Only My second Mock draft, four rounds

1. Sedrick Ellis, DT USC: Not much more the break down here really. Our biggest team needs right now in order are defensive tackle, left offensive tackle and quarterback. Based on Smith and Dimitroff's philosiphies of being strong up the middle and drafting for need I believe that Ellis, Dorsey or Jake Long will be our pick. Dorsey was off the board at two to the Rams in my mock, and I think that there is a much larger dropoff between the top-20 DT's to second round DT's than there is between top-20 OT's and second round OT's. If Ellis and Dorsey are both still on the board here I think that we are really faced with a tough decision.

2a. Sam Baker, OT USC- Again, I am basing this on our biggest needs and TD and Coach Smith statements about being strong up the middle. Baker was the top OT on the board in my mock at this point, and I think that this is a great value pick. Baker is good is pass protection and he has solid technique, but I think that some time with a compitent OL coach and some time in an NFL weight room will do Baker no end of good in terms of becoming an elite LT. I believe that Sam Baker projects better as a LT prospect than does Jake Long...Though Ryan Clady and Chris Williams are my top rated LT prospects as of right now. If Brian Brohm is still on the board then we take him as fast as we can.

2b. Joe Flacco, QB Delaware- This adresses our third need, and there aren't many Quarterbacks left in the draft at this point whom I believe have what it takes to be solid starters in the NFL. Sure, there are guys with potential but many either have physical or mental issues that, IMO, will keep them from reaching that plateau. I should note that Chad Henne is off of the board at this point in my mock.

Joe Flacco is someone that I like as a prospect, but I think he has several question marks still, even though he had a solid senior bowl week. He is a lot like Matt Ryan in that he can be reckless with the ball at times. His stats are not that impressive, and he even played in Div 1AA. I have heard nothing that suggests to me that he could lead a team under pressure, however, like wise I have not heard anything that suggests that he can not. Flacco's arm strength is a big plus because according to our OC, we will be running a play action/deep ball offense. Flacco is also a little bit more mobile than people tend to give him credit for.

Andre Woodson is another guy that is a possibility here. I like Woodson, but he would need some serious coaching before he could be ready to step in and start. Both he and Flacco have a ton of potential, though, and I could get excited if we picked either one. Henne is the guy that I like here, but I feel that his stock is rising and based on my research, he has a shot of going in the first round now. Personally, I will keep my fingers crossed that Brian Brohm will somehow slip to us in the second.

3a. Vince Hall, ILB Virginia Tech: A guy that I like a lot, and a vastly underrated player. Hall needs to add some muscle mass and bulk, but if he does he will be a monster. Hall has great instincts and he is a hard worker. He also has great intagibles and if he develops well and starts for our team, he will quickly become a leader of our defense. Hall reminds me a lot of Patrick Willis, actually, except that Willis was stronger and faster, and therefore more NFL ready. The thing that I like most about Hall is that he has great work ethic, and I believe that because of that he will do everything he has to do to earn the starting spot and succeed.

3b. Matt Forte, RB Tulane: This is a great value pick, and I think that with the power running game that we are going to put in place next year, Forte will be perfect. He doesn't have a lot of speed, and he won't make many people miss...but that is ok because he is a MACK truck of a runnng back and he will simple plow anyone in his way. Forte wil be here to compliment Norwood, and they would begin to split time. Forte is also a good pass blocker, which Norwood is not, and Forte and Norwood both have good hands, so that is a plus...especially with a young quarterback who will be often looking for his checkdowns.

I have been reading that Forte might end up being a tweener guy in the NFL, and I think that instead of shying away from him we should draft him and use that to our advantage. His ability to block and catch could be refined and he could be come a kind of hybrid H-back, a TE/FB/HB situational guy, kind of like Naane in San Diego.

4. Wesley Woodyard, SS/WLB Kentucky: Woodyard was a good linebacker in college but he is not rated high as an NFL prospect because of his size, and people view him as more of a SS type prospect, and I think that picking him in the fourth to play SS would be benifitial because we would have time to groom him into a solid player for a year or two behind Milloy. Milloy and Woodyard have similar playing styles because they are both solid hitters and wrap-up tacklers. The biggest and best difference is that Woodyard is good in space and he has the awareness to make plays in coverage. Woodyards unofficial 40 time (pre-combine) is 4.50, which is fast enough for a S. He would need some coaching and mentoring, but if he applies himself then we would be set at SS for 4-10 years.

