Thomas: 7x Pro Bowl

Brooking: 5x Pro Bowl

Thomas: 2007, 2nd highest paid LB in NFL

Brooking: 2007, 3rd highest paid LB in NFL

Thomas: 2007 team record - 1-15

Brooking: 2007 team record - 3-13

Thomas: age 34

Brooking: age 32

Thomas: avg tackles over the last 7 seasons (including only 5 gms in 07) = 140.3

Brooking: avg tackles over the last 7 seasons = 124.3

Thomas: 2008 new coach, new GM...got cut

Brooking: 2008 new coach, new GM...?????

From Dimitroff after recent cuts:

On what kind of comparisons the team used in making the decision:

I firmly believe that it s very important to take the player or players that you re evaluating that you have questions about (and) compare them not only to other players on our team but also the other players that are potential draftable players as well as potential free agent acquisitions. You not only compare the overall talent but you go as far as comparing certain criteria that each one of these players needs to posses and we compare all those traits as well. We really dig down deep and see exactly what we re getting from a certain player on our team versus what may be out there, again, in the draft and free agency& We spent a lot of time on that process.

You might want to also mention that Thomas has had the luxury of playing behind a much better DL than Brooking. And, you also would want to account for the fact that Brooking is not a MLB, but a WLB.

Did Zack Thomas ever play WLB? He probably would have felt a little out of place.

My point is that it is difficult to compare Thomas to Brooking. If Brooking takes a pay cut, he should be kept on this roster. Brooking is a quality LB. Heck, you have shown that with the comparison you made to Thomas.

bgarcia28 (2/18/2008)
You might want to also mention that Thomas has had the luxury of playing behind a much better DL than Brooking. And, you also would want to account for the fact that Brooking is not a MLB, but a WLB.

Did Zack Thomas ever play WLB? He probably would have felt a little out of place.

My point is that it is difficult to compare Thomas to Brooking. If Brooking takes a pay cut, he should be kept on this roster. Brooking is a quality LB. Heck, you have shown that with the comparison you made to Thomas.

True enough. Still Thomas is younger, and would likely be an upgrade for us. My problem w/going after him is that I heard him say outright on NFLN that he didn't want to go to a team that is in rebuilding mode. Not sure I want any players that don't really want to be here.

bgarcia28 (2/18/2008)

My apologies if I led anyone to believe that this thread was somehow advocating picking up Zach Thomas. That is not my intention. It was food for thought about Brooking's fated with the Falcons. In other words, at the end of the day, their numbers are similar and Thomas got cut when the new coach and new GM arrived because he costs too much.

boss hogg (2/18/2008)
bgarcia28 (2/18/2008)

My apologies if I led anyone to believe that this thread was somehow advocating picking up Zach Thomas. That is not my intention. It was food for thought about Brooking's fated with the Falcons. In other words, at the end of the day, their numbers are similar and Thomas got cut when the new coach and new GM arrived because he costs too much.

yep and he is alot better than Brooking.If Thomas can be cut then Brooking def. should be cut.Thomas could actually play.