If the Falcons only need before the draft was RB, I would rather them draft Stewart or Mendenhall than McFadden.

halsey

There's no reason to think Stewart and Mendenhall can't both be very good NFL RB's for a long time. McFadden however, is a chicken legged bar fighter. He doesn't have the lower body to be an NFL RB and getting into brawls in Buckhead sure wouldn't help either.........nah i'm just bullchiting about his lower body, but the bar fighting bothers me. Basically what i'm saying is that Jonathan Stewart and Reshard Mendenhall should be ahead of McFadden on the Falcon's board.

halsey (2/20/2008)
There's no reason to think Stewart and Mendenhall can't both be very good NFL RB's for a long time. McFadden however, is a chicken legged bar fighter. He doesn't have the lower body to be an NFL RB and getting into brawls in Buckhead sure wouldn't help either.........nah i'm just bullchiting about his lower body, but the bar fighting bothers me. Basically what i'm saying is that Jonathan Stewart and Reshard Mendenhall should be ahead of McFadden on the Falcon's board.

Exactly. I could have written this. Great post!

halsey (2/20/2008)

I'm on the same page as you with Steward and Mendenhall ahead of McFadden.

Character does matter.

Jonathan Stewart

2005 53 188 3.5 33 6 7 45 6.4 12 1 0 0

2006 183 981 5.4 63 10 20 144 7.2 24 1 0 0

2007 280 1722 6.2 88 11 22 145 6.6 21 2 0 0

Rashard Mendenhall

2005 48 218 4.5 18 0 13 82 6.3 16 2 0 0

2006 78 640 8.2 86 5 12 164 13.7 76 1 0 0

2007 262 1681 6.4 79 17 34 318 9.4 55 2 0 0

Darren McFadden

2005 176 1113 6.3 70 11 14 52 3.7 12 0 0 0

2006 284 1647 5.8 80 14 11 149 13.5 70 1 0 0

2007 325 1830 5.6 80 16 21 164 7.8 57 1 0 0

McFadden was the most productive runner every year, obviously not even close the first two years as neither Mendenhall nor Stewart broke the starting lineup until then, he was the most durable and most successful last year. Keep in mind, while Mendenhall and Stewart both played next two athletic quarterbacks in spread offenses against the PAC-10 and Big 10, respectively, McFadden had a very poor, simple passing game around him, in the SEC. McFadden is the only one of the three to be the main target, and is the only one that did not get any real statistical benefit from either competition or offensive system. Even so, he's the most durable and most productive.

I should also mention that, with both of them only having one 1,000 rushing season each, and playing in favorable offensive system for running backs that take most of the carries, and playing in weaker conferences, there are plenty of reasons to not think Stewart or Mendenhall are surefire starters at the next level.

Winners Win (2/20/2008)
Mendenhall is the most prototypical NFL ready RB in the draft, and hes gonna show it next year whoever is lucky enough to get him.

that is simply not true. mendenhall comes from a spread/option style offense. he has the nfl size but he has not played in a nfl style offense. im not saying he wont be good or great but he isnt the most nfl ready back in this draft.

Ron Dayne was the most productive back in college football history. College production isn't NFL production.

...and I was kidding about McFadden's legs. There aren't much in the way of physical questions about McFadden. There aren't for Stewart or Mendenhall either. It's the mental questions that worry me.

Oh, and another reason I forgot to mention: The groupies. McFadden will bring another army of nutthugging bandwagoners who will want him to be worshipped by all. No thanks.

halsey (2/20/2008)
Ron Dayne was the most productive back in college football history. College production isn't NFL production.

...and I was kidding about McFadden's legs. There aren't much in the way of physical questions about McFadden. There aren't for Stewart or Mendenhall either. It's the mental questions that worry me.

Oh, and another reason I forgot to mention: The groupies. McFadden will bring another army of nutthugging bandwagoners who will want him to be worshipped by all. No thanks.

Ron Dayne played at Wisconsin, and was too slow and lacked burst for the NFL, no such problems for McFadden. This franchise needs star power of the team will keep losing and fans will keep staying at home.

halsey (2/20/2008)

i see what your saying with ron dayne but dayne wasnt a very good nfl prospect coming into the nfl. he was short, fat, slow and not elusive, mcfadden is none of the those. as far as the bar fights, i really dont know what to make of those, i dont think its a sign of things to come. i have been in a few bar fights and i have never been in jail, break the law or a trouble maker. when your a top player you are a target and mcfadden will learn that fast.

Richard Nixon (2/20/2008)
halsey (2/20/2008)

Ron Dayne played at Wisconsin, and was too slow and lacked burst for the NFL, no such problems for McFadden. This franchise needs star power of the team will keep losing and fans will keep staying at home.

Not to mention that McFadden rushed for over 200 yards on the number 1 defense in college football, that being LSU.

BlacksburgHokie (2/20/2008)
halsey (2/20/2008)
McFadden...doesn't have the lower body to be an NFL RB

Isn't that what they said about MJD before he was drafted?

He turned out pretty well for JAX...

Are you joking me? MJD = chicken legged. Ok, he's 5'6 and 200 lbs. That's basically the limit his frame can get. There's now way he's skinny at that height and weight.

But i'd pick stewart if we could draft one.

Eric Obraiden (2/20/2008)
One thing that most folks seem to be forgetting is that either Stewart or Mendenhall (or both) could really shoot up the boards depending on their combine results. If Stewart, for example, runs a 4.38 and benches 40 reps;weighs in at 238 lbs; it's not inconceivable that he could become a top 5 to 10 pick.

i dont think stewart will run a 4.38 and if he does he doesnt show it on the field. he has a great burst but i think his long speed is overrated.

as far as MJD, no one said he had chicken legs but they did question his overall size and if he would be able to hold up in the pros because he did have injury questions at ucla.

halsey (2/20/2008)

So you want a rb with bad stats?Those usually translate to the nfl and no fans to avoid huggers?

Dr. Doom (2/20/2008)
If we got DMC, I hope you don't that wildcat formation is gonna work In the nfl. The option barely works in the NFL, But we all know who as able to pull that off

well if thats the case then we shouldnt draft either mendenhall or stewart, both of them came from a spread/option offense.

dan minnich (2/20/2008)
One thing that most folks seem to be forgetting is that either Stewart or Mendenhall (or both) could really shoot up the boards depending on their combine results. If Stewart, for example, runs a 4.38 and benches 40 reps;weighs in at 238 lbs; it's not inconceivable that he could become a top 5 to 10 pick.

i dont think stewart will run a 4.38 and if he does he doesnt show it on the field. he has a great burst but i think his long speed is overrated.

as far as MJD, no one said he had chicken legs but they did question his overall size and if he would be able to hold up in the pros because he did have injury questions at ucla.

youre kind of taking me out of context. I'm using him as an example only. Mendenhall could very well post that type of speed. Regardless, the point of my reply was simply that if a rb goes to the combine and tears it up they often rise in the draft

dan minnich (2/20/2008)

youre kind of taking me out of context. I'm using him as an example only. Mendenhall could very well post that type of speed. Regardless, the point of my reply was simply that if a rb goes to the combine and tears it up they often rise in the draft

i understood i was just making a comment on stewart but i know what your saying and the same can be said with any position.