AFMB IMD Free Agency Rules and Explaination

Robb4242

Basic guidelines are going to be similar to regular free agency. Every player that is a Free Agent on Friday, February 22nd is eligible to be bid on in the free agency portion of this game. NFL clubs have until the 29th to designate franchise players or to tender their RFAs. If something happens in real life after the 22nd, it is ignored in this game. But all Franchised Free Agents in real life prior to Feb 22nd are not eligible to be bid on in this game.

Restricted Free Agents:

I ll talk about the RFAs first, since they will be the easiest to deal with. If you have an RFA on your roster, you can submit a tender for that player. To give us time for everyone to see this, the RFA tenders must be posted by 7AM on Monday, Feb 25th. The bidding for RFAs cannot begin until after 7AM on the 25th and will end at midnight on Feb 27th. Only 2 days to bid on RFAs.

We will follow NFL guidelines on the RFAs, so there are 4 types of tenders that can be placed on your RFA. When you exercise this right on your RFA, this WILL COUNT AGAINST YOUR SALARY CAP. The salary cap will be explained later. But, if you do allow a team to sign away a tendered RFA, then you will get the money back to your cap amount to spend. That is why we have a short RFA period. This will give you 2 days to spend any additional money that you may get back if you were to lose an RFA.

1. Right of First Refusal, same round pick that the player was drafted in - $927,000

2. Right of First Refusal, 2nd round draft pick compensation - $1,417,000

3. Right of First Refusal, 1st round draft pick compensation - $2,017,000

4. Right of First Refusal, 1st & 3rd round draft picks compensation - $2,562,000

For those who decide to bid on tendered RFAs, remember that:

1. You will have to give up the draft pick equal to the tendered amount in order to sign that player if the club you are taking him from does not match the offer you make.

2. Your offer will have to be equal to the tender or higher.

3. The original team can match any bid you make on an RFA and you will not get the bid.

If you are the team with the RFA, whenever a bid is made on your RFA, you are given the option to match the bid or to let the team who bid win the player. If you let that team win the player, you will receive the pick in the round that you tendered the player from the team that won the player.

Here is an example from my team (Kansas City). In this example I have 2 RFA s I want to keep:

Dustin Colquitt Punter - 3rd round draft pick

Colquitt is my punter, and a very good one. I don t want to lose him, but know that if I put a minimum tender on him, I ll get a 3rd round pick in return if I don t match an offer for him, so I use the 1st tender available, same round pick that the player was drafted in. That means I will tender him $927,000 and reduce the amount I can spend on FAs by that much. If someone offers him, and I let him go, I get that money back to spend.

Kris Wilson Fullback Undrafted FA

Wilson is my starter & I like him there, but I don t want to pay him a huge sum of money. However if I tender him with a pick in the same round, I won t get a pick for him as he was undrafted. So I will tender him with a 2nd round compensation, which means he will cost me $1,417,000 against my cap. But if someone offers him a contract, I ll get a 2nd round pick if I decide not to match it.

Salary Cap and Free Agent Bidding:

Last year was the 1st time I tried to run a free agency period in addition to the mock draft, and although I liked overall, I think some things need to be changed a little. We are not going to do the salary cap in the normal NFL fashion. We tried that last year and things got a little crazy with some of the bids. I m trying to tweak the rules a little to see what works best in this type game, so the rules for free agency are going to seem a little different to many. Just remember we re doing this to see how it goes and if it doesn t work well, we will adjust it next year. So here is the plan for this year.

Every team will have an equal amount of starting cap space to spend on any FA you choose. That amount will be 12 million dollars.

Here are the basic rules:

1. There is a 12 million dollar cap for spending.

2. There is no limit to the number of free agents a team can sign as long as you are under the 12 million dollar budget. HOWEVER, you CANNOT sign more than 1 player who counts more than 5.5 million dollars against your cap.

3. Deals offered can be from 1 6 years in length, but only the 1st year plus bonus applicable to the 1st year will be deducted from your cap space.

4. Any deal more than 1 year in length can only increase base salary by a maximum of 1 million dollars per season.

5. Base salary s need to be in multiples of, 000 or 250, or 500, or 750. This is to make things easier on me. I will also round off the yearly figure of bonuses for easier calculation. Examples salaries are 750,000, or 1,000,000, or 1,250,000, or 1,500,000, or 1,750,000. An invalid salary would be 1,350,000. Invalid salaries will void your deal and it will not be accepted.

6. Signing bonuses cannot equal an amount more than 3 times the original base salary. If they do, then your offered deal is invalid & will be rejected.

7. The final 2 days of bidding will only be for people who had previously placed bids on a player. If you are the only bidder on the 29th, the player is awarded to you at that point. If there has been more than 1 bid, then the player will not be awarded until March 1st.

