Falcons best years: 1998 lost Super Bowl, 1980 lost Divisional playoff, 2004 lost NFCCG

gazoo

***please keep in mind when readinjg this that I loved the on field play of Bartkowski, Chandler and Vick......all 3 of these QB's took this franchise to places we should all cherish as long time Falcon fans.....they were ALL GOOD QB's and I have great memories of all of their play of the field. That said..........

The following starting lineups represent the Falcons 3 best seasons in our history. In 1980 Bart took us to the divisional playoffs where we lost to the Cowboys, in 2004 Vick took us to the NFCCG, and i 1998 Chandler took us to the Super Bowl.

Chnadler took us the furthest in post season play, Vick took us to one game short of the SB and Bartkowski was able to get us within 2 games of the Super Bowl.

Bartkowskis 1980 OFFENSE

WR 89 Wallace Francis (a very solid #2 WR)

WR 84 Alfred Jenkins ALL PRO WR

LT 78 Mike Kenn ALL PRO LT

C 57 Jeff Van Note ALL PRO C

RG 68 R.C. Thielemann ALL PRO OG

RT 66 Warren Bryant (6th pick of the entire 1977 draft, was MASSIVE for his era at 6'8" 275lbs)

TE 80 Junior Miller PRO BOWLER

LG 70 Dave Scott (solid 3rd round pick)

FB 31 William Andrews 4 PRO BOWLS (one of first NFL players to rush for 2000 yards 2 seasons in a row

HB 21 Lynn Cain (an excellent complement to Andrews )

CHIS CHANDLERS 1998 SUPER BOWL OFFENSE

WR 80 Tony Martin

LT 70 Bob Whitfield (Pro Bowler)

LG 68 Calvin Collins (solid)

C 61 Robbie Tobeck (Pro Bowler)

RG 69 Gene Williams (solid)

RT 74 Ephraim Salaam (very good RT)

TE 88 O.J. Santiago

WR 81 Terance Mathis

QB 12 Chris Chandler

RB 44 Bob Christian

RB 28 Jamal Anderson

MICHAEL VICK'S 2004 OFFENSE

WR 89 Dez White

LT 76 Kevin Shaffer (awful)

LG 63 Roberto Garza (mediocre)

C 62 Todd McClure (solid)

RG 65 Kynan Forney (solid)

RT 74 Todd Weiner (solid)

TE 83 Alge Crumpler

WR 81 Peerless Price

RB 28 Warrick Dunn

FB 33 Justin Griffith

Please rate in order from best to worst which QB had the best WR tandemn, which QB had the best running game support (would include blocking and the RB, HB, FB's) which QB had the best pass protection and which QB had the best TE.

I'll start:

WR TANDEMNS

Chris Chandler had the #1 WR tandemn with all pro #1 WR Tony Martin and Pro Bowler Terrance Mathis, Bartkkowski had the #2 ranked WR tandemn with all pro #1 WR Alfred Jenkins and Wallace Francis, Vick had BY FAR the worst WR tandem with Dez White and Peerles Price never doing anything as a #1 WR in the NFL (although as a #2 WR playing with Eric Moulds he did make Pro Bowl once.

RUNNING GAME SUPPORT

Bartkowski had the #1 ranked running game with 3 all pro OL blocking for William Andrews, who by himslef rushed for over 2000 yards in 1980. Chris Chandler is a very close #2 running game for the Super Bowl team (only becuase his OL wasn;t as good as Barts, and Vick's running game (minus his own production) was a distant #3 to both Barts and Chandlers. We saw this year how bad our running game really was minus Vick.

PASS PROTECTION

Batkowski had the #1 ranked unit with 3 all pro OL, as well as the talanted and massive RT 7th pick in the 1977 draft blocking for him. Mike Kenn, Jeff Van Note, RC Thielman were all pros and excellent pass prtotectors. Chris Chandler had the #2 ranked unit with 2 Pro Bowles and solid blue collar unit of blockers and Vick had the #3 unit of pass protectors with no elite players and a pathetic LT in Kevin Shaffer. that allowed unbelievable pressure all season)

TE's

Vick had the very best TE in Alge Crumpler, Bartkowski had the #2 ranked with Pro Bolwer Junior Miller and Chandler had the worst with OJ Santiogo.

