List of Team Needs

bronn83

1) OL-Quinn Ojinnaka is listed as our starting LT in the depth chart. Wayne Gandy is done. We've neglected this for years and our quarterbacks get sacked as much as anyone in the league. We could even stand to improve at RT, despite Clabo playing as well he did. He's more a guard. And at RG, Forney used to be strong point on the line, but last year and some part of the year beore, he really fell off due to injury. He was often the weakest link on the line last year. We really need to replace two of these three positions, at least-Doug Datish may eventually slide into one of these vacancies.

2) MLB-We're shifting around personnel a little bit, at least. It appears that Keith Brooking will be moved back to the weakside and that Demorrio is gone. Boley is good. We need someone who can play the middle-it's not Travis Taylor, apparently, or anyone else we have here. And Brooking may have two good years left in him, but not more than that. So this will be an issue for a while.

3) DT-With the departure of Rod Coleman, we have another need to fill. Stanley and Trey Lewis filled in pretty well after Grady left, but Babs is the only real UT we have, and he's not really the guy I'd like to see starting 16 games. We could do much better than what we have here.

4a) QB-With improvements on the O-line, we might be able to get a respectable season out of Redman, Harrington, and Shockley-I'm pretty sure if we broke camp with those three guys, we'd change starters at least once or twice. We need a guy we can develop for the future. Joey, I'm convinced, makes poor reads on the line of scrimmage and hesitates way too much, and seldom makes any attempt at avoiding a sack when pressure comes. Redman is decent but his arm strength is very marginal, on a par with Harrington. Shockley has little playing experience even from college, and though his physical tools are solid his accuracy can be scattershot at times. We need someone we can develop for the future whose weaknesses won't be glaring every single game.

4b) RB-Dunn doesn't have a ton of tread left on the tires. Our play calling for the running game last year was attrocious-I could actually hear defensive coordinators from the other team over the broadcast "Hey, they brought in that overpaid underused fullback and lined up in an I. They're going A-Gap right side." Still, we could have used a change of pace back-no one seems to have much confidence in giving Norwood more than like 15 carries a game, so we could really use a bigger guy who could likewise rush about 12-15 times a game.

6) TE-We don't have a real recieving threat at TE on the roster any more. Blakely is a horrible liability in blocking and doesn't even really add that much offensively. Milner has the athleticism but has drop problems and focus problems. We won't get anything in the draft this year, though-the best TE is a fringe first round prospect and the depth at the position is questionable, and we have much more important needs than an elite tight end. Still, we have a void that was not there in previous years.

Astonishingly, I didn't list WR. Roddy White has proven he can play at a high level, Laurent Robinson looks very promising, and Jenkins has played well in the past. And we still have Joe Horn.

I didn't list DB either-I think Milloy might have one good year left in him at SS, and Crocker has played well enough at FS. Deangelo Hall and Chris Houston are a very solid CB tandem, and Jimmy Williams adds some depth. David Irons could probably also start, in a pinch. DB might be the strength of the team right now.

i can agree with most of that. i don't feel that tight-end is going to be utilized in murlarkey's system like it was with YKW and alge.

I know it is a longshot hoping for lighting to strike twice.....two UDFA MLB stars, but i want to see more of tony taylor in the middle. Unless we can pick up Wheeler (my homer tendencies on that one) i would rather wait until next year when the MLB draft is extremely deep. Brooking is still serviceable for one more year if we can get DT to keep the o-line off of him. With all of our needs, we have to decide which ones we can wait until next off-season

CB isn't as terrible as we think. Although we will have a big void to fill if (and i believe when) d-hall leaves, grimes actually played extremely well towards the end of the season when he got in. The biggest problem with him is he has always had the injury bug. never anything serious, but enough to constantly keep him out of practices. If he plays like he did the last two games of the season, him houston and hall will be a force. all of which are still very young.

Stone also looked good in his limited action at SS, but looked very very impressive in ST. he looked like he had a real desire to make an impression and prove himself, the exact opposite of jimmy williams on ST. I think one more year under milloy will prepare him to become a starter when milloy walks.

birds_till_death (2/17/2008)
i can agree with most of that. i don't feel that tight-end is going to be utilized in murlarkey's system like it was with YKW and alge.

