Thank you Mike Mayock!

etherdome

I have the day off today. I worked most of the night. Anyways, I am vegging in front of the TV, watching NFL Network. They are starting to ramp up for the draft. Mike Mayock is interviewed and he gives his run down of this year's DB's. This is what woke me up fast:

He says that he doesn't rate any Safeties, in this draft, in the first round! He believes that Morgan and Phillips belong in the early second round but both could get taken late in the first round. What?!

WOW! If we draft Kenny Phillips in the second round, it would have to be considered one of the best (if not the best) draft pick in Falcon history. I have seen Phillips play. I know who he had around him. I know what his coaches think of him. I know that he was responsible for the entire secondary. I know that he is a dedicated student of the game. I know that he can cover like a CB. I know that his coaches feel that he is as good as Ed Reed.

I respect Mayock, but this is one prospect that he is dead wrong about. My sincerest hope is that the rest of the league sees Phillips the same way that Mayock does.

Can you imagine us signing Corey Williams in free agency, drafting an OT like Long or Clady in the first and then drafting a FS like Phillips in the second? WOW! Talk about a major off season coup.

Wow, wow, wow, I really needed that kind of juice. I am ready to get up and "plow the back 40."

Between now and draft day keep in mind that guys like Mayock RATE players on ability. They talk about where they rank in drafting terms, but that is NOT where they get taken or are expected to be drafted. (example- McFadden not high on his board, bt expected to be drafted higher) As April comes closer the line between the two becomes closer. Guys like Rick Gosselin around a week or 2 before the draft tell you who takes who with pretty good accuracy (generally because the GM's tell him in round about terms)

with the exception of the last 2 years, it was very common for the top S to go late one or even round 2. Brodney Pool was the top safety taken 3 years ago by CLE in round 2.

I dont think Phillips will be as highly regarded as guys like Landry, Huff, Reed when they went round 1. When people look at film, they are going to see an inconsistant Jr season from Phillips.

I would love to get him in round 2 though, especially for the cover 2 scheme.

1989fan (2/20/2008)
with the exception of the last 2 years, it was very common for the top S to go late one or even round 2. Brodney Pool was the top safety taken 3 years ago by CLE in round 2.

I dont think Phillips will be as highly regarded as guys like Landry, Huff, Reed when they went round 1. When people look at film, they are going to see an inconsistant Jr season from Phillips.

I would love to get him in round 2 though, especially for the cover 2 scheme.

Phillips looked like he played by himself in Miami's secondary. He developed some bad habits, like jumping routes too often. He only did so because he could not count on anyone else to make a play.

Phillips is top quality and would an enormous addition to our new Defense.

Remember: We want to be strong up the middle.

raidanation (2/21/2008)
Phillips will not drop past pick #15.Also, C.Williams(GB) has been tagged so he won't be going anywhere.He was one FA I would have liked Oakland to go after.

raida,

i was just getting ready to post this - Corey Williams is gone, Albert Haynesworth is gone, Stacy Andrews is gone, Nmandi Ashoumanda(sp?) gone, Karlos Dansby gone, Jordan Gross gone, Dallas Clark gone, etc., etc.

man, there is not going to be any marquee players left and the ones that are(Michael Turner) are going to get huge dollars!!!!

Falcons will be fortunate to get one decent offensive lineman and defensive lineman in free agency....

g-dawg (2/21/2008)
raidanation (2/21/2008)
Phillips will not drop past pick #15.Also, C.Williams(GB) has been tagged so he won't be going anywhere.He was one FA I would have liked Oakland to go after.

i was just getting ready to post this - Corey Williams is gone, Albert Haynesworth is gone, Stacy Andrews is gone, Nmandi Ashoumanda(sp?) gone, Karlos Dansby gone, Jordan Gross gone, Dallas Clark gone, etc., etc.

man, there is not going to be any marquee players left and the ones that are(Michael Turner) are going to get huge dollars!!!!

Falcons will be fortunate to get one decent offensive lineman and defensive lineman in free agency....

Alge is looking like the best FA guy out there. He is going to make a mint. I am happy for him.

Don't expect a big splash in FA. I am guessing that we will go after Maurice Williams to cover OG and OT for us. We might go after a FS like Hamlin, but that is debatable.

bgarcia28 (2/21/2008)
g-dawg (2/21/2008)
raidanation (2/21/2008)

Alge is looking like the best FA guy out there. He is going to make a mint. I am happy for him.

Don't expect a big splash in FA. I am guessing that we will go after Maurice Williams to cover OG and OT for us. We might go after a FS like Hamlin, but that is debatable.

I would be good with Mo Williams and Ken Hamlin at reasonable deals....

scott24falcs (2/20/2008)
To add to this, Mayock says Brandon Flowers is the most physical CB he has seen in over 5 years.

The thing to consider if we draft a corner to replace Hall is that Houston is the strongest corner in the history of the combine. Flowers and him on the sides would create some fascinating match-ups for opposing receivers. The ones who shun contact would hate to play the Falcons.

Flowers is a good CB, but wasn't he the one with the pictures?

Anyways, I think our best bet (assuming we trade Hall), would be to draft a guy like Chevis Jackson from LSU. I don't know what the trade value for Hall would be, but I would LOVE it if a team like Miami would be willing to give up their first pick in the 2nd round and maybe an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2009.

We could be looking at a draft like this:

1. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

2. (from Miami) - Sam Baker, OT, USC

2. Joe Flacco/Chad Henne

2. (from Houston) - Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee

3. Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

3. (Kerney comp.) - Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State

4. Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU

I don't know about you guys, but a draft like this would be ridiculously great for us IMO.

scott24falcs (2/21/2008)
Flowers is a good CB, but wasn't he the one with the pictures?

Yes. That makes me question not only his character but also his intelligence.

With the change in the team's structure, I'm not sure if the Falcon Filter is still in place. Given Hall's occasional issues and Williams being a bust, we might have soured on VT DBs anyway.