When and where did Coach Smith say we will run a cover 2 zone?

birdonawire

So why would he make such a big change and nulllify the talents in the secondary. Was this ever said or was this just some guesstimation on the part of many on this board? Going to a cover 2 would be simply "stupid". If you coach to the strength of your players the defense will not be a cover 2, a 4-3 with several variation but not a cover 2. Some people believe Jax ran a cover 2 because that is what coach Smith wanted, no, it was because he did not have they type of corners Hall, Houston. Irons and Williams are, better suited for man.

i would completely disagree with that... i think D Hall is def suited for zone... if you watch him all his interceptions usually come in zone coverage... and he has a problem with the intermediate routes man to man.... now houston and irons... i dont think we can say they are suited for man to man yet... think thats a little premature especially the way houston got burned last year... we'll see if he can turn it around

Every team in the NFL runs the Cover 2 to some extent, we ran a Cover 2 scheme sometimes last year as well. Indy, Tampa, and a few other teams run what is known as the Tampa 2. Jacksonville did not run the Tampa 2, which places little emphasis on the CBs. Smith did run man to man schemes in Jacksonville, I watched some of it myself. Smith has also clearly stated you take advantage of the talentyou have and build to it's strengths. To suggest we will run a pure base Cover 2 system this year is rediculous and counterproductive.

The Falcon Ace (2/21/2008)
Every team in the NFL runs the Cover 2 to some extent, we ran a Cover 2 scheme sometimes last year as well. Indy, Tampa, and a few other teams run what is known as the Tampa 2. Jacksonville did not run the Tampa 2, which places little emphasis on the CBs. Smith did run man to man schemes in Jacksonville, I watched some of it myself. Smith has also clearly stated you take advantage of the talentyou have and build to it's strengths. To suggest we will run a pure base Cover 2 system this year is rediculous and counterproductive.

This is the very reason I can't understand all this trade Hall talk.

Thank you. you said exactly what i was thinking.

this needs to be stickied