = drafting TJ Duckett

#2 = trading for Peerless Price

#1 = kinda obvious

keithbrooking56 (2/20/2008)

I totally agree with you. I find it hilarious that when other teams with names like Lewis and Urlacher have a DL in front of them they play great. When they don't have it all of a sudden its "Did Ray lose a step? Is Urlacher overrated??" but when they get the guys in front of them the next season its right back to "OMG those two are the best EVAH!!!"

Its the same with Keith.

Not quite...though I was never one of those that ever thought Urlacher was a real defensive MVP and Ray Lewis hasn't been the best linebacker on his own team since Adalius Thomas stepped up (with Thomas's departure, Bart Scott is now their best one)

Dalton (2/20/2008)
So the rest of the defense is an excuse for him to be a poor tackler? The entire defense was poor last year, save for Boley, Abe, and occasionally Nicholas when healthy, I don't see why Brooking gets a pass when he hasn't stopped the run since 2004.

there aren't many good tacklers when the ball carrier is running free and there is a blocker infront of him that was missed by a DT

There are many that make the tackle, at least, sometimes they even make an effort to move the blocker and hit the running back, rather than consistently play the nail for the hammer.

Its the same with Keith.

exactly.