Okay now I'm torn about the QB's

skynyrd04

I think there are too many good players in this draft to reach for one of the many mediocre QBs. I think Brennan, Paul Smith, or Kevin O'Connell in rounds 5-7 is the way to go. Everyone wants to say Henne or Booty in round 2, but people put too much stock into the Senior Bowl. All the QBs in this draft have a ton of questions.

Looking long term, Flacco would seem to be a good prospect for what we want to do on offense. He's big and strong and has a cannon for an arm that would be perfect for the vertical passing game that coach Mularkey wants to implement. Obviously he needs training, but as a developmental prospect he could be fine for us.

Direwolf

Okay. this is my breakdown of tha quarterbacks. this is in no particular order.

Matt Ryan- a pick nobody wants to like because of the depth of qb at this draft, our long list of needs, and because he's suspect at times. Matt Ryan has not had tha stellar collegiate career which scares people away. He receives a lot of praise because of his size and intangibles, and will be a good quarterback somewhere. but I'm not quite sure we should press our luck with a quarterback so early.

reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck

Brian Brohm- a pick nobody wants to like because of Bobby Whatshisface, and Louisville's system. I believe he's tha most "quarterback" out of tha group. He can read defenses and make tha throws. He's not very mobile, but his poise in tha pocket takes tha cake.

reminds me of Peyton Manning (a step below)

Chad Henne- stock began to rise with his bowl win against Florida and his Senior Bowl performance. Im still not completely sold on Henne. Nobody was saying his name before these two events. Cant complain his production and win total as he was tha Quarterback of Michigan. However, with that said, Henne had a great offensive line and tha most weapons out of any qb in this draft. A good quarterback, but im still not sure.

reminds me of Tony Romo

Joe Flacco- towering quarterback. his arm is as strong as michael vick's, but his accuracy and decision making are even better. very mobile for his size and seems to be a hard worker. Negatives include his throwing motion and coming from a small school. However, he dominated from that small school.

reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger (a step below)

John David Booty- quarterback fit for tha west coast offense. because of this, I believe Booty will have tha earliest impact on his team. Booty is a quarterback with a quarterback mind; he gets tha game. forces his passes at times but doesnt have tha zip to do so. arm strength is adequate but not massive. but he makes smart decisions and is accurate while moving.

reminds me of Marc Bulger (healthy version)

Josh Johnson & Dennis Dixon- separated at birth??? two quarterbacks of a similar mold. both skinny, speedy, and accurate. but we have somebody by tha name of DJ Shockley who's bigger with similar traits. This is tha one way i hope we dont go.

reminds me of Tavaris Jackson

Colt Brennan- maybe my subconscious is telling me something because i typed "Cold Brennan" first. no lie. Brennan has a wierd throwing motion and is mad skinny. He got pounded by Georgia and might have been exposed a little. Is very accurate however, but is he a system quarterback?

reminds me of Alex Smith

Erik Ainge- eh. not too much to say about him. He's got tha quarterback frame but is too inconsistent.

reminds me of Jake Delhomme

Kevin O'Connell- I'd like to take all credit for showing these boards Kevin O'Connell, first of all. With that out tha way, O'Connell is 6'6'' 230lbs with 4.6 speed. That should automatically turn heads. He's a pretty good decision maker and uses his mobility as a last resort. From what i've seen, he's got skills. but naysayers will always go for stats to find flaws. He's a gamer and a late round gem.

reminds me of Phillip Rivers (more mobile)

Paul Smith- very lean quarterback, but his stats are almost impeccable. im not gonna lie and say i've had my eye on him cuz I havent. Nobody really did til yesterday. Needs to bulk up, imo. a late round gem.

reminds me of ????

thakrunk1 (2/18/2008)
Okay. this is my breakdown of tha quarterbacks. this is in no particular order.

Matt Ryan- a pick nobody wants to like because of the depth of qb at this draft, our long list of needs, and because he's suspect at times. Matt Ryan has not had tha stellar collegiate career which scares people away. He receives a lot of praise because of his size and intangibles, and will be a good quarterback somewhere. but I'm not quite sure we should press our luck with a quarterback so early.

reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck

Brian Brohm- a pick nobody wants to like because of Bobby Whatshisface, and Louisville's system. I believe he's tha most "quarterback" out of tha group. He can read defenses and make tha throws. He's not very mobile, but his poise in tha pocket takes tha cake.

reminds me of Peyton Manning (a step below)

Chad Henne- stock began to rise with his bowl win against Florida and his Senior Bowl performance. Im still not completely sold on Henne. Nobody was saying his name before these two events. Cant complain his production and win total as he was tha Quarterback of Michigan. However, with that said, Henne had a great offensive line and tha most weapons out of any qb in this draft. A good quarterback, but im still not sure.

reminds me of Tony Romo

Joe Flacco- towering quarterback. his arm is as strong as michael vick's, but his accuracy and decision making are even better. very mobile for his size and seems to be a hard worker. Negatives include his throwing motion and coming from a small school. However, he dominated from that small school.

reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger (a step below)

John David Booty- quarterback fit for tha west coast offense. because of this, I believe Booty will have tha earliest impact on his team. Booty is a quarterback with a quarterback mind; he gets tha game. forces his passes at times but doesnt have tha zip to do so. arm strength is adequate but not massive. but he makes smart decisions and is accurate while moving.

reminds me of Marc Bulger (healthy version)

Josh Johnson & Dennis Dixon- separated at birth??? two quarterbacks of a similar mold. both skinny, speedy, and accurate. but we have somebody by tha name of DJ Shockley who's bigger with similar traits. This is tha one way i hope we dont go.

reminds me of Tavaris Jackson

Colt Brennan- maybe my subconscious is telling me something because i typed "Cold Brennan" first. no lie. Brennan has a wierd throwing motion and is mad skinny. He got pounded by Georgia and might have been exposed a little. Is very accurate however, but is he a system quarterback?

reminds me of Alex Smith

Erik Ainge- eh. not too much to say about him. He's got tha quarterback frame but is too inconsistent.

reminds me of Jake Delhomme

Kevin O'Connell- I'd like to take all credit for showing these boards Kevin O'Connell, first of all. With that out tha way, O'Connell is 6'6'' 230lbs with 4.6 speed. That should automatically turn heads. He's a pretty good decision maker and uses his mobility as a last resort. From what i've seen, he's got skills. but naysayers will always go for stats to find flaws. He's a gamer and a late round gem.

Paul Smith- very lean quarterback, but his stats are almost impeccable. im not gonna lie and say i've had my eye on him cuz I havent. Nobody really did til yesterday. Needs to bulk up, imo. a late round gem.

reminds me of ????

those are good comparisons. wheni was watching brohm last night, reminded me of peyton manning also.

grendel (2/18/2008)
Brian Brohm is hands down theh best QB in the draft, but I'm one of the few who thinks he's actually worth a top 5 pick.

We're in the same boat here, but the closer it gets to the draft, the more I doubt we will get a QB in the first. My guess as of now is that Flacco will be the guy, because of how well he fits the vertical offense.

grendel (2/18/2008)
JRob215 (2/18/2008)
grendel (2/18/2008)
Brian Brohm is hands down theh best QB in the draft, but I'm one of the few who thinks he's actually worth a top 5 pick.

We're in the same boat here, but the closer it gets to the draft, the more I doubt we will get a QB in the first. My guess as of now is that Flacco will be the guy, because of how well he fits the vertical offense.

My dream would be to trade DHall for both of Dallas' 1st round picks and get Brohm there (along with another 1st round pick).

Can't say that I completely agree with trading Hall, but I wouldn't be upset if we traded both 2nd rounders to get him.

Matthew Pritts (2/18/2008)
papikaika (2/18/2008)
I have a belief that we will end up with...

Chad Henne.

Yep. Same here. If not him then Flacco.

The hype machine is working overtime with Henne and Flacco. Like someone stated earlier, Henne had a better OL and better weapons than any QB in this draft, and until the last TWO games of the year (the Senior Bowl shouldn't even count, it's one of the most overrated things when evaluating a prospect), Henne was never mentioned. Look at the course of his career, he has continually underachieved and has never lived up to his potential.

Flacco is DII for God's sake. If you're going to knock Brennan for his lack of competition how do you defend Flacco? HE CAN THROW FAR! Great, so can Byron Leftwich, and the similarities between Leftwich and Flacco are scary. Flacco's got a big, slow release and I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's a legit 2nd rounder except his arm strength, which is an overrated stat.

All the QBs in this draft are mediocre, it's just that some are getting a lot of hype (Ryan, Henne, Flacco).

falconva7 (2/18/2008)
papikaika (2/18/2008)

Chad Henne.

The hype machine is working overtime with Henne and Flacco. Like someone stated earlier, Henne had a better OL and better weapons than any QB in this draft, and until the last TWO games of the year (the Senior Bowl shouldn't even count, it's one of the most overrated things when evaluating a prospect), Henne was never mentioned. Look at the course of his career, he has continually underachieved and has never lived up to his potential.

Flacco is DII for God's sake. If you're going to knock Brennan for his lack of competition how do you defend Flacco? HE CAN THROW FAR! Great, so can Byron Leftwich, and the similarities between Leftwich and Flacco are scary. Flacco's got a big, slow release and I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's a legit 2nd rounder except his arm strength, which is an overrated stat.

All the QBs in this draft are mediocre, it's just that some are getting a lot of hype (Ryan, Henne, Flacco).

THANK YOU!!!!!! somebody agrees. None of these qb's, aside from Brian Brohm, are really worthy of being drafted outside of tha first round. A lot of it is hype. soon enough we're bout to start hearing it for Paul Smith. You guys are trying to tell me that Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, or Chad Henne are better than a guy like Brady Quinn who fell in tha draft beyond belief last year???? I think not.

On that note, Kevin O'Connell is my guy. He can be had in tha late rounds, while we pick up key needs in tha earlier rounds.

falconva7 (2/18/2008)
papikaika (2/18/2008)

Chad Henne.

So a 60% comp. rate w/a 2.5:1 TD/INT ratio (87-37) in a pro-style offense is underachieving when it comes to Henne? :blink:

Like I said earlier, I'm glad you're not a scout nor a GM. B/c you don't really want to wait till 2010 to draft a QB do you? B/c the '09 class sucks bigtime!

If his numbers are so fantastic and he played in a pro style offense, why was he on no one's radar until the Senior Bowl? Henne played with far more talent than Brohm and Ryan and didn't live up to his potential. I don't believe we should invest a 2nd round pick in a QB just because we need one when we need OL and DL help and there will be better players at those positions in the 2nd round.

scott24falcs (2/18/2008)
The quote feature on these boards is awful.

I'm not going to predict who we draft, but I'd be schocked if we didn't draft a QB with one of our first 3 picks.

Yeah, sorry about that, I took the quote out of my last post. The spacing is ridiculous.

Anyway, I agree that we will probably take a QB with the first 3 picks, I just don't feel like we should force ourselves to take a QB when we can get better quality picks at other positions of need. In short, I think there will be better OL/DL players available at our first 3 picks than QBs, and I think a lot of the later round QBs in this draft have just as much potential as any of the top 3-4 guys.

thakrunk1 (2/18/2008)

Two things, 1 is that Connell was well known (I think) on these boards before you pointed him out the other day (no offense or anything, just saying). And 2, he's overrated IMO. Brohm put up better YPA, Comp. Pct, and TD/INT ratio than him.

That said, one of these guys are the way I want to go for QB(IMO):

Brohm if we somehow end up with a mid first rounder. If Ellis, Dorsey, Clady, and J. Long are off the board in the 1st, I would go with him there, but I think we can't afford to pass up on one of those 4.