I know it is a longshot hoping for lighting to strike twice.....two UDFA MLB stars, but i want to see more of tony taylor in the middle. Unless we can pick up Wheeler (my homer tendencies on that one) i would rather wait until next year when the MLB draft is extremely deep. Brooking is still serviceable for one more year if we can get DT to keep the o-line off of him. With all of our needs, we have to decide which ones we can wait until next off-season

CB isn't as terrible as we think. Although we will have a big void to fill if (and i believe when) d-hall leaves, grimes actually played extremely well towards the end of the season when he got in. The biggest problem with him is he has always had the injury bug. never anything serious, but enough to constantly keep him out of practices. If he plays like he did the last two games of the season, him houston and hall will be a force. all of which are still very young.

Stone also looked good in his limited action at SS, but looked very very impressive in ST. he looked like he had a real desire to make an impression and prove himself, the exact opposite of jimmy williams on ST. I think one more year under milloy will prepare him to become a starter when milloy walks.

yea we should see what we have with taylor at MLB this year and then we could possibly take one next year in the first or second depending on what pick we get. i hope we get the 32nd pick (and i dont mean by trade either)

1- I'd like to see Datish slide in somewhere too. Think he could be a good anchor for this team at the C. Clabo is a great guy to have on the roster. He can play anywhere. Looking forward to seeing some more of Foster too. Hope he is back in time for camp.

With the correct amount of shuffling and maybe a Max Starks or Jake Long pickup- the line could be in good shape.

Weiner/Starks - Forney/Clabo/Quarterman - Datish/McClure - Blalock - Long/Foster/Clabo

or some combination like that. Looks better than it ever has really.

2- Its Tony Taylor and I wouldnt be surprised if the spot is his to lose. Boley - Taylor - Brooking is a nice set of LBs across the middle. All are athletic and Taylor has a nose for the ball like you wouldnt believe. Having Vangorder in at D Coord. really helps Tony T's case as well. Van Gorder coached him at UGA, and was his LB coach here last year.

LB is one position where I don't expect to see any marquee signing. I think our starters are already on the roster.

3- Think Smith can lure another Bulldog over here? M. Stroud would look great in the red and black.

4a- QB is the one position that I would make no move towards this year. Let Harrington, Shock and Redman play out the year behind this revamped OL. That said, if Ainge fell to the 3rd- I would grab him there in a second. Cutcliffe makes good NFL QBs.

4b- I would look at Alley Broussard in the very late rounds. He used to be a punishing back. Not sure what really happened to him. With the right coaching and the right scheme- I am sure he could find his game again. Another I like is Green Ellis from Ole Miss. Even Lumpkin from UGA as UDFA. I am partial to SEC backs as I think they see speed on defense in the SEC that is closer to the NFL game than in any other conference. I just like their chances much better.

5- Good thing about the TE situation is that we already have 2 serviceable pass catchers on the roster. A blocking TE is pretty easy to come by in the late rounds of the draft- heck just draft a lousy tackle. ha.

What was the kid 2 years ago that never could seem to crack the roster? Was it Fells? I liked him. Maybe they will call him up. He seemed to be the complete package, just really raw.

As far as the secondary goes- like some of the young guys that are out there. Stone and Williams could be very good for us. I hope they hang on to Milloy. A team needs a captain and a leader and I think Milloy is best suited to fill that role. He can still play and he is a locker room guy.

The Quinn Ojinnaka thing blows me away. I loved that pick back at the time when we were running the ZBS. Last year, I'm not sure I saw an offensive lineman play worse than him, though. He was a false start machine (particularly relative to playing time), he got whipped at the line of scrimmage and his run blocking wasn't the level I had expected. The fact that the new GM has singled him out as a key aspect of our rebuilding the line is...well, I keep waiting to wake up from a bad dream.

jidady (2/17/2008)
The Quinn Ojinnaka thing blows me away. I loved that pick back at the time when we were running the ZBS. Last year, I'm not sure I saw an offensive lineman play worse than him, though. He was a false start machine (particularly relative to playing time), he got whipped at the line of scrimmage and his run blocking wasn't the level I had expected. The fact that the new GM has singled him out as a key aspect of our rebuilding the line is...well, I keep waiting to wake up from a bad dream.

i think both of our lines will be the first thing fixed up this year. probably offensive line in FA and defensive line during the draft. with the coleman release im almost 100% sure we will take dorsey or ellis.

