Serious Questions to Be Answered

xcomm

1) I like the Boston College QB, but do we take a QB in the first round who will constantly have the pressure of "not being Michael Vick on the playing field"? That may be a lot of pressure placed upon a #1 draft pick for QB in addition to the high expectations for the draft pick.

2) Do we go after one impact player such as Charger RB Turner who can make things happen and take pressure off of any QB, or stick with Norwood who may be injury prone. I also like Julius Jones.

3) Do we hold on to Pro Bowl player D. Hall or trade him to fill needs. He has talent, but how many holes are in the dike that other players and picks from trading him would fill? I know there are Hall fans here and his popularity isn't the point with me. The point is making this team better in 2 years.

4) What "second tier" free agents do we target to make the team chemistry better and make our team better?

Agreed GEORGIAfan. Those are the only things I keep hearing that are good about him. The prototypical size and leadership. Never mind that his arm isn't that great and that he makes too many mistakes, at least he can see over the line.

Thats definitely worth a top 5 pick in my book.:rolleyes:

Bring It (2/18/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/18/2008)
I do not like Matt Ryan, because his intangibles are his leadership, size, frame, etc. Not his skills. he has a weak arm, forces it to much, to many ints.

Weak arm ?? Are you nuts ?? ALL the pro scouts rate his arm as A+. Where have you been ??

almost every scouting report I've read mentions that he doesn't have great arm strength.

xcomm (2/18/2008)
1) I like the Boston College QB, but do we take a QB in the first round who will constantly have the pressure of "not being Michael Vick on the playing field"? That may be a lot of pressure placed upon a #1 draft pick for QB in addition to the high expectations for the draft pick.

2) Do we go after one impact player such as Charger RB Turner who can make things happen and take pressure off of any QB, or stick with Norwood who may be injury prone. I also like Julius Jones.

3) Do we hold on to Pro Bowl player D. Hall or trade him to fill needs. He has talent, but how many holes are in the dike that other players and picks from trading him would fill? I know there are Hall fans here and his popularity isn't the point with me. The point is making this team better in 2 years.

4) What "second tier" free agents do we target to make the team chemistry better and make our team better?

1) We don't take a QB in the first round for that very reason - the pressure. It would be best to let them sit for a year or more and learn, but we can't afford to wait that long for such a high pick to develop. Unless there was a QB who could step in immediately and make everyone forget about Vick, I can't see a QB in the first.

2) Where is this "injury prone" stuff with Norwood coming from? From what I've read, he was very durable in college, and hasn't suffered a major injury in the NFL. Everyone gets banged up a little - it is a physical league. In response to your question, I think Turner would be a good pickup, if for no other reason then it would keep us from having to draft a RB high in the draft. I think a Norwood/Turner tandem sounds pretty formidable.

3) I say we should keep Hall and try to give him a new contract unless another team makes us an offer that blows us away. The point of rebuilding is to get better - not give away everyone of value in order for the uncertain promise of future tallent. Even if it takes us 2 years to rebuild, he'll only be 26 with 6 years of starting experience. That combination of youth and experience is tough to find, and makes him even more valuable.

4) I don't have any specific names for this one, but I would like to get some second-tier players that want to play here and have a love for the game. What I don't want is a player like Hartwell, who seems more interested in cashing game checks than actually making hits or providing leadership. Maybe some players who don't have terrific measurables but who are instinctive and tough?

Bring It (2/18/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/18/2008)
I do not like Matt Ryan, because his intangibles are his leadership, size, frame, etc. Not his skills. he has a weak arm, forces it to much, to many ints.

Weak arm ?? Are you nuts ?? ALL the pro scouts rate his arm as A+. Where have you been ??

He only threw 60 yards in the competition. Flacco won it with almost 80. Ryan doesn't have anything close to what they call a cannon; which I think is a requirement of a quarterback taken in the top 5.

Bring It (2/18/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/18/2008)

show me where you see that.

Average arm in the 1st round is weak to me. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...b/mattryan.html

scott hartley (2/18/2008)
Bring It (2/18/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/18/2008)

He only threw 60 yards in the competition. Flacco won it with almost 80. Ryan doesn't have anything close to what they call a cannon; which I think is a requirement of a quarterback taken in the top 5.

i agree. remember flacco did not even throw a spiral, so that slowed down his ball.