Top 8 most underrated players in the NFL

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/col...r_kc&id=3254464

Bobby Engram, WR, Seattle: After I listed Donald Driver as one of the most overrated players last week, I received a number of e-mails from Packers fans demanding to know who deserved the Pro Bowl spot over Driver. Engram certainly would have been an excellent choice. His 94 receptions, 1,147 yards and six receiving touchdowns were all better than Driver's totals, as was his 9.3 yards per attempt. He isn't thought of as a top 10-15 wide receiver, but his numbers say he was one in 2007.

Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Indianapolis: If the speculation is correct and Marvin Harrison does end up being let go by the Colts, it probably will have more to do with the fast development of Gonzalez than Harrison's knee injury. Gonzalez's 11.2 yards per attempt last season would be extremely impressive for a veteran wide receiver, but Gonzalez did it in his rookie campaign.

E.J. Henderson, LB, Minnesota: Pat Williams and Kevin Williams tend to get all of the press for the Vikings' stout run defense, but Henderson's phenomenal 36.5 defeated block percentage shows he deserves a lot of credit for his abilities to stuff the run as well.

Anthony Henry, CB, Dallas: Terence Newman is a dominant player whose presence would overshadow just about any cornerback in the league. Henry is something of a forgotten man because of this, but his 2007 metrics were quite similar to Newman's. Newman did beat Henry in YPA (6.8 to 6.1), but Henry's success percentage was much higher (46.4 versus 37.9). If Henry can keep up with Newman again in 2008, these two would be able to make a strong argument for possibly being the best NFC cornerback tandem.

Cory Redding, DT, Detroit: It is hard to get an NFC Pro Bowl berth at defensive tackle, because those spots tend to go to the aforementioned Williams duo in Minnesota and/or Tommie Harris. Even so, Redding's 30 defeated run blocks and 32.3 defeated block percentage were both Pro Bowl-caliber numbers. I believe a strong argument could be made that Redding should have taken Harris' Pro Bowl spot (which he vacated because of injury) instead of Darnell Dockett.

Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork, defensive linemen, New England: The Patriots had a lot of strengths last season, but run defense was not one of them. Their 4.4 YPA ranked tied for 26th in that department. However, Warren and Wilfork were certainly not part of the problem, their 3.5 and 3.7 YPAs on point-of-attack runs clearly states. Add those metrics to Warren's 20.6 and Wilfork's 15.5 in defeated block percentage against POA runs, and it shows they are two players New England can rebuild its run defense around.

Roddy White, WR, Atlanta: White's 9.0 YPA on 83 receptions went almost unnoticed in most circles because of the many negative stories in Atlanta last season. His 1,202 receiving yards tied for eighth in the NFL and were more than Torry Holt or T.J. Houshmandzadeh gained. If White put up this level of performance with a revolving door of backup quarterbacks, one can only imagine the kind of numbers he could post with a solid passer in the Falcons' backfield.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)
In order for Roddy White to make up for his first two seasons. He needs to catch at least 30 td's in the next two seasons. He has finally moved up from pathetic loser to scrub. Keep it up roddy, maybe by 2012 you will have made up for 485 dropped passes the first two years of your career.

every receiver drops passes. i dont think tying for 8th in the league is exactly a scrub either.:ermm:

tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)
In order for Roddy White to make up for his first two seasons. He needs to catch at least 30 td's in the next two seasons. He has finally moved up from pathetic loser to scrub. Keep it up roddy, maybe by 2012 you will have made up for 485 dropped passes the first two years of your career.

Lmao, I don't even think we had 485 passing plays in the first two years of his career. :w00t:

tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)
Where were you guys at in 2005 and 2006???? This guy is a scrub. The picture of him loseing game after game after game after game for us by dropping passes that hit him square in the hands is forever etched in my mind. He looked like a ****** out there. Plain and simple. Scrub.

yea so lets focus on the passes he dropped and not on the fact that he CAUGHT 84 passes this year and HAD 1,200 yards. lets not harp on the negatives but look forward to more positives.

