Best Falcons' Mock I've Seen So Far

Brookhaven

This is from the current WalterFootball.com mock. It is pretty long, but if it fell out this way I would be thrilled.

1 Atlanta Falcons: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

2 Atlanta Falcons: Pat Sims, DT, Auburn

2 Atlanta Falcons: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan

3 Atlanta Falcons: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson

4 Atlanta Falcons: Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas

I noticed he had Stewart going to the Cards at pick #16. IF we pull-off the rumored DeAngelo Hall trade for the Cards pick, I could see it going like this:

1 Atlanta Falcons: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (picked by the Cards atr 16 in original mock.)

4 Atlanta Falcons: Beau Bell, MLB, UNLV (picked by Denver right after our pick in the 4th in the original mock)

If trading Hall would enable our draft to end up like the one above, it would be very hard not to consider it. We come out of the draft with probably the best defensive front 7 (d-line & linebackers) in the NFL, and we'd end up with a running back that is the type you can build an offense around.

More info from the Walter site:

1-3 Atlanta Falcons: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Like the Dolphins, the Falcons have tons of options. Let's review them in a similar manner:

Matt Ryan: A lot of mocks in my 2008 NFL Mock Draft Database have Matt Ryan going to the Falcons. Up until a few weeks ago, I believed he would as well. However, in the wake of Chad Henne and several other quarterbacks looking solid in the Senior Bowl, Atlanta could be targeting one of them in the second round. And if someone like Andre' Woodson slips - which is a very realistic possibility right now - the Falcons can trade both of its second-round picks to trade with a team like the Chargers, who have just one selection in the first four rounds.

Furthermore, I don't consider Ryan as good a prospect as Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long or Darren McFadden. Running back, offensive tackle and defensive tackle are positions of need for the Falcons. Why would Atlanta take a slightly lesser talent in that case?

And finally, we've seen teams eschew quarterbacks recently. The Browns drafted Joe Thomas instead of Brady Quinn. The Dolphins also passed on Quinn in favor of Ted Ginn. In prior years, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers both slipped. I don't think Ryan goes here. And if he does, imagine how much he'll struggle without any talent around him. Think David Carr in Houston, Tim Couch in Cleveland, etc.

Darren McFadden: Aside from the fact that Atlanta needs a running back as an upgrade over the mediocre Jerious Norwood and the soon-to-be-retired Warrick Dunn, Darren McFadden arguably happens to be the top prospect in this draft class (though some people on TV would disagree - more on that later). He, above anyone else, including Ryan, can revitalize a morbid offense that scored just 16.2 points per game in 2007. I'm sure Arthur Blank noticed what Adrian Peterson did for the Vikings. I have to believe that he thinks McFadden can do the same for his squad. Now all he needs is a solid offensive line and a color-blind quarterback who throws into triple coverage.

Also, remember, Atlanta fans have become frustrated with the Falcons franchise in the wake of the whole Michael Vick ordeal. I'm not a fan of drafting a player just to fill the seats, but if there were ever a situation to do that, this is it. McFadden would bring Atlantans back into the Georgia Dome more than any other player in this class.

As I mentioned two paragraphs above, Mike Mayock and Tim McShay (or Tim McSteal, as Matt McGuire has dubbed him), have expressed their disdain for McFadden. Mayock went as far to say that he wouldn't touch McFadden with a top-20 selection. I respect Mayock's opinions, but the dude needs to lay off the crack pipe on this one. McFadden is the top runner in this class. Unfortunately, the statements Mayock and McShay have made over the past few days may drop his stock just a bit.

Jake Long: Look at what Joe Thomas did for the Browns this year. Falcons fans might worry about Long becoming another Robert Gallery, but top tackles have almost always panned out. Just look at Thomas (another Big Ten tackle) and D'Brickashaw Ferguson over the past few seasons. Long would be a great addition to Atlanta's roster, but in the wake of the Feb. 15 cuts, the team has another position it must address first...

Sedrick Ellis: Sedrick Ellis would be an outstanding option for the Falcons, as they've desperately needed a nose tackle ever since unceremoniously - and according to several teammates, unjustly - cutting Grady Jackson. Atlanta was 26th against the run, and a monstrous defensive lineman would help the team improve immensely in that category. I wouldn't be shocked if the Falcons took Ellis, but based on what happened Friday, Feb. 15...

Glenn Dorsey: Glenn Dorsey is more of an under tackle than a nose tackle, so I didn't consider him much of an option until Feb. 15. On that day, Rod Coleman was cut, leaving nothing but Jonathan Babineaux at the position. The Falcons can't go into the 2008 season with the former Iowa Hawkeye as a starter. Dorsey, once the consensus No. 1 overall pick in most 2008 mocks, will go here.

Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (our pick if we trade Hall to Cards.)

Edgerrin James totaled more than 1,200 rushing yards this year, but he's turning 30 in August. How much longer can he possibly hold up? The Cardinals need a young back to take his place soon.