Thank you in advance for any feedback. I would love to discuess my picks. Please remember that this is pre-combine/FA so it is certainly subject to significant change.

Legion (2/19/2008)
I love the mock, awesome with the Woodyard pick. I love tweeners.

I firmly believe that talented skill guys who are very position-specific should be taken only in the top three rounds, with some exceptions with fallers in the fourth. in rounds four through seven there really is potential to find great utility guys, as these players often lose value because they lack a position that they are elite at. I guess, in a nutshell I am saying that instead of looking for hit or miss guys in later rounds, we should really be looking for utility guys who have potential to be useful role-players on offense and defense. Look at Naane in SD, or someone like Justin Tuck or even Tyson Clabo. Guys like that are the unsung hero's of championship organizations.

I hope that makes sense. When it comes to draft talk I tend to get lost on tangents. :P

totalbirdbrain (2/19/2008)
Joshua, The only question I'd have is Vince Hall with your early 3rd round pick. I'll be anxious to see if and how he runs at the Combine and at the Virginia Tech workouts

TBB, I absolutely agree with you. Hall is kind of iffy, even for me, that high. Right now I am assuming that he remains fairly neutral at the combine. If we have to option to pick him up with our second third rounder, or maybe even our first fourth round, then he becomes an outstanding value pick. Even if he lacks elite speed, his football smarts and intensity will make him a good pick at that point.

On the contrairy, if he runs too well at the combine and if he shows that he can effectively turn his hips and shift around in coverage, then his stock could soar all of the way up into the second round. This remains unlikely, but if that does happen, I believe that with our first three picks we need to solidify DT, LT and QB. Beau Bell is an option in the third, also. I do believe that we need to pick a true inside linebacker in this years draft, but I do not see enough elite prospects at that position this year to justify taking one before round three.

Joshua Affonso (2/19/2008)
Legion (2/19/2008)

I firmly believe that talented skill guys who are very position-specific should be taken only in the top three rounds, with some exceptions with fallers in the fourth. in rounds four through seven there really is potential to find great utility guys, as these players often lose value because they lack a position that they are elite at. I guess, in a nutshell I am saying that instead of looking for hit or miss guys in later rounds, we should really be looking for utility guys who have potential to be useful role-players on offense and defense. Look at Naane in SD, or someone like Justin Tuck or even Tyson Clabo. Guys like that are the unsung hero's of championship organizations.

I hope that makes sense. When it comes to draft talk I tend to get lost on tangents. :P

You have some skills. Think about that for a second.

Legion (2/20/2008)
Joshua Affonso (2/19/2008)
Legion (2/19/2008)

You have some skills. Think about that for a second.

Yeah you have a good point. I suppose what I should have said is that you should not pass up on the tweeners or utility players because if they are used correctly and well coached they can turn out to be vital.

it would be great if our real draft went like that, except id rather take henne than flacco......

But why do u even post this??? I bet there are like 15 mocks that have been posted that are almost identical to this.....This isnt your mock, its the Atl Falcons message board mock, cause everyone post this!!!

why waste your time???

The H.N.I.C. 2! (2/20/2008)
it would be great if our real draft went like that, except id rather take henne than flacco......

But why do u even post this??? I bet there are like 15 mocks that have been posted that are almost identical to this.....This isnt your mock, its the Atl Falcons message board mock, cause everyone post this!!!

why waste your time???

Excuse me? I have not seen any mocks on here that have Woodyard or V. Hall. Do you usually make unfounded ##### comments, or is this a new thing for you?

Joshua Affonso (2/20/2008)
The H.N.I.C. 2! (2/20/2008)

why waste your time???

Excuse me? I have not seen any mocks on here that have Woodyard or V. Hall. Do you usually make unfounded ##### comments, or is this a new thing for you?

dude its the same mock as everyone else....DT/OT/QB/LB/RB......

everyone has ellis/flacco/forte/ in their mocks and OT/LB u just plug in a player...whether its sam baker/collins/chelrious....or wheeler/hall/goff... just depends on who u like.

but its nowhere near unique....

dont get me wrong, if this happened on draft day, it would be good, but by now their is no point to keep regurgitating the same old mock over and over again....

dont get mad......lol