bossFALCON (2/20/2008)
tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)
Where were you guys at in 2005 and 2006???? This guy is a scrub. The picture of him loseing game after game after game after game for us by dropping passes that hit him square in the hands is forever etched in my mind. He looked like a ****** out there. Plain and simple. Scrub.

yea so lets focus on the passes he dropped and not on the fact that he CAUGHT 84 passes this year and HAD 1,200 yards. lets not harp on the negatives but look forward to more positives.

oh let me correct myself before i get flamed by trolls. the 83 PASSES HE CAUGHT THIS YEAR and the 1,202 YARDS, the 6 touchdowns, and the 14.5 avg.

zmystico (2/20/2008)
Yeah, he ties for 8th with all this team has gone through this year, and you call him garbage...its crap like that that will keep this team losing, why would a player want to play here if he's gotta hear crap like that from "fans."

Truth hurts dosent it?

I mean its not hard to look good when your fellow reciever is a has been(Horn), a out of shape mess(Crumpler), a rookie(laurent), and ''johnny no-hands''(Jenkins)

reiri (2/20/2008)
zmystico (2/20/2008)
Yeah, he ties for 8th with all this team has gone through this year, and you call him garbage...its crap like that that will keep this team losing, why would a player want to play here if he's gotta hear crap like that from "fans."

Truth hurts dosent it?

I mean its not hard to look good when your fellow reciever is a has been(Horn), a out of shape mess(Crumpler), a rookie(laurent), and ''johnny no-hands''(Jenkins)

Actually it is hard to look good with that cast, when the defense doesn't have to worry about them making a play and they can focus their attention towards one person. ;)

BillyWitchDoctor (2/20/2008)
reiri (2/20/2008)
zmystico (2/20/2008)

Truth hurts dosent it?

Actually it is hard to look good with that cast, when the defense doesn't have to worry about them making a play and they can focus their attention towards one person. ;)

Lol the out of shape mess still posed a threat(he ran over more than a few corners/safeties)

tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)

Look at the pathetic loser "Scrub" that was throwing to him his first two seasons! You'd probably drop 485 passes yourself if you had to stop in your tracks and jump ten feet in the air to catch one of Vick's famous airballs...

Look at the pathetic loser "Scrub" that was throwing to him his first two seasons! You'd probably drop 485 passes yourself if you had to stop in your tracks and jump ten feet in the air to catch one of Vick's famous airballs...

Or reach down below your knees - behind your back - or a ball thrown hard enough to go down the field 60 yards ---- while you are standing 10 feet from him :w00t:

Danishfalcon (2/20/2008)
Nice to see Roddy getting some recognition after his season. After reading the title i thought the writer meant Boley, but Roddy is a nice choice as well. If you can put up 1200 yards with 3 different QB's, a crappy, and injury plagued line, then you're definitely doing something right.

"Tom", it just doesn't bother you at all to be thought of as an idiot, does it?

falconfansince66 (2/20/2008)
tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)

Ever read what you wrote? How the heck does White get his hands on them passes if they were that high over his head let alone being counted as dropped passes?:blink:

BruceReville (2/20/2008)

Or reach down below your knees - behind your back - or a ball thrown hard enough to go down the field 60 yards ---- while you are standing 10 feet from him :w00t:

Or one thrown right into your heads with air up under it with the defender on the ground behind you :w00t:

tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)
lol,so someone cant improve?i gues two seasons define your career...............

signout (2/20/2008)

Ever read what you wrote? How the heck does White get his hands on them passes if they were that high over his head let alone being counted as dropped passes?:blink:

Thanks for pointing that out... :hehe:

Yeah, the 10-20 yard (to the receiver) with about a 60-80 yard 'throw' would take care of that! :w00t:

tom Baldwin (2/20/2008)

It's called the 3rd year breakout. It is a widely known fact that most rookies take 3 years to develop. This has especially been the case with WRs. Ever hear of the sophmore slump? It usually works like this.

Rookie Year: Hits the rookie wall

Sophmore Year: Stinks

3rd Year: Breakout Year

Why waste the time on you, you have always been a troll who acts like he knows more than anyone in the NFL about what goes on in the organization. If Roddy's ability to get YAC and catch passes didn't prove to you he is the real deal, then there is no hope for you.