RESULTS

Bart had best OL and best Running game (mostly because of that OL)

Chandler had the best WR tandemn

Vick had best TE

Also, when looking at the defenses, no question Chandler had the best defense of any of them. I would suggest that it was Chandler had the most balanced roster of any of them and that's why he was able to advance further than Vick and Bart. Vickwas able to take the franchise to it's second best season behind Chandlers in 2004 with a solid defense and subpar supporting cast on offense and Bartkowski had a decent defense and a stud offensive roster that he was able to take us to the 3rd best season in Falcon history.

again, all 3 of these QB's were great players for us and all deserve their credit for these 3 seasons of 1980, 1998 and 2004.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't seem to edit the post, bit I needed to point out that Chandler had a bunch more Pro Bowlers on his offensive roster at the skill positions in Jammal Anderson, Tony Martin, Terrance Mathis, as well as Bob Christain. Vick also had a pro bowler in Alge, Warrick and I believe Peerless made the pro bowl one year as the #2 WR playing across from the exceptionally talented all pro Eric Moulds.

If you look at the other side of the coin, the holes in the rosters, you see that Vick's clearly had the most holes with major weaknesses on the OL, at WR, and in pass protection (Garza and Shaffer were dreadful in pass protection and Forney not much better)

Same Ol Falcons (2/20/2008)
Honestly who has this much time on their hands

and how many times are you goin to post these opinions as fact

Jeeeez :doze:

I hate to burst your bubble, but making all pro as an NFL player has NOTHING to do with MY opinion.....making all pro is a fact , not an opinion. Te opinions I did provide have been backed up with the facts. For instance, Tony Marin and Alfred Jenkins were two all pro *#1* WR's, Price was a failure as #1 WR....why is thuis so hard to admit?

Please stop the insanity, if you dont like the facts I presented, just move on, you don;t have to comment at all.

Alfred Jenkins was All-Pro in '81 not '80 so I 'm not moving on any further with your twisted logic

it is very much appreciated that you are choosing to move on. Your willingness to discuss this topic and the analysis is clearly not there, so I would prefer to discuss it with those that appreciated the effort I went through to put togther the 3 best years we've had as a franchise and provide a positional breakdown of the players on each ofensive rosters.

This thread is bringing up the 3 best years of our franchise, why would anyone not enjoy discussing something lie this in the offseason, especially after the terrbile season we just had?

gazoo (2/20/2008)
Alfred Jenkins was All-Pro in '81 not '80 so I 'm not moving on any further with your twisted logic

it is very much appreciated that you are choosing to move on. Your willingness to discuss this topic and the analysis is clearly not there, so I would prefer to discuss it with those that appreciated the effort I went through to put togther the 3 best years we've had as a franchise and provide a positional breakdown of the players on each ofensive rosters.

This thread is bringing up the 3 best years of our franchise, why would anyone not enjoy discussing something lie this in the offseason, especially after the terrbile season we just had?

But it is inaccurate - 1) Jenkins was not All-Pro in '80 2) you forgot to put (PRO-BOWL) by Crumpler

Spin round round like a record player

formul8or (2/20/2008)
A very good breakdown. I don't know enough about the Bartkowski era to comment and I was still too young during '98 to remember well.

Thanks formul8tor!

You guys can see that I was anable to edit my original post that Warrick Dunn, Peerless Price and Alge were aslo all Pro Bowl players. Although Peerless wasn't a Pro Bowler here in Atlanta, he was still a pro bowl player and that needs to be on the initial post. I am not sure if Robbie Tobeck made the pro bowl here in Atlanta or elswhere, but nonetheless, he is still a pro bowl player.

CHIS CHANDLERS 1998 SUPER BOWL OFFENSE

WR 80 Tony Martin

LT 70 Bob Whitfield (Pro Bowler)

LG 68 Calvin Collins (solid)

C 61 Robbie Tobeck (Pro Bowler)

RG 69 Gene Williams (solid)

RT 74 Ephraim Salaam (very good RT)<---------------LMFAOOOOO

TE 88 O.J. Santiago

WR 81 Terance Mathis

QB 12 Chris Chandler

RB 44 Bob Christian

RB 28 Jamal Anderson

MICHAEL VICK'S 2004 OFFENSE

WR 89 Dez White

LT 76 Kevin Shaffer (awful)

LG 63 Roberto Garza (mediocre)

C 62 Todd McClure (solid)

RG 65 Kynan Forney (solid)

RT 74 Todd Weiner (solid)

TE 83 Alge Crumpler(pro bowler -All Pro Team

WR 81 Peerless Price

RB 28 Warrick Dunn3 time pro bowler

FB 33 Justin Griffith

swiftkick (2/20/2008)
Chris Chandler only QB to lead us to a Super Bowl with a bum knee...What a drive probably the best drive in Falcons history in that 98' Championship game..That takes heart ..