8. In close bidding, the FA winner will be determined by 1989fan and myself. Primary factor is contract. Additional minor factors are things like, team need (will he be a starter on 1 team & a backup on another) and home team discount (don t count on that saving you though if you are the team a FA last played for).

The free agency period will be 1 week long. It will start at 7AM on Friday, February 22nd and initial bids will end at midnight on Friday, February 29th. We will not wrap up free agency until Sunday, March 1st at 6PM. On Saturday & Sunday you can ONLY bid on players that you made bids on during the week prior. This is to prevent a person from coming on Friday and making top bids on several players at the last minute & snagging them.

Here are a few examples of how Free Agency can work:

Tim Hasselbeck is an URFA. I want him so I make the following bid&

3-year deal with a $1,200,000 signing bonus

Year 1 Base Salary $750,000

Year 2 Base Salary $1,000,000

Year 3 Base Salary $2,000,000

Year 1 cap hit is $1,150,000

Total salary is $4,950,000

To explain the cap hit, it is the Year 1 base salary plus the 1 season average of the signing bonus. To figure how much bonus to apply to each year of the deal, I divide the bonus amount by the number of years. The bonus is $1,200,000 on a 3-year deal. So in this case the bonus equals $400,000 per season. Add the $400,000 to the year 1 base of $750,000 and my cap hit is now $1,150,000 for this player. That would leave me with 10,850,000 to bid on other players if that s my 1st bid.

Example 2

Randy Moss

6 year deal with a $24,000,000 signing bonus (max signing bonus is 3 times the year 1 base salary)

Year 1 base Salary $8,000,000

Year 2 base salary $9,000,000

Year 3 base salary $10,000,000

Year 4 base salary $11,000,000

Year 5 base salary $12,000,000

Year 6 base salary $13,000,000

Year 1 cap hit is $12,000,000

Total salary is $87,000,000

This is an absolute maximum bid. If you make this bid, you will not be able to keep any RFAs from your team. You will also not be able to sign any other free agents. If anyone matches this type bid I will not decide on who gets the win until after free agency closes. So you are going to lose the opportunity to make any other bids. What I will do in this case, and maybe in other cases too close to call is a roll of the dice. I have a random number generator and I will ask you for this information:

1. Odd/Even pick one

2. High/Low/Middle pick one (1-49 is low, 51-100 is high, 50 is middle)

3. Quarters pick one 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, 4th quarter (1 24 = 1st quarter, ect.)

4. 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 pick one (0 = 1 9, 1 = 10 19, 2 = 21 29, ect.)

Hopefully a 4 place tie breaker will decide this you will be making this pick in PM to me, so you will not know what others have chosen. If there are 3 people making max bid, and 2 pick odd and 1 picks even and the roll is odd, the person who picked even is out & we go to tie breaker #2 with the last 2 people until we have a winner. There will only be 1 roll. If somehow there is still a tie, the I will have the people still tied change 2 of their 4 answers and I ll start again with them from the top.

raidanation (2/20/2008)
So, a roll of the dice could chose our fate w/ a FA acquisition?Someone likes Vegas....

:D

Think I got it as well.If I have any trip ups, I'll be sending a PM

Just on any contracts that are too close to call. Have not been to Vegas in years.

*Misses going to Vegas*

Wasn't a bad trip from San Diego when I lived there.

grendel (2/21/2008)
What is the deciding factor on contract vs. contract measurements? Is it total contract amount, signing bonus amount, or first year cap hit?
There is some subjectivity to it.

Upfront money (Year 1 & signing bonus) weigh heavily.

Total contract both length & size are also factors. But, if the contract is too long and unrealistic, and someone else offers a shorter, more realistic deal with similar upfront money, then the FA will normally take the shorter deal. Remember, the big payday is the day you sign the contract, so the more contracts a player signs, the more signing bonuses he's going to get. But if it's a guy who deserves a 6 year deal, then make him the deal.

Playing time is a factor. If you are heavy at a position, i.e. 2 solid starters there, and the guy you are signing is not a major upgrade, he's probably going to a team where he's pretty sure to get more playing time.

Home team bonus. Unless it fairly well known that a player doesn't want to be there (i.e. Faneca) and as long as the team doesn't have a young guy ready to take the vets place, then there is a little of a home team bonus. Meaning that a similar or very slightly behind contract from the team he last played for can win out over an almost equal contract from someone else.

How late you offer a guy can play as well. If you've been bidding on others at a position & you lose out or just won't go any higher & go to another guy at the last minute, there may be some thought of "I don't want to be your 2nd or 3rd choice" so he might not sign with you without a good bit better deal if there is a team that has been pursuing him all week.

Hope that helps explain somewhat. And the above is just on close contracts. If you've beaten out other offers by 10 - 15% (not a set figure) or more in upfront money, then it's a no-brainer that they will go to you.

