Is Thomas Dimitroff too "open" with reporters/radio-show hosts?

g-dawg

It seems like TD is very "open" with how he structures the front office, how they evaluate, what needs are, etc.

I've never heard of a GM being so "open". McKay was very open after the draft but very tight-lipped before. I'm just wondering if I am the only one who has observed this?

Before you come down on me, I like the guy...

g-dawg (2/20/2008)
It seems like TD is very "open" with how he structures the front office, how they evaluate, what needs are, etc.

I've never heard of a GM being so "open". McKay was very open after the draft but very tight-lipped before. I'm just wondering if I am the only one who has observed this?

He's a young guy so he's doing alot of on the job learning.

Remember he was director of scouting before and has never held a GM job.

the evil emperor (2/20/2008)
g-dawg (2/20/2008)

understood oh evil one.....

...but this is one of the few areas where I would want Rich McKay advising Dimitroff. TD has the scouting/evaluating talent stuff down but he could use some pointers on being a little more "generic" when speaking w/ media.:)

granted, I'm not saying TD gives away secrets but - for instance, why come out and confirm/deny Brooking/Dunn at this point? what if he wakes up tomorrow and wants to cut them - and he has gone on record now as not doing it... just an example.

g-dawg (2/20/2008)

I don't see it, but I'd rather have a GM that's open and makes good decisions than one who's all secretive and STILL ****s it up.

the evil emperor (2/20/2008)
g-dawg (2/20/2008)

gave an example to evil emperor above. here is another one. He described evaluating tape of free agents and comparing side-by-side to college prospects - is that smart? yes...reason not to disclose - don't help other front offices figure out smart "processes". is this a big deal? no, but I would not give away to anybody what his "processes" were. He disclosed to 790 - again, not a big deal but its somethin'

With all due respect, doing a comparison of free agents abilities/weaknesses vs. prospects isn't exactly a trade secret in the NFL. It's the same process followed in most businesses when making hiring evaluations: you look at the body of work and experience of a veteran in the industry, and compare it to the potential of someone with less or no experience in that same position.

The process isn't a secret and isn't rocket science; however, the ability to accurately evaluate and grade all of the candidates/players and end up with the best player to fit your needs is a unique skill set, which is one key reason that Thomas D is our GM.