Woodson in the 3rd (if he's there, which it is starting to look like it will be). I know it sounds crazy, but the guy has what it takes between the ears, stuff you can't coach. He has the arm strength and deep accuracy for this system plus good touch. And his delivery problems are overplayed IMO, it can be fixed easier than many think, especially with a good QB coach which we have. Sit him the 1st year and he could be just as good as anyone IMO.

Henne in the 2nd- I don't like him as much as the top 2, mainly because of his shaky completion percentage and YPA, but he has started a lot of games and has a nice TD/INT ratio. It seems he has a few things to work on mechanically, but Bill Musgrave can help with that.

Flacco has the physical tools and seems to have the mental ones, but his YPA, completion percentage, and TD/INT ratio are dangerously average for the level he's playing at (D2). FWIW, Nick Hill out of Southern Illinois, a projected UDFA, has better YPA, comp. %, and TD/INT RT. than Flacco at the same level, in the same conference too I believe (I think we should go after Hill late). But back to Flacco, he just seems like too much of a project to take that high.

Well, there's my opinion on QBs.

grendel (2/18/2008)
falconva7 (2/18/2008)
If his numbers are so fantastic and he played in a pro style offense, why was he on no one's radar until the Senior Bowl? Henne played with far more talent than Brohm and Ryan and didn't live up to his potential. I don't believe we should invest a 2nd round pick in a QB just because we need one when we need OL and DL help and there will be better players at those positions in the 2nd round.

Josh Johnson was being discussed on this board long before the Shrine game.

.....When did I mention anything about Josh Johnson? Josh Johnson has a laundry list of questions too, just like every other QB in this draft.

With the QB situation you might as well toss a coin. Ryan, Brohm, Henne, Flacco, Ainge, Woodson or Booty. I think all these guys are capable. There is no Peyton Manning or any guy that is more of a sure thing than any of the others. The Falcons will pick the guys that is the best fit for what the organization wants to do.

I'll be happy with any one of the seven. They all can play and all have their good and bad points. With what the Falcons put on the field at QB in 2007, any of these guys would bring some hope. Will they actually pan out? Only time will tell. I'm certain we will go down the road and bring on of these guys in on day one.

I genuinely hope we get Josh Johnson. Not because he'll fill some kind of void, but because he's such an incredible passer. His first completion in the East-West Shrine Game came on his first drop back, it was a very quick to develop play, and it was a deep completion down the left sideline, thrown from the right hashmark. That play shows you everything you look for in a pro QB. Quick drop back, fast reaction time, a strong arm, and deep accuracy. He continued and ended up throwing 2 TDs in a game against much better competition than he's used to going against. The kid is about as "pro ready" as it gets, and despite him being in the EXACT SAME CONFERENCE(FCS) as Joe Flacco, people look past him because he doesn't throw 80 yards with a flick of a wrist. Do you guys realize how often QBs will actually have to throw more than 40-50 yards down the field? One play: Hail Mary. The success rate of Hail Mary passes are horrible, as we all know, so not being able to throw the ball 80 yards downfield is irrelevant. Johnson is an extremely polished passer, and even if he ran a 5.2 40, I'd still want him because of his passing ability.

grendel (2/18/2008)
falconva7 (2/18/2008)
grendel (2/18/2008)
falconva7 (2/18/2008)

Josh Johnson was being discussed on this board long before the Shrine game.

.....When did I mention anything about Josh Johnson? Josh Johnson has a laundry list of questions too, just like every other QB in this draft.

Who were you talking about then? Flacco? You think nobody was talking about Flacco until the Senior Bowl?

No, I was talking about Chad Henne. Chad Henne was widely regarded by the "experts" as one of the more mediocre QB prospects until the Florida game and the Senior Bowl. My point is that everyone, in terms of fans and experts like Mayock, Wright, and Kiper, are saying that Henne is a lock to go in the 2nd round and might press for the 2nd QB taken but it's just from one or two performances. When you let someone's performance at the end of the season or in some all-star game blind you it can come back to bite you.

And for the record, I'd rather have Josh Johnson in the 3rd than anyone in rounds 1 or 2.