Some new Mayock OL video up at NFL.com.

jidady

I've only got a second (this is a **** week at work), but the gist is that Long would be an exemplary right tackle while he can play left tackle. If it's the latter, Mayock shows the film of the Wisconsin, OSU and one other game and says, "He'll always struggle against the great right ends in the NFL." So, it's a pretty good job by this message board to call that six months out when everyone else was raving about him.

The shocker is that his #5 offensive lineman, Branden Albert out of Virginia, is someone he is moving into his overall top 10. He believes Albert can play LT in the NFL and excel there. He's so lavish in his praise that I'm going to have to track down some Virginia games to take another look. I have to be honest that while I watched him play some, whenever their games were on, I was mainly focused on Long. I hardly paid any attention to them on offense. This is the first time I've heard him mentioned as a potential LT. That makes him a much more interesting prospect.

frozenfew (2/19/2008)
It seems mayock has an agenda, I would harldy consider him an authority on anything. just a shock jock. I could peice together three highlights of felix jones and convince most that he is better than mcfadden! What has mayock done to deserve this acclaim.

More than that, what has he done to convince you that he has an "agenda"?

As far as his acclaim, he's been more accurate in his predictions than Kiper has for the past few years. That alone nets him some credibility.

Direwolf

Just about every LT struggles with the "elite speed rushers". Look at the fits Freeney gives Ogden everytime they face off. Look at how Matt Light was struggling with Osi Umenyiora. In a head to head battle between an elite speed rusher and an elite OT, the speed rusher will have the advantage in pass rushing, but will be at a disadvantage most of the time in the running game. The bottom line is Jake Long is the #1 OT on everyone's board for a reason.

halsey (2/19/2008)
The bottom line is Jake Long is the #1 OT on everyone's board for a reason.

The bottom line is the quote of, "He'll make a great Right Tackle, but he can play Left Tackle." Given that the Falcons have a pair of decent RTs and no LT, he's not a match for us.

grendel (2/19/2008)
halsey (2/19/2008)
Just about every LT struggles with the "elite speed rushers". Look at the fits Freeney gives Ogden everytime they face off. Look at how Matt Light was struggling with Osi Umenyiora. In a head to head battle between an elite speed rusher and an elite OT, the speed rusher will have the advantage in pass rushing, but will be at a disadvantage most of the time in the running game. The bottom line is Jake Long is the #1 OT on everyone's board for a reason.

Who was the guy who schooled Freeney and showed everyone how to handle his spin move? Was it Ogden? There's one guy who just flat out dominates Freeney and pretty much everyone who comes up against him, but I'm forgetting who it is right now...

The fact is that the struggles that NE's OT's had have the Pats fans calling for a 1st round LT, so...

The Patriots would probably be thrilled to have Jake Long be that LT. He's a **** of a lot better prospect than Light was.

jidady (2/19/2008)
halsey (2/19/2008)
The bottom line is Jake Long is the #1 OT on everyone's board for a reason.

The bottom line is the quote of, "He'll make a great Right Tackle, but he can play Left Tackle." Given that the Falcons have a pair of decent RTs and no LT, he's not a match for us.

The Falcons have decent RB's too. Some fans are always willing to settle for 'decent' at non glamour positions. There's a reason why pro bowl quality tackles like Ogden and Jones stay with the team that drafted them for most or all of thier career. The last time the Falcons drafted an OT from Michigan he stayed with them all 17 years of his career.

halsey (2/19/2008)
The last time the Falcons drafted an OT from Michigan he stayed with them all 17 years of his career.

And if he were reborn in this draft as a 21-year-old, I'd be all for drafting him. Unfortunately, the guy in his place too stiff to play the left side at a high level in the pros. If you want to talk to me about Clady, that's a LT I would be thrilled for us to have. You're blurring the message of position with prospect. I want us to bring in a high ceiling LT. I am confident Long is not that guy, though.

The Cush (2/19/2008)
halsey (2/19/2008)
Hey, remember when Jamaal Brown was ranked below Alex Barron by most analysts because Barron was a "true LT". Yeah, how'd that work out.
I never thought Barron was a true LT. I'm sure others didn't as well.

Yeah, I don't know who the "analysts" were on that but I always thought Barron was overrated and rather lazy. Ray Willis was less hyped but a better player for FSU imo.

jidady (2/19/2008)
halsey (2/19/2008)
The last time the Falcons drafted an OT from Michigan he stayed with them all 17 years of his career.

And if he were reborn in this draft as a 21-year-old, I'd be all for drafting him. Unfortunately, the guy in his place too stiff to play the left side at a high level in the pros. If you want to talk to me about Clady, that's a LT I would be thrilled for us to have. You're blurring the message of position with prospect. I want us to bring in a high ceiling LT. I am confident Long is not that guy, though.

You're right. Long's forte' is run blocking, and to me that's a RT in this league. Clady is the best LT period.