Jonathan Stewart's not some ordinary "young back." Despite having the ability to pummel defenders with his 230-pound frame, Stewart runs a 4.4 and can also catch the ball out of the backfield. The Cardinals could would take a huge step toward finally making the playoffs with Stewart running behind Levi Brown.

Atlanta Falcons: Pat Sims, DT, Auburn

A middle linebacker or an offensive tackle are options, but what the Falcons must do is clear - they have to find Grady Jackson's replacement at the nose tackle position. Pat Sims is a major steal in the early stages of Round 2. If Sims and Glenn Dorsey both pan out, Atlanta will have one of the best defensive lines in all of football.

Atlanta Falcons: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan

Chad Henne showing off in the Senior Bowl allows the Falcons to draft Darren McFadden without worrying about not having a second-tier quarterback to choose from with one of their Round 2 selections. Even if Henne doesn't become the greatest signal caller in the world, he can't possibly be worse than what Atlanta had at the position at the end of the year.

Atlanta Falcons: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson

Atlanta surrendered 47 sacks this year. This just in - that's not good. That needs to change if they want to protect the quarterback they draft in the first two rounds.

Atlanta Falcons: Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas (original pick)

I considered Heath Benedict and Beau Bell here, but with Warrick Dunn nearing retirement, the Falcons will need another running back to complement the mediocre Jerious Norwood. Jamaal Charles is a steal in Round 4, thanks to how deep this draft class is.

Denver Broncos: Beau Bell, MLB, UNLV (new pick if we draft Stewart in mid 1st.)

Beau Bell will be able to play in the middle of Denver's defense, allowing D.J. Williams to move back outside to his natural position.

Brookhaven (2/20/2008)
This is from the current WalterFootball.com mock. It is pretty long, but if it fell out this way I would be thrilled.

4 Atlanta Falcons: Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas

I noticed he had Stewart going to the Cards at pick #16. IF we pull-off the rumored DeAngelo Hall trade for the Cards pick, I could see it going like this:

1 Atlanta Falcons: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (picked by the Cards atr 16 in original mock.)

4 Atlanta Falcons: Beau Bell, MLB, UNLV (picked by Denver right after our pick in the 4th in the original mock)

If trading Hall would enable our draft to end up like the one above, it would be very hard not to consider it. We come out of the draft with probably the best defensive front 7 (d-line & linebackers) in the NFL, and we'd end up with a running back that is the type you can build an offense around.

More info from the Walter site:

1-3 Atlanta Falcons: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Like the Dolphins, the Falcons have tons of options. Let's review them in a similar manner:

Matt Ryan: A lot of mocks in my 2008 NFL Mock Draft Database have Matt Ryan going to the Falcons. Up until a few weeks ago, I believed he would as well. However, in the wake of Chad Henne and several other quarterbacks looking solid in the Senior Bowl, Atlanta could be targeting one of them in the second round. And if someone like Andre' Woodson slips - which is a very realistic possibility right now - the Falcons can trade both of its second-round picks to trade with a team like the Chargers, who have just one selection in the first four rounds.

Furthermore, I don't consider Ryan as good a prospect as Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long or Darren McFadden. Running back, offensive tackle and defensive tackle are positions of need for the Falcons. Why would Atlanta take a slightly lesser talent in that case?

And finally, we've seen teams eschew quarterbacks recently. The Browns drafted Joe Thomas instead of Brady Quinn. The Dolphins also passed on Quinn in favor of Ted Ginn. In prior years, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers both slipped. I don't think Ryan goes here. And if he does, imagine how much he'll struggle without any talent around him. Think David Carr in Houston, Tim Couch in Cleveland, etc.

Darren McFadden: Aside from the fact that Atlanta needs a running back as an upgrade over the mediocre Jerious Norwood and the soon-to-be-retired Warrick Dunn, Darren McFadden arguably happens to be the top prospect in this draft class (though some people on TV would disagree - more on that later). He, above anyone else, including Ryan, can revitalize a morbid offense that scored just 16.2 points per game in 2007. I'm sure Arthur Blank noticed what Adrian Peterson did for the Vikings. I have to believe that he thinks McFadden can do the same for his squad. Now all he needs is a solid offensive line and a color-blind quarterback who throws into triple coverage.

Also, remember, Atlanta fans have become frustrated with the Falcons franchise in the wake of the whole Michael Vick ordeal. I'm not a fan of drafting a player just to fill the seats, but if there were ever a situation to do that, this is it. McFadden would bring Atlantans back into the Georgia Dome more than any other player in this class.

As I mentioned two paragraphs above, Mike Mayock and Tim McShay (or Tim McSteal, as Matt McGuire has dubbed him), have expressed their disdain for McFadden. Mayock went as far to say that he wouldn't touch McFadden with a top-20 selection. I respect Mayock's opinions, but the dude needs to lay off the crack pipe on this one. McFadden is the top runner in this class. Unfortunately, the statements Mayock and McShay have made over the past few days may drop his stock just a bit.