The Cush (2/21/2008)
Isn't #4 actually two first round draft picks?

BTW, Kris Wilson was drafted in the 2nd round. :)

According to the copy of the CBA that I have, the compensation is one 1st and one 3rd as the max compensation. That's a 2006 amended version. I don't believe that has changed.

grendel (2/21/2008)
Robb4242 (2/21/2008)
The Cush (2/21/2008)
Isn't #4 actually two first round draft picks?

BTW, Kris Wilson was drafted in the 2nd round. :)

According to the copy of the CBA that I have, the compensation is one 1st and one 3rd as the max compensation. That's a 2006 amended version. I don't believe that has changed.

I believe another level was added last year, but I forget.

That was either the adding of the 2nd round pick compensation or the single 1st round pick compensation I believe.

showyouright (2/21/2008)
I haven't read an answer to this anywhere but, do we post our bids here? Do we PM the bids to you? I'm confused on that one. :unsure:
I'll start a new thread late tonight that will be for the bidding. If you bid before 7AM, you might get hit with a tampering penalty. But if you know you won't be online for several DAYS, then you can PM me your bids early.

What I will do is start a thread. I won't put much info in post 1, but post 2 and/or 3 will have all the free agents in it. You can't edit the 1st post in a thread on the new boards, so just in case the site I will use to get the names is wrong, I will be able to edit the thread and make corrections.

Robb4242 (2/21/2008)
showyouright (2/21/2008)
I haven't read an answer to this anywhere but, do we post our bids here? Do we PM the bids to you? I'm confused on that one. :unsure:
I'll start a new thread late tonight that will be for the bidding. If you bid before 7AM, you might get hit with a tampering penalty. But if you know you won't be online for several DAYS, then you can PM me your bids early.

What I will do is start a thread. I won't put much info in post 1, but post 2 and/or 3 will have all the free agents in it. You can't edit the 1st post in a thread on the new boards, so just in case the site I will use to get the names is wrong, I will be able to edit the thread and make corrections.

Can we go ahead and tender restricted FAs before 7?

The Cush (2/21/2008)
Robb4242 (2/21/2008)
showyouright (2/21/2008)

Can we go ahead and tender restricted FAs before 7?
As soon as I make the thread, that can start. I don't want to have the thread up too early though Remember RFA's will not be on the list of FA's that I put out on Friday, so you have all weekend to get those in.

Are we going to have a seperate thread for trades proposals and completed deals?

I think it would be best for you to create all the threads Robb, since if anyone is like me they look for your names as poster when searching for the threads.....

Copy and paste the rules if you want....actually I never heard back from you regarding the trade rules I wrote up. Let me know so people can get an understanding ahead of time, like UFA period.

Ok I have a question... If a team has an offer for a player and is awarded that player as of Friday but another team had an offer for that player, that team can raise their offer on Sat. or Sun. and beat the offer of the team who was originally awarded that player, right?

This being the case, if a team loses out on a player on Saturday or Sunday, IMO they should be able to sign a remaining FA of that same position who has not had any previous bids provided they stay under the cap...

Example: if a team is awarded Randy Moss on Friday but another team who had bid on him raises their offer and ends up with him, the original team should be able to sign Bernard Berrian if and only if Berrian had no offers throughout the FA period. This allows a team to fill their needs if they happen to get sniped over the weekend with a player who otherwise would still be a free agent...

Does this make sense?

Also this doesn't necessarily have to be exclusive to guys a team loses after the initial period... If another team is awarded a player who was bid on by multiple teams, those other teams should be able to sign a different player from that same position (a player who would otherwise be left out as a free agent) after the initial period is over IMO...

Again, it allows a team to fill their FA needs even if their first choice signs with another team...

WTA (2/27/2008)
Ok I have a question... If a team has an offer for a player and is awarded that player as of Friday but another team had an offer for that player, that team can raise their offer on Sat. or Sun. and beat the offer of the team who was originally awarded that player, right?

This being the case, if a team loses out on a player on Saturday or Sunday, IMO they should be able to sign a remaining FA of that same position who has not had any previous bids provided they stay under the cap...

Example: if a team is awarded Randy Moss on Friday but another team who had bid on him raises their offer and ends up with him, the original team should be able to sign Bernard Berrian if and only if Berrian had no offers throughout the FA period. This allows a team to fill their needs if they happen to get sniped over the weekend with a player who otherwise would still be a free agent...

Does this make sense?

I have a follow up to this question. If you are the only one who bid on a player can you lower the amount you were going to pay that player so you would have enough cap room to increase your bid on another player?

for example: I'm the only one who bid on Todd Collins. 4 YR deal for $5,000,000. I also Bid on Michael Turner my bid is short $2,000,000. Can I lower Todd Collins deal by $2,000,000 and increase Turner's deal by $2,000,000? Does that make sense?