Need #1: Left Tackle.

Why? Because it's the premiere position on the offensive line who is responsible for keeping the quarterback clean, and we just gave up 47 sacks last season. Oh, and not to mention the fact that the only LT that we have left on the roster who might actually make the final 53 man roster is under 300 pounds. Quinn Ojinnaka is a backup at best, 3rd stringer normally. If we don't draft a LT with one of our first 3 picks, we're screwed for another season unless we move Clabo to LT and try getting a RT.

Need #2: 3-Technique DT

Wanna see our current depth at this position? 1. Jonathan Babineaux 2. Nobody. We only have one 3-technique on our entire roster. We need one to not only take over for Rod but to beat out Jonny Babs for the starting spot.

Need #3: Nose Guard

Current starter Montavius Stanley actually finished the season pretty well, but should not be any higher on the depth chart than 2nd string. I'm convinced that Trey Lewis is a 3-Technique despite his girth, but he could probably play either position with success. Simply put, we need a true run stuffer, not a 'tweener.

Need #4: Right Guard

Yeah, so, in case you missed it, Kynan Forney regressed, BIG TIME. He gets blown up on 3 out of every 4 plays, sometimes all 4 of them. Our backup, D'Anthony Batiste, is even WORSE. We need a mauler here. Somebody like a Roy Schuenning or Branden Albert would be great.

Need #5: Quarterback

This is obvious, but I'm not convinced that Chris Redman can't take us to and through the playoffs. I'd honestly rather have Redman than Matt Ryan in a 1-on-1 comparison, and I just don't understand why everybody is so freaking high on Ryan. Redman has solid arm strength, ridiculous accuracy, and a great sense of timing. He also has something that Joey Heisman doesn't; an internal clock! I don't think QB is as much of a need that everybody thinks it is. Just give the QB we currently have some more time in the pocket and we've become a pro offense again. ****, look what he did with the little makeshift line we had going on against Seattle.

Need #6: Center

Again, like with Kynan Forney, Todd McClure gets BLOWN UP at the snap on some plays. The only reason Center is listed after QB is because on the plays that he doesn't get blown up, he's usually a pretty decent blocker. He's just so small, though, we can't risk our QB getting tackled before a play even develops. See: Tennesee game, 4th and goal, Byron Leftwich pitch to Warrick Dunn, blown up because Hayesworth leapfrogged McClure and grabbed Byron before he could get the pitch off. That wouldn't happen with a bigger, stronger center.

Need #7: Middle Linebacker

I have this ranked so low because I think that with a better pair of DTs on the defensive front that we can give Tony Taylor a real shot at the MLB position and move Keith back to his natural weakside LB position. With the two DTs beating up blockers, it'll give our LBs free range to make plays.

Need #8: Running Back

Let's face it, we need a workhorse. When I say workhorse, I don't mean Darren McFadden. He couldn't even handle the full load in college, there's no way he's a workhorse back in the NFL. I'm talking somebody like Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart, or even one of the 3 undersized backs(Slaton/Hart/Rice). All I know is that we need somebody who has leg drive, toughness, determination, and hands.

Need #9: Kicker

Yeah, this one's pretty obvious. Hasn't been a stable position since Jay Feely, and even then, he sucked with us.

Welcome to Atlanta (2/17/2008)

Yeah, this one's pretty obvious. Hasn't been a stable position since Jay Feely, and even then, he sucked with us.

Can't believe I forgot to list that. Yes, definately a kicker. We need to have the confidence that if we can reach the 35 and in, we've got points on the board no matter what. I think part of the issue last year was when we got into that area across the fifty and creeping toward the 40 and 35 yard line, our guys were still forced to try to get another 10-15 yards just to get a field goal. It hurt the play calling somewhat, and it can be demoralizing if you have a drived starting from the 20, gain 45 yards in eight plays over four and a half minutes, and you're still faced with either punting from the 36, going for a fourth and five, or watching Michael Koenen shank a field goal into the cheerleaders.