Jake Long: Look at what Joe Thomas did for the Browns this year. Falcons fans might worry about Long becoming another Robert Gallery, but top tackles have almost always panned out. Just look at Thomas (another Big Ten tackle) and D'Brickashaw Ferguson over the past few seasons. Long would be a great addition to Atlanta's roster, but in the wake of the Feb. 15 cuts, the team has another position it must address first...

Sedrick Ellis: Sedrick Ellis would be an outstanding option for the Falcons, as they've desperately needed a nose tackle ever since unceremoniously - and according to several teammates, unjustly - cutting Grady Jackson. Atlanta was 26th against the run, and a monstrous defensive lineman would help the team improve immensely in that category. I wouldn't be shocked if the Falcons took Ellis, but based on what happened Friday, Feb. 15...

Glenn Dorsey: Glenn Dorsey is more of an under tackle than a nose tackle, so I didn't consider him much of an option until Feb. 15. On that day, Rod Coleman was cut, leaving nothing but Jonathan Babineaux at the position. The Falcons can't go into the 2008 season with the former Iowa Hawkeye as a starter. Dorsey, once the consensus No. 1 overall pick in most 2008 mocks, will go here.

Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (our pick if we trade Hall to Cards.)

Edgerrin James totaled more than 1,200 rushing yards this year, but he's turning 30 in August. How much longer can he possibly hold up? The Cardinals need a young back to take his place soon.

Jonathan Stewart's not some ordinary "young back." Despite having the ability to pummel defenders with his 230-pound frame, Stewart runs a 4.4 and can also catch the ball out of the backfield. The Cardinals could would take a huge step toward finally making the playoffs with Stewart running behind Levi Brown.

Atlanta Falcons: Pat Sims, DT, Auburn

A middle linebacker or an offensive tackle are options, but what the Falcons must do is clear - they have to find Grady Jackson's replacement at the nose tackle position. Pat Sims is a major steal in the early stages of Round 2. If Sims and Glenn Dorsey both pan out, Atlanta will have one of the best defensive lines in all of football.

Atlanta Falcons: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan

Chad Henne showing off in the Senior Bowl allows the Falcons to draft Darren McFadden without worrying about not having a second-tier quarterback to choose from with one of their Round 2 selections. Even if Henne doesn't become the greatest signal caller in the world, he can't possibly be worse than what Atlanta had at the position at the end of the year.

Atlanta Falcons: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson

Atlanta surrendered 47 sacks this year. This just in - that's not good. That needs to change if they want to protect the quarterback they draft in the first two rounds.

Atlanta Falcons: Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas (original pick)

I considered Heath Benedict and Beau Bell here, but with Warrick Dunn nearing retirement, the Falcons will need another running back to complement the mediocre Jerious Norwood. Jamaal Charles is a steal in Round 4, thanks to how deep this draft class is.

Denver Broncos: Beau Bell, MLB, UNLV (new pick if we draft Stewart in mid 1st.)

Beau Bell will be able to play in the middle of Denver's defense, allowing D.J. Williams to move back outside to his natural position.

i havent heard any rumors of hall being traded to the cards for there first rounder.

papikaika (2/20/2008)
If we do make a trade with someone for DeAngelo Hall, we need a veteran cornerback to replace him.

Possibly Brian Kelly (knows the Cover 2) or Drayton Florence. Maybe even Terry Cousin?

With that type of front 7, our need to have a great defensive backfield goes down.

A great front 7 can cover for a lot of problems in the defensive backfield, but a great defensive backfield can almost never cover for problems with the front 7.

Dan - did you REALLY have to copy that whole thing to add one damned line that no one cares about?

Seriously, people...

As for the topic, I like the draft, but I think we need to get an offensive tackle earlier than that. It's not a position we can put off anymore, especially with Gandy gone and Weiner coming off of a major injury. We don't really have anyone else who can play left tackle on the roster at the moment.

Direwolf

This is the BEST mock scenerio that I have seen. I would LOVE for the Falcons to draft Jonathan Stewart. I wouldn't mind the Falcons drafting the best corner available instead of Henne in the 2nd. Drayton Florence would be a good replacement for Hall for a season until the rookie is ready to play. I would draft Paul Smith from Tulsa as my QB of the future later in the draft!

I don't know that I like the mock (I am going to ignore the 2nd one involving the trade because it is highly unlikely), and it is so far from the best I have seen it isn't even funny.

Why do we need to spend the 1st two picks on the DL? I know the game is won in the trenches, but we have far more holes on the OL than on the DL, and we spent a 1st, a 2nd, and traded away a 1st for player already on the DL in the past 3 years, so I don't think we need anymore. I don't have a problem with either Ellis/Dorey in the 1st, so long as we draft an OT in the 2nd.

And Barry Richardson's stock is in free-fall, a 3rd would be almost too high for him.