Offensive line should be a big priority on draft day...But

I keep hearing so much talk of Jake Long. So many of you seem to be sold on the assessment that he is a can't miss prospect, but I really don't believe it.

Did any of you see the Ohio State / Michigan game this past year?

Ohio state's DE Vernon Gholston beat Jake long into submission (literally)!

For three and a half quarters Long was beaten on nearly every snap, giving up numerous backfield stops, countless QB pressures, and allowed Gholston to rack up 4 sacks.

I say three and a half quarters because, after getting man handled all game "long", he took his leave mid way through the 4th quarter, choosing to make his way to the bench, where he sat for the remainder of the game looking like a completely beaten man.

Vernon Gholston is a very talented DE and will no doubt make a solid pro, but this league is filled with talent of that calliber and greater at the defensive end position.

My concern isn't even as much based on the fact that he got man handled, as players will get bigger and stronger when put through the riggors of training camps, and NFL games and seasons. It is more based on the fact that he wilted under the pressure of facing someone with supperior talent and gave up, as you cannot teach heart.

Let some other team waste a high first rounder on this kid, he may well prove to be a bust!

days of him getting beaten because he was too slow with his feet and couldnt keep up, yea he is a big guy and a good athlete and could work on his footwork but i dont think hes worth our first round pick. i wouldnt mind having him if we really worked on his footwork but i dont want him to be a bust, cause theres many other OL prospects and sleepers

DirtiestBird0027 (2/20/2008)

I keep hearing so much talk of Jake Long. So many of you seem to be sold on the assessment that he is a can't miss prospect, but I really don't believe it.

For three and a half quarters Long was beaten on nearly every snap, giving up numerous backfield stops, countless QB pressures, and allowed Gholston to rack up 4 sacks.

I say three and a half quarters because, after getting man handled all game "long", he took his leave mid way through the 4th quarter, choosing to make his way to the bench, where he sat for the remainder of the game looking like a completely beaten man.

Vernon Gholston is a very talented DE and will no doubt make a solid pro, but this league is filled with talent of that calliber and greater at the defensive end position.

My concern isn't even as much based on the fact that he got man handled, as players will get bigger and stronger when put through the riggors of training camps, and NFL games and seasons. It is more based on the fact that he wilted under the pressure of facing someone with supperior talent and gave up, as you cannot teach heart.

Let some other team waste a high first rounder on this kid, he may well prove to be a bust!

So how did he perform in the other 50+ games he played at Michigan? You cant judge him on only 1 game! Look at the entire body of work.

So how did he perform in the other 50+ games he played at Michigan? You cant judge him on only 1 game! Look at the entire body of work.

True, his body of work looks great on paper, even with the ineptness of that game figured in, but this can also be said about numerous other collegiate player's careers, loads of which are highly touted coming out of school, but for this very same reason just don't quite pan out in the NFL.

It was obvious that he was put to the test in the biggest game of their season, against arguably the best opposing player that he had faced in his collegiate career, and he failed.

The bulk of his body of work was put in against inferior opposition, making it fairly easy for him to get by relying solely on his physical attributes.

When that didn't work for him, he didn't have any answers, or the heart to keep trying, and he gave up.

He is a big, strong, physical athelete who lacks character and heart in my oppinion, you don't have to share in it, just consider it.

DirtiestBird0027 (2/20/2008)

i told people that he wasnt better than foster.