Obama taking heat because of his wife

Statick

(AP wire)

Barack Obama s wife, Michelle, is under fire for leaving the impression that she hasn t been proud of her country until now, when Democrats are beginning to rally around her husband s campaign.

Speaking in Milwaukee, Wis., on Monday, she said, People in this country are ready for change and hungry for a different kind of politics and & for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.

Greeted with rousing applause after making the comment in Milwaukee, Obama delivered an amended version of the speech later that day in Madison, Wis.

For the first time in my adult lifetime, I m really proud of my country & not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change, she said. I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. (uh, oh...)

Obama was born in 1964, meaning her adult life began in 1982. Critics quickly seized on the newfound national pride.

I am proud of my country, John McCain s wife, Cindy, said at a campaign stop in Brookfield, Wis., Tuesday. I don t know if you heard those words earlier & but I am very proud of my country.

During a follow up press conference, the Arizona senator was asked if they were responding to Michelle Obama and he deferred to his wife.

McCain responded: I just wanted to make the statement that I have and always will be proud of my country.

Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the candidate s wife wasn t trying to knock her country, only underscore the meaning behind her husband s campaign. (doesn't matter...Hillary and McCain will run with this regardless of what she meant)

The point is that of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn t be possible in any other nation on Earth, she said. What she meant is that she s really proud at this moment because for the first time in a long time, thousands of Americans who ve never participated in politics before are coming out in record numbers to build a grassroots movement for change.

But conservative outlets aren t so ready to let her off the hook.

Can it really be there has not been a moment during that time when she felt proud of her country? reads an article in Commentary magazine. Forget matters like the victory in the Cold War; how about only things that have made liberals proud all the accomplishments of inclusion? How about the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1991? Or Ruth Bader Ginsburg s elevation to the Supreme Court?

The article then says Michelle Obama s comments suggest the pseudo-messianic nature of the Obama candidacy is very much a part of the way the Obamas themselves are feeling.

Weekly Standard Editor Bill Kristol said the comment was sort of revealing.

She was an adult when we won the Cold War without firing a shot. She was an adult for the last 25 years of economic progress, social progress, he told FOX News. I think the Democrats have to be careful & they re running against the status quo & You have to be careful not to let that slide into a kind of indictment of America. Because I don t think the American people think on the whole that the last 25 years of American history is a narrative of despair and nothing to be proud of.

Democratic strategist Bob Beckel said Obama shouldn t have said it the way she said it but she gets the benefit of his doubt. He added that she most likely was just referring to the grassroots movement that s swelled to support her husband, but she needs to be more careful.

The Obama s have to recognize they are now front-runners, and everything they say, it s now open hunting season for people, he said.

Method (2/19/2008)
Heck, I haven't been proud of this country for about 8 years now.

People say things in the heat of a moment. Who cares what she said? She's not running for office.

Don't be stupid. She's a potential First Lady. She's in this, too.

Just because she doesn't have his direct power influence she still has to make public appearances and meet foreign dignitaries just like the President. Plus, they're married. People usually tie the opinions of what a husband and wife say together.

I am almost 30 and I can't think of a time I have been really "proud" of my country for any one particular thing. I have been ashamed at some points through the last 10 years, but I will always have hope. I will say though, that I am happy I am an American even in it's current state.

BigSlick (2/19/2008)
I am almost 30 and I can't think of a time I have been really "proud" of my country for any one particular thing. I have been ashamed at some points through the last 10 years, but I will always have hope. I will say though, that I am happy I am an American even in it's current state.
Likewise.

BigSlick (2/19/2008)

I have been proud....but it's mostly been when we have won certain sporting events.

I am proud of the fact that we can have this discussion in a public forum and no matter what opinion you hold, you won't be thrown into a dungeon or lined up against a wall and shot. Try that little trick in Communist China, Kim Jong-Il's North Korea, Islamo-Facist Iran or Saudi Arabia, Castro's Cuba, or Chavez' Venezuela.

