Weekend at the movies.. What did you see (rental or theatre) and your critique.

SacFalcFan

What movies did you watch this weekend and what did you think of them?

I saw Yesterday. It was a tough movie to watch, but one that shows the strength one can have when facing very tough situation/obstacles. It is about a faithful wife who gets HIV from her husband and has to deal with her disease, his disease, and trying to stay alive til her daughter goes to her first day of school. (This isn't a spoiler, if you read the information regarding the movie it talks about this).

Also saw "We own the night". Thought it was a very good movie. I always like Duvall in movies and the entire cast was great.

Finally saw Spiderman 3. Umm a waste of time IMO. I didn't hate it or like it. I did like the fight scenes, but they could have gotten rid of about 45 minutes of the movie with just wasted dialogue and creating extra junk. I could have done without him walking down the road dancing. If you are recovering from surgery and under medication and aren't too together then this is a great movie to have on in the background.

Last movie I saw was The assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Brad Pitt was in it playing jesse james and did a very good job. Casey Affleck played Robert Ford and he did a great job playing the coward robert ford. It took the assassination story up to robert ford's final breathe. Long movie, but good movie.

Was going to go see Jumper with the family, but then I thought about it, and realized I was the only one that REALLY wanted to see it...so we went with Fool's Gold instead. As it turns out, FG wasn't a bad flick...MM and KH have great chemistry in movies, and they were quite funny...as were the other actors in it...Donald Sutherland was hilarious...and to be honest, I was completely shocked to Ray Winstone in it...I'm a huge fan of his, and though his performance in this one was light years from The Departed...it was still pretty funny. If you were a fan of Sahara, then you'd like Fool's Gold...all in all, I'd give a solid 3.5 out 5...I'll try to find time to see Jumper next weekend. ;)

I know I'm very late on this but finally saw (DVD) The Bourne Ultimatum this weekend...

****, that was a good movie!

I wish a different Bourne flick came out every couple of weeks....

That is how to make a well-written plot driven action film.

Ton you have to experience this in the theater to get the full effects. It is a roller coaster ride. Very good and worth the price of admission.

Gritz, the Bourne Ultimatum is also worth the price of admission also.

Ton80Kid (2/18/2008)
Eddie Jewell (2/18/2008)
Saw Rambo this weekend. All I can say is ****!!!!!!! great movie. Very bloody.

Cool...I really want to see this one...from what I've heard, Sly's 60+year old, HGH and 'roid juiced self, is absolutely ruthless in this one...;)

I watched "Gone Baby Gone" this weekend before the Pavlik Taylor fight. It was kinda tough to watch, but nevertheless a good movie.

I want to see "Rambo" as well.

I agree Sac that "Spiderman 3" was awful.

"We Own The Night" is up next for me.

I don't see a lot of movies in the theatre, I like waiting, but I can't wait for "The Dark Knight" this summer. Bale is my favorite actor. Ledger will be a great Joker.

I watched Rambo. Seriously 10x better than I thought it to be.

For one, its REALLY gory. Death all over. I felt like a man.

The thing is though, the plot is really good. Well, the lack of a plot I should say. Basically its really simple, good vs. bad. The thing is though, thats literally how it is in Burma right now. People are being slaughtered with no shades of gray and nobody cares. It was a really good subtle social commentary.

Plus it does reference the old Rambo movies some and I thought that was good.

I loved it.

Gone Baby Gone is a movie I find flawed in a couple of ways due to a plot point that happens most of the way through the movie. It has been years since I had such intense debate about a film after the fact, however, and I say that as someone whose job partially involves movie discussions. The ending of GBG is a sucker punch.

I saw Rambo when it first came out (don't remember how long ago, not too long.) and I wasn't expecting it to be good at all, but I went because it is RAMBO. Turns out it was pretty good stuff, lots of gore, shooting, gore & more shooting. Best part of it all was that Stallone hardly does any speaking in the movie which was great because I don't think I could have sat there and listened to him speak for an hour and a half.

jidady (2/18/2008)
Gone Baby Gone is a movie I find flawed in a couple of ways due to a plot point that happens most of the way through the movie. It has been years since I had such intense debate about a film after the fact, however, and I say that as someone whose job partially involves movie discussions. The ending of GBG is a sucker punch.

I just saw it tonight and hate the ending..  I don't get into movie debates myself, but I thought it was a pathetic ending..  JMO

I watched "The Man Who Wasn't There" this weekend. I saw it in the theatre when it came out, but that was a while ago, so I decided to check it out again. Not the Coen brothers' best, but still really good. Cinematography was amazing. You couldn't watch that movie in color... it just wouldn't work.

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" is on the dvd player waiting to be watched next.

The Brave One - (7.5/10) I'm not a big Jodie Foster fan, but both she and Terrence Howard played great parts in this film.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford - (7/10) Very long. Hardly any action, but a great story. Great acting throughout.

We Own The Night - (6/10) Good movie. I thought it could have been better, especially the ending.

Looking forward to seeing American Gangster this week.

falkonX7 (2/19/2008)
rented 'The Brave One' with Jodie Foster. Great revenge/vigilante flick. i really loved the ending.

Along those same lines, has anyone seen Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon? It's supposed to be like a Death Wish remake...or something...just curious if it's good. :blink: