Wooo! Didn't realize this guys was an URFA on Feb 29th , Forget Cory Williams .

Draftnut57

Bears | Team offers contract to T. Harris

Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:21:43 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears have made a contract offer to DL Tommie Harris. Harris is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29.

Could you imagine this ? Abe/Harris/Ellis/Anderson :pinch:

I'm pretty sure they have misquoted Briggs. Here is the original story:

"Final push made to keep Briggs, Berrian, Ayanbadejo

The Bears are not going to give up on their own stars. Not without a final effort.

That became obvious Monday when it was discovered the release of three starters from last season and extension of defensive end Alex Brown was not the only business going on at Halas Hall. Along with dispatching right tackle Fred Miller, wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad and defensive tackle Darwin Walker, the Bears have made contract offers to linebacker Lance Briggs, wide receiver Bernard Berrian, defensive tackle Tommie Harris and special teamer Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Harris is signed through 2008. The others are set to become unrestricted free agents and general manager Jerry Angelo wants to start his free-agent shopping with his own. All four offers are under consideration, and all four players are represented by Miami-based power broker Drew Rosenhaus. If the Bears meet with success they could build some real momentum at the scouting combine in Indianapolis later this week, a place the organization looked so foolish last year."

If Harris ever were to hit the open market, he's a Blank Check free agent, though. Any amount of money he wants would be justified.

Here are the Bears' free agents according to Scout.com:

Unrestricted Free Agents

LB Brendon Ayanbadejo wants to be the league's highest paid special-teams ace but won't get that kind of money from the Bears, even though he is outstanding in that realm. He's not a factor in the defense. ...

WR Bernard Berrian has great speed and big-play capability, but he's fragile and has had just one big season. The Bears could franchise him but it's doubtful they'd commit $7.8 million, even if he is their top wideout. ...

LB Lance Briggs has been voted to three straight Pro Bowls, but the Bears have backed away since he spurned a six-year, $33 million offer two years ago, although Brian Urlacher's neck injury could force the team to re-examine its stance on Briggs. ...

G Ruben Brown missed the final eight games of the season with a shoulder injury that required surgery, which, after 13 NFL seasons, is probably a career-ender. ...

DT Antonio Garay is a bottom-of-the-depth chart player who finished the season on IR with a fractured ankle. ...

TE John Gilmore has a niche as the blocking member of the Bears' troika, but with Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark around, he's expendable. ...

QB Rex Grossman has been wildly inconsistent the past two seasons. The Bears would like to have him around to compete for the starting job but will not pay him a starter's salary until he earns the job, which he will have to do even if he is retained. ...

DT Jimmy Kennedy was signed at the end of the season only because of an injury epidemic, and he got enough snaps to prove that he still can't play. ...

Restricted Free Agents

WR Rashied Davis is a tough, little, dependable guy suited to the slot or as a No. 4 wideout, and he contributes on special teams. ...

S Brandon McGowan is a big hitter with potential, but he's inconsistent as a pass defender and has an injury history.

I think that it would be an either or type situation. If we manage to pull of the biggest signing in the offseason by adding Tommie Harris, we will not be drafting Ellis or Dorsey.

Once the coin flip decides the draft order, I am sure that TD will sit down and gauge the probabilities. If we pick at #5, I am guessing that TD will go full tilt at either Corey Williams or Tommie Harris. If we pick at #3, I am guessing that we will see FS and OL free agents targeted.

We will know after Friday.

Eric Obraiden (2/19/2008)
Lol, Draft, I've been on this board long enough to know that Tommy Harris may have been your all time favorite player coming out of college ( i used to be MSalmon). You wanted him over Dhall back in 04

No he was a very close 2nd behind LT , you must of not been around or you would remember , I jumped up and down even moref or LT than I did for Tommie. If you remember I had T Harris in my avatar for a year after the draft .

Lol, Draft, I've been on this board long enough to know that Tommy Harris may have been your all time favorite player coming out of college ( i used to be MSalmon). You wanted him over Dhall back in 04

MSalmon, I'll be , I wish everybody could have kept their names , I hate that. I din't notice you said that earlier.

Draftnut57 (2/20/2008)

MSalmon, I'll be , I wish everybody could have kept their names , I hate that. I din't notice you said that earlier.

yup its me. I could definitely be comfortable spending some cap money on Harris. He's a high level guy.

Draftnut, I am with you in your admiration of Tommie Harris. You may remember that yoiu and I were among the few that kept banging these boards and begging that we draft Harris. However, Tommie Harris may still have a big impact on our team.

If Harris hits the FA market, he automatically becomes the most sought after FA in the league. Several teams will be competing for his services. Who ever signs him will have to open their wallets and back the Brinks truck to unload the money.

I would suggest that Dimitroff quickly attack Corey Williams and sign him while others are competing for Harris. Williams is not as impactful as Harris, but he would fit our needs perfectly. Williams is a young vet that plays a lot like Ellis. After letting Coleman go, Williams would be a great addition to the team. Signing CW would allow us to draft a top notch OT with our first pick.

bgarcia28 (2/20/2008)
Draftnut, I am with you in your admiration of Tommie Harris. You may remember that yoiu and I were among the few that kept banging these boards and begging that we draft Harris. However, Tommie Harris may still have a big impact on our team.

If Harris hits the FA market, he automatically becomes the most sought after FA in the league. Several teams will be competing for his services. Who ever signs him will have to open their wallets and back the Brinks truck to unload the money.

I would suggest that Dimitroff quickly attack Corey Williams and sign him while others are competing for Harris. Williams is not as impactful as Harris, but he would fit our needs perfectly. Williams is a young vet that plays a lot like Ellis. After letting Coleman go, Williams would be a great addition to the team. Signing CW would allow us to draft a top notch OT with our first pick.

Hey, Garcia I was right there with you guys back Then :)

bgarcia28 (2/20/2008)
Hey, Garcia I was right there with you guys back Then

I remember. You were Salmon back then, weren't you?

What do you think about the Corey Williams idea? If we lose the coin flips and end up with the 5th pick, I would work hard to sign CW.

Yup, i was. I love the Corey Williams idea. Actually either Williams or Harris would be smart signings in my book. An impact DT in this new scheme would go a long way twds bolstering our still rather talented Defense. Either of those two guys would be my primary FA targets this year.

Im not sold on the idea of Ellis or Dorsey as top 5 picks anyway. Ellis while talented might be better suited to an UT position in a 4-3 one gap---he's undersized., and Dorsey I like but i watch a lot of LSU football and he did a whole lot of chasing folks versus staying in his gaps, and he had some nagging injuries. Both Williams and Harris bring talent and size to the position, as well as veteran leadership.

Draftnut57 (2/20/2008)
Well , i would love either one , But to be realistic , I think we will be better off using our FA money for the OL and drafting DTs. Unless they think we can aford both.

Draft, who do you like on the OL? Now that Wharton is off the table, i'd probably say Starks would be potential target. Or maybe Newberry at OC.