No, we a not perfect nation, but to quote a great American philosopher.....

"We're the best thing going today!"

Ric_Flair_I.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

gritzblitz56 (2/19/2008)
I am proud of the fact that we can have this discussion in a public forum and no matter what opinion you hold, you won't be thrown into a dungeon or lined up against a wall and shot. Try that little trick in Communist China, Kim Jong-Il's North Korea, Islamo-Facist Iran or Saudi Arabia, Castro's Cuba, or Chavez' Venezuela.

but simply because you just wrote those names above, you have now been flagged and are on the no-fly list within the United Sates. Your next 4 weeks of phone calls will also be monitored as well.

gritzblitz56 (2/19/2008)

Ric_Flair_I.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Also agree!

Steve_Bartkowski (2/20/2008)
Here's a vid of the Michelle Obama statement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufb46_WvSkQ

Then add that to this:

obama-no-patriot.jpg

Here's the video from where this picture came from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8QCkgg5Kjo

What the heck? Did he see anybody in the crowd or on the stage with their hand on their heart? What is he doing? Protecting his nads? I just don't get it.

Really patriotic couple we have here...

You do know that its not required that you HAVE to place your hand on your heart, right? You can just face the music, which it seems that's what he's doing in that pic.

What's Richardson looking at, that's my question. I see the other two women behind him facing the music. I guess he's saluting the Burger King sign across the street.

I agree.

gritzblitz56 (2/19/2008)

Ric_Flair_I.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Right gritz. I remember one time at Turner Field, I had my Braves hat on when the anthem started. After a few seconds, I realized this and reached up to take my hat off and smooth down my hair. If someone had snapped a picture of this, they could say "Falconfoozball puts hat on during national anthem".

A picture often says 1000 words, but this one isn't saying that much to me. Other than Statick may be right that Richardson is thinking "Get me a Whopper!" ;) Get my drift, though? Any of those things could be true, but probably aren't.

gritzblitz56 (2/20/2008)
Ok, everyone knows the level of disdain I hold for most Democrat candidates (and quite a few republicans, too), but it's pretty weak to make assumptions about Obama's patriotism based on a snapshot or where he puts his hands during the national anthem. I think that's unfair and a bit childish.

yes it is...........this is the nationalism and the over the top patriotism that I just can't stand.

and besides....a real patriot would do it like we used to in the good ole days. :w00t:

american-school-children-bellamy-salute.jpg

DomeGnome (2/20/2008)
Yeah, Obama's taking some kind of heat because of Michelle.

645,000 votes in Wisconsin and won Hawaii in a landslide 76%-24%.

Ouch.

So Cindy McCain stands up and states that she was proud to be an American

...and America said...

Wow, we never knew that Cindy could speak?!??!?!?!?

The point of the thread was that his political opponents would use what she said against him. The point was for her not to rock the boat in the middle of the cruise.

Steve_Bartkowski (2/20/2008)
Statick (2/20/2008)

You do know that its not required that you HAVE to place your hand on your heart, right? You can just face the music, which it seems that's what he's doing in that pic.

What's Richardson looking at, that's my question. I see the other two women behind him facing the music. I guess he's saluting the Burger King sign across the street.

This was posted in the comments of that youtube vid:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Code: Title 36 : Section 301

National anthem

(a) Designation. - The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(B) Conduct During Playing. - During a rendition of the national anthem -

(1) when the flag is displayed - A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

© individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody had it right except Obama and Richardson. Richardson I can only assume wasn't facing the flag because everyone else was looking in the other direction. Obama had his right hand on his johnson instead of his heart.

Ya it's stupid but you would think that at least he would see people in the audience or on stage with their hand on their heart and know what he's supposed to do. Wouldn't he have been through this drill more than a few times?

Dude, I was in the military for years and I saw GIs and their families NOT put their hands over their hearts more than once. No one pulled them out of formation for not doing so in order to crucify them.

It didn't make them any less patriotic in my view, nor does it do so for Obama.