It was a great drive in the history of our franchise, and that FG kick was the biggest kick in our franchise since it got us to the Super Bowl. How could anyone not love discussing these 3 best games in our history?

Chandler took us the furthest with is supporting cast and the best defensive squad of the 3. Vick took us second furthest with a #16th ranked defense and an offensive roster full of holes, and Bart took us the 3rd furthest with a stud offensive lineup, and decent defense.

These 3 games are fun to discuss!

gazoo (2/20/2008)

But it is inaccurate - 1) Jenkins was not All-Pro in '80 2) you forgot to put (PRO-BOWL) by Crumpler

Spin round round like a record player

Chandler will never get the credit he deserves for his time in Atlanta and Houston, and rightfully so. He was injured every time the wind changed direction. If he had been able to remain healthy, he would have put up solid numbers on pretty bad teams.

swifty, Perrless Price was also a Pro Bowler, as was Terrence Mathis, Bob Christian, Tony Martin and Jamal Anderson. Unfortunately, the original post will not let me edit it ofr some reason.

btw...Salaam came very close to making the Pro Bowl more than once, he played very god football some years, and had a great year when he was here. He had some bad years as well.

goatehall (2/20/2008)
Chris Chandler only QB to lead us to a Super Bowl with a bum knee...What a drive probably the best drive in Falcons history in that 98' Championship game..That takes heart ..

Then he threw 3ints in the SB. Jamal Played going in the SB though.

True that Chandler had a rough game, but I do not hand that all on him. For one thing we had the Eugene Robinson fiasco that had many players up all night long and playing that game with no sleep at all, and for another the Denver team was far more talented than us that year.

Chandler did have an excellent running game, 2 pro bowl WR's and the best defense of any of those 3 seasons backing him up though.

What a great discussion folks!

I know what the 80 tam was about, I was still a new yorker and new to football. The city was buzzing at that time. It would be the last time the city buzzed like that until we moved into the dome and wore black. Oh did I forget the twelve days of christmas with the falcons. lol

98 was the year. 14-2. We steam rolled over our 49 nemesis after taking a beat down from them. We molested teams in 98. We upset the fan favorite to win it all that year in their house. I saw Atlanta natives stopping at red lights getting out of their cars doing the dirty bird. We meant something. We weren't respected then a horny azz Eugene Robinson got busted. ****.

Vick's year was magical. He went back to Minnesota for the first time after we beat them in 98 and made a highlight film. We took it to Bret Farve in their house. Still not respected, we had a wonderful year with alot to grow on.

Then the preseason and the injury.

So is the plight of my team.

rev_hal

Chandler will never get the credit he deserves for his time in Atlanta and Houston, and rightfully so. He was injured every time the wind changed direction. If he had been able to remain healthy, he would have put up solid numbers on pretty bad teams.

For me, Chandlers problems went past injury. He seemed to be down a lot and play lackluster at times while he was here. In 1998 he played inspired all year, but his run overall had some times I questioned how inspired he was on game days.

swifty, Perrless Price was also a Pro Bowler, as was Terrence Mathis, Bob Christian, Tony Martin and Jamal Anderson. Unfortunately, the original post will not let me edit it ofr some reason.

btw...Salaam came very close to making the Pro Bowl more than once, he played very god football some years, and had a great year when he was here. He had some bad years as well.

Peerless Price was a pro bowl once in buffalo, Never in Atlanta, Dallas, or back in Buffalo or anywhere with out Eric Moulds

gazoo (2/20/2008)
rev_hal

For me, Chandlers problems went past injury. He seemed to be down a lot and play lackluster at times while he was here. In 1998 he played inspired all year, but his run overall had some times I questioned how inspired he was on game days.

It's imposible to climb inside a guy's head to know this stuff, but he was constantly playing with nagging injuries back to his early days with the Oilers. That might have had an impact on his overall play.

Hey Gaz, why don't you compare the West division that Bart played in with Walsh & Montana and some really good Rams teams with the NFC south?

Why don't you compare the rules that protect the QB and WR today compared to the ones Bart played in?

Why don't you get over your mancrush while you are at it?

Maybe those other players were better because Bart made them better. Maybe a WR is better when a better QB is throwing them the ball? Great players make those around them better. In your own admission,apparently Mike made no one better. Good stuff.

gazoo (2/20/2008)

least that was respectful and I agree

and now we can talk like human beings instead of insulting each other all the time

as for Salaam he was what a 7th round draft pick that we moved to Denver..He had a decent career and made a name for himself outside of football but he was not a great tackle in my opinion and ..I would put him on the same level as Weiner