Shouldn't Romney's sons enlist???

thesouphead

He had to drop out of the race in order to save America from having the Dems surrender to terror. It was that important to him. So why is it not that important when it comes to offering up his greatest possible assets in the form of his 5 healthy children? They would all make solid front line soldiers in my opinion.

thesouphead (2/18/2008)
He had to drop out of the race in order to save America from having the Dems surrender to terror. It was that important to him. So why is it not that important when it comes to offering up his greatest possible assets in the form of his 5 healthy children? They would all make solid front line soldiers in my opinion.

You're leaving out the most important factor. When he was asked what his sons were doing to serve America, he told us that they were serving America by trying to get their father elected President.

Well . . . NOW what are they doing?

thesouphead (2/18/2008)

His sons are probably too old. I think most of them are pushing 40. Doesn't the military have an age cutoff of 30 or something?

holymoses (2/18/2008)

You're leaving out the most important factor. When he was asked what his sons were doing to serve America, he told us that they were serving America by trying to get their father elected President.

Well . . . NOW what are they doing?

Of course......that was going to be mentioned. haha

happen to know if he has been asked this question since he dropped out?

young mr. grace (2/18/2008)

His sons are probably too old. I think most of them are pushing 40. Doesn't the military have an age cutoff of 30 or something?

They range from 26 to 38 I believe.....and I am also pretty sure that the military upped the age limits in recent years due to poor recruitment. I think they would be ok...and I am sure that Romney could even pull a few strings if he needed to.....after all, we must not surrender to terror.

His kids should make their own choices in life. Just because their Dad supports the war doesn't mean they have to enlist.

In Farenheit 9/11, when Moore approached the Congressman about his kids serving in Iraq, saying 'What are your kids doing for the war', I wish the Congressman had said 'Making up their own minds'.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/08/...olitics_3147321

(AP) Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Wednesday defended his five sons' decision not to enlist in the military, saying they're showing their support for the country by "helping me get elected."

Romney, who did not serve in Vietnam due to his Mormon missionary work and a high draft lottery number, was asked the question by an anti-war activist after a speech in which he called for "a surge of support" for U.S. forces in Iraq.

Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, also saluted a uniformed soldier in the crowd and called for donations to military support organizations. Last week, he donated $25,000 to seven such organizations.

"The good news is that we have a volunteer Army and that's the way we're going to keep it," Romney told some 200 people gathered in an abbey near the Mississippi River that had been converted into a hotel. "My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard."

He added: "One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

Romney's five sons range in age from 37 to 26 and have worked as real estate developers, sports marketers and advertising executives. They are now actively campaigning for their father and have a "Five Brothers" blog on Romney's campaign Web site.

Romney noted that his middle son, 36-year-old Josh, was completing a recreational vehicle tour of all 99 Iowa counties on Wednesday and said, "I respect that and respect all those and the way they serve this great country."

The woman who asked the question, Rachel Griffiths, 41, of Milan, Ill., identified herself as a member of Quad City Progressive Action for the Common Good, as well as the sister of an Army major who had served in Iraq.

"Of course not," Griffiths said when asked if she was satisfied with Romney's answer. "He told me the way his son shows support for our military and our nation is to buy a Winnebago and ride across Iowa and help him get elected."

The town-hall-style meeting was the first of eight events scheduled for Romney just three days before the Iowa Straw Poll, a nonbinding beauty contest among the Republican presidential contenders.

In the days leading up it, Romney is airing a new television ad in the state in which he encourages supporters to attend the event, portrays himself as an outsider to Washington and takes swipes at both Republicans and Democrats there.

"Washington politicians in both parties have proven they can't control spending, and they won't control our borders," Romney says in the ad. "I will, but I need your help to do it."

While former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, who is considering a campaign are not participating, Romney has been actively organizing with the aim of gaining momentum into January's Iowa caucuses, which kick off the presidential nominating process.

Ok, we need to pick a lane when it comes to the issue of military service. It wasn't important the two times Bill Clinton ran against decorated combat veterans. But it was a huge issue when Vietnam vet John Kerry ran against a guy who may or may not have served in the National Guard. Now we're going to have another decorated war veteran and former POW running against someone with no military record. Will that be important?

Going by past history, I would say a most resounding no.

thesouphead (2/18/2008)
kicker23 (2/18/2008)
Are you responsible for the words of your father?

I am not trying to get my father elected for president and my father has not said that the reason I am not in the military is because of a presidential campaign.

Again, are you responsible for the words of your father? I can support my fathers choices in life without commiting my life toward his goals. Why should his children be any different? This argument is childish. Only from Bill Maher, where he NEVER ACTUALLY gets grilled for his one-liners.

kicker23 (2/18/2008)

I am not trying to get my father elected for president and my father has not said that the reason I am not in the military is because of a presidential campaign.

Again, are you responsible for the words of your father? I can support my fathers choices in life without commiting my life toward his goals. Why should his children be any different? This argument is childish. Only from Bill Maher, where he NEVER ACTUALLY gets grilled for his one-liners.

actually, Maher will go on shows like O'Reilly and Hannity's when ever he gets a chance and always makes them look silly. That's the reason they don't invite him too often.

*using a Repbulican tactic here*- So you are ok with Romney's kids surrendering to the terrorists? ;)

kicker23 (2/18/2008)
thesouphead (2/18/2008)
kicker23 (2/18/2008)
Are you responsible for the words of your father?

I think you need to tell us why you hate the troops.

octoslash (2/18/2008)

Should Chelsea Clinton enlist?

Did Barack Obama just get out of the Marines?

Does thesouphead ever post an original thought?

NO

NO

SO FAR NEVER

from another poster, I would have taken offense, but coming from a guy who has a seriously high post count but never seems to bring anything valid to any of the discussions, it doesn't bother me at all. I love when you crack jokes......, but that's about all you do.

octoslash (2/18/2008)

Did Barack Obama just get out of the Marines?

Obama is not the one saying that the war in Iraq is the front line in the war on terror and is the most important thing for our nation today. If he was, then you might have a point.

A better analogy would be to suggest that Obama's kids become doctors.

The_ ATL (2/18/2008)
You should have to serve in the military before you are given the power to send others to war.

I don't think it should be this way really.....but I do think that if a politician thinks that continuing to fight a current war is the or one of the nation's highest priorities, I think that him and those closest to him should put their money where their mouth is. : )

thesouphead (2/18/2008)
The_ ATL (2/18/2008)
You should have to serve in the military before you are given the power to send others to war.

I don't think it should be this way really.....but I do think that if a politician thinks that continuing to fight a current war is the or one of the nation's highest priorities, I think that him and those closest to him should put their money where their mouth is. : )

Do you run some sort of dictatorship in your family? Does your dad still rein over you?

thesouphead (2/18/2008)
kicker23 (2/18/2008)Do you run some sort of dictatorship in your family? Does your dad still rein over you?

ME? No.......but I don't go around pretending that I think the war in Iraq is the most important thing either. Kinda my point.

And it shouldn't matter to grown kids what a father says. Regardless of what the subject matter is. Kinda my point.