If the cuts were about finding comparable players for the money......

Will

After 720 yards and 4 TDs yet once again, I am really confused as to how this team plans on improving with Typically 1000 and 4 TDs per season from its starting running back. That's 11 TDs over 3 years for better than 5 million per season. If Blank can't make the break from him, this team will continue to underachieve. You can't expect a young QB to grow without an above average running back considering you only need approximately 65 yards per game to get to 1000. I waited to post just to see if more cuts would occur by today, but nothing happened. Productivity absolutely must mean something in the decision making. If Crumpler was cut, then Dunn probably should have been cut also. Unbelieveable!!!

Will (2/18/2008)
After 720 yards and 4 TDs yet once again, I am really confused as to how this team plans on improving with Typically 1000 and 4 TDs per season from its starting running back. That's 11 TDs over 3 years for better than 5 million per season. If Blank can't make the break from him, this team will continue to underachieve. You can't expect a young QB to grow without an above average running back considering you only need approximately 65 yards per game to get to 1000. I waited to post just to see if more cuts would occur by today, but nothing happened. Productivity absolutely must mean something in the decision making. If Crumpler was cut, then Dunn probably should have been cut also. Unbelieveable!!!

Give it time. A lot of people are still scratching their heads at the Crumpler cut, I understand. Maybe they think Dunn is better trade bait or something. I don't presume to know. That said, w/a dominating OL, I think you would see Dunn's numbers improve dramatically, although I'm still hoping he's not the "main man" next year.

I figured they were only giving him carries last year so he could get to 10k for his career, and that we'd let him walk after that... yet he's still here. I guess there's still plenty of time and the staff just wants to have a better idea of exactly what realistic option they have at filling that spot, before making the cut.

k-train (2/18/2008)
scott hartley (2/18/2008)
I believe they are trying to trade him.

No way anyone would give us anything for him considering they'd have to pick up that contract.

Good point. Who's rich this year, anybody? Seems like I saw a list posted here, but I don't remember who had the most room. I heard Tampa's supposed to have about 30m, but they don't need him, and he's been there done that. How much of a hit is that, anyway, somewhere around 6 right?

falconfoozball (2/18/2008)
k-train (2/18/2008)
scott hartley (2/18/2008)
I believe they are trying to trade him.

No way anyone would give us anything for him considering they'd have to pick up that contract.

Good point. Who's rich this year, anybody? Seems like I saw a list posted here, but I don't remember who had the most room. I heard Tampa's supposed to have about 30m, but they don't need him, and he's been there done that. How much of a hit is that, anyway, somewhere around 6 right?

I just said they were trying to. I read it on espn under "Falcons shopping Dunn" or something. dont ask me for a link I don't feel like looking for it. It would obviously be stupid for a team to pick up his contract but stranger things have happened.

I think we'll have him renegotiate for about half of his current salary and be our "Kevin Faulk" for a couple of more seasons.

Dunn was always very good receiver, and he'd be an excellent 3rd down back if used sparingly in that situation. ****, with Crumpler gone, Dunn probably has the 2nd or 3rd best hands on the team.

He's just not worth what he's being paid. If he cuts his salary drastically, I'd love to have him around for a few more seasons while Norwood/Snelling/08 Rookie carry the load.

virginiafalcon (2/19/2008)
I think we'll have him renegotiate for about half of his current salary and be our "Kevin Faulk" for a couple of more seasons.

Dunn was always very good receiver, and he'd be an excellent 3rd down back if used sparingly in that situation. ****, with Crumpler gone, Dunn probably has the 2nd or 3rd best hands on the team.

He's just not worth what he's being paid. If he cuts his salary drastically, I'd love to have him around for a few more seasons while Norwood/Snelling/08 Rookie carry the load.

Dunn has refused to let anyone think he is a situational or 3rd back. he has always insisted he should get the ball 20 times a game. He would have to change his attitude or face his ego.

Will (2/18/2008)

First post? Welcome. That was the injury cuts.

yeah... get off Dunn's back. He's a great guy and he's still a viable running back. I would be an honored to have Dunn retire as a falcon.

These are people we're talking about... not just numbers. Not that I want to have to a team of really nice people who can't produce, but Dunn doesn't fit that visage. He's a good player and an even better person.

Satode23 (2/19/2008)
yeah... get off Dunn's back. He's a great guy and he's still a viable running back. I would be an honored to have Dunn retire as a falcon.

These are people we're talking about... not just numbers. Not that I want to have to a team of really nice people who can't produce, but Dunn doesn't fit that visage. He's a good player and an even better person.

I doubt very seriously that my boss or customers care THAT much about me. The team is a product and the players are the workers. They are on production (just like me only better paid) and when production lags maybe its time for a change.

Legion (2/19/2008)
Satode23 (2/19/2008)

I doubt very seriously that my boss or customers care THAT much about me. The team is a product and the players are the workers. They are on production (just like me only better paid) and when production lags maybe its time for a change.

MmmmMm.. potentially. It all depends on how Blank plans to run his business. My opinion is that he does care about his employees that much. We'll see though... either way, I support the Falcon's decision...

but ideally, I would like to see Dunn retire as a Falcon. :)

Satode23 (2/19/2008)
Legion (2/19/2008)
Satode23 (2/19/2008)

MmmmMm.. potentially. It all depends on how Blank plans to run his business. My opinion is that he does care about his employees that much. We'll see though... either way, I support the Falcon's decision...

but ideally, I would like to see Dunn retire as a Falcon. :)

Which would be fine. Retire, the sooner the better. If Blank wants to make money, he'll have to take a more business approach and less fatherly. You like a guy that much, make him a staff member. Right now we need youth. I could care less how much of a great guy he is, I want to win games.

Will (2/18/2008)

STAY TUNED IN...............:)

DeathFromAbove (2/18/2008)
Considering Blank's admiration for Dunn I expect he'll definitely be given the chance to reneg for lower $$ and retire a Falcon.

Now if he resigns for less money it is my unproven contention that Dunn will remain a starter and we will not move on to a more productive (TD scoring) type of running back. I believe even Norwood is more explosive and a better pass catcher out of the backfield, but certainly hasn't been the every down back answer due to durability much like Dunn. After 3 years, I believe he's leveled off scoring wise as to what he is at this point in his career and the falcons will need a running back that can carry the load if we move to a young QB. Again, the addition of Adrian Peterson gives their young QB a chance to grow. Our next QB can succeed much easier if there is a productive counter-balance to his growth. If scoring is left almost exclusively to the QB's ability to throw TDs, then this growth may take a lot longer.