Dimitroff's Off-season Strategy vs. McKay's

Jerry Maguire

Rich McKay always went into an off-season looking to add free agents in positions of need so that the team's hand wasn't forced into reaching for a player in the draft. This is a sound philosophy, I think, in that you never (in most cases) want to reach for a guy in the draft. However, TD has a different philosophy, which he touched on in the 790 interview.

TD and company give the coaches film of free agent players and draftable players that fit the scheme to do a comparison. What this does is it allows the coaches to decide whether they think the FA will be the better pick up, or whether the team should stay away from that certain position and target a specific player at that position in the draft. I haven't heard of this before, but I think it is absolutely brilliant. Instead of just filling the holes with free agency, it's more of a big picture approach, addressing which holes are better met being filled with free agency, and which "needs" are better filled via the draft.

I think this is what TD means when he says draft for need. Obviously, you will manipulate the draft so that you don't reach, but you still target certain players.

The Cush (2/20/2008)
Rich McKay always went into an off-season looking to add free agents in positions of need so that the team's hand wasn't forced into reaching for a player in the draft. This is a sound philosophy, I think, in that you never (in most cases) want to reach for a guy in the draft. However, TD has a different philosophy, which he touched on in the 790 interview.

TD and company give the coaches film of free agent players and draftable players that fit the scheme to do a comparison. What this does is it allows the coaches to decide whether they think the FA will be the better pick up, or whether the team should stay away from that certain position and target a specific player at that position in the draft. I haven't heard of this before, but I think it is absolutely brilliant. Instead of just filling the holes with free agency, it's more of a big picture approach, addressing which holes are better met being filled with free agency, and which "needs" are better filled via the draft.

I think this is what TD means when he says draft for need. Obviously, you will manipulate the draft so that you don't reach, but you still target certain players.

I like the idea of TD's strategy. I'm not sure about the execution, but I like the idea.

Wait and see, root for the team, hope for the best, that's my plan.

The Cush (2/20/2008)

Makes sense, but it seems like such a method would require excellent grading of prospects on the part of the front office. It would suck to pass on a player in FA who would have filled a need because we liked a player in the draft better, only for that player to be off the board when it's our turn to pick...

BlacksburgHokie (2/20/2008)
The Cush (2/20/2008)

Makes sense, but it seems like such a method would require excellent grading of prospects on the part of the front office. It would suck to pass on a player in FA who would have filled a need because we liked a player in the draft better, only for that player to be off the board when it's our turn to pick...

It will definitely take sound execution.

Rich McKay always went into an off-season looking to add free agents in positions of need so that the team's hand wasn't forced into reaching for a player in the draft.

Problem is that McKay kept signing guys with injury history with the hopes that they will perform here injury-free or with injuries to a minimum -- didn't work out too well did it?

grendel (2/20/2008)
BruceReville (2/20/2008)
Rich McKay always went into an off-season looking to add free agents in positions of need so that the team's hand wasn't forced into reaching for a player in the draft.

Problem is that McKay kept signing guys with injury history with the hopes that they will perform here injury-free or with injuries to a minimum -- didn't work out too well did it?

Not entirely true. Abe had an injury history, but he played well this year. Hartwell hadn't had any serious injuries before getting here, but now I think he's out of the league. It's a very hit and miss inexact science.

I worry about this strategy by TD. I hate to feel that we have to get a certain guy in the draft, because it limits you if someone better is unexpectedly available.

Maybe he has an off season board, so to speak, and ranks everyone available, then has certain plans of action. Or maybe he ranks the free agent position as a whole vs. the same position as a whole in the draft. I'm not sure how he does it, I just know he does player comparisons. This is what New England does as well.

Good thread, Cush. Was great to hear that interview w/TD on 790 that was posted. He seems like he's got plan a, plan b, and plan c for wherever we end up picking. I like that he's considering all of the angles and FA vs. whom we will likely be able to draft. They probably have 2nd & 3rd choices for their candidate in each spot anyway.

What's that saying about if you fail to plan you can plan to fail? Something like that, but he seems to be the complete opposite.