As for the rest, I agree with you entire, though I lumped in the OL together as a unit while pointing out LT and RG as positions of need. I still think McClure would be all right with some decent guards on either side of him, despite his size. And we have Doug Datish who might take over at C sometime this year or next, so I wouldn't call it a need just yet.

I also didn't distinguish between a nose tackle and three-technique, even though we need both. At nose we could probably make due, at need, with what we have, but having a three to start and push Babs to second string is definately a must. Glen Dorsey for the Falcons!

I don't want a scat-back. Norwood basically is a scat-back, and he's very good at it. He could be a dangerous man, used properly. I want someone like Mendenhall, who, in my wildest dreams woudl fall to us at 35, but in reality, will be gone in the teens.

And also, the prospect of drafting Ryan makes me really ill. He could very well be Alex Smith part II-a guy the team is married to financially but obviously isn't the answer, forcing you into cap **** for three years.

jidady (2/17/2008)

Have you got a link to that Ojinnarka info? Not doubting you, just I hadn't read anything about it. Maybe they like his freakishly long arms!!! lol

Yah I could list this or that guy- but let's face it- we need a team. That's 22 starters, back-ups and kickers. The key is that they all blend salary wise and cap wise by frugal FA hunting and skillful drafting and then replacing many of those draftees down the road with younger guys with lower cap needs.

It's all about the formula- not this guy or that guy. Every time you monkey with a variable you have to consider the whole as it stands in 2008 and the next few years also. It's why we needed to hire TD, along with McKAy and any cap wunderkin we have.

This seems to be a fairly good analysis of the current status of our team.

Welcome to Atlanta (2/17/2008)
Need #1: Left Tackle.

Why? Because it's the premiere position on the offensive line who is responsible for keeping the quarterback clean, and we just gave up 47 sacks last season. Oh, and not to mention the fact that the only LT that we have left on the roster who might actually make the final 53 man roster is under 300 pounds. Quinn Ojinnaka is a backup at best, 3rd stringer normally. If we don't draft a LT with one of our first 3 picks, we're screwed for another season unless we move Clabo to LT and try getting a RT.

I don't think we need to move Clabo. We need to get a LT.

Need #2: 3-Technique DT

Wanna see our current depth at this position? 1. Jonathan Babineaux 2. Nobody. We only have one 3-technique on our entire roster. We need one to not only take over for Rod but to beat out Jonny Babs for the starting spot.

Need #3: Nose Guard

Current starter Montavius Stanley actually finished the season pretty well, but should not be any higher on the depth chart than 2nd string. I'm convinced that Trey Lewis is a 3-Technique despite his girth, but he could probably play either position with success. Simply put, we need a true run stuffer, not a 'tweener.

I'll admit that my knowledge of techniques is not very well versed. Either way, we need more DT's. With the cutting of Coleman, we're hurting in the middle.

Need #4: Right Guard

Yeah, so, in case you missed it, Kynan Forney regressed, BIG TIME. He gets blown up on 3 out of every 4 plays, sometimes all 4 of them. Our backup, D'Anthony Batiste, is even WORSE. We need a mauler here. Somebody like a Roy Schuenning or Branden Albert would be great.

Our O-Line is easily our weakest link. Lots of picks and/or offseason moves should be made to change that.

Need #5: Quarterback

This is obvious, but I'm not convinced that Chris Redman can't take us to and through the playoffs. I'd honestly rather have Redman than Matt Ryan in a 1-on-1 comparison, and I just don't understand why everybody is so freaking high on Ryan. Redman has solid arm strength, ridiculous accuracy, and a great sense of timing. He also has something that Joey Heisman doesn't; an internal clock! I don't think QB is as much of a need that everybody thinks it is. Just give the QB we currently have some more time in the pocket and we've become a pro offense again. ****, look what he did with the little makeshift line we had going on against Seattle.

I think Redman will do okay for another season or two, but he's not a long-term solution at that position. I like the prospect of Joe Flacco. He's not a Day One starter, but I think he's got more potential than Matt Ryan. If he can be brought in and mentored for a year or two, I think he's got a chance at turning into a franchise QB.

Need #6: Center

Again, like with Kynan Forney, Todd McClure gets BLOWN UP at the snap on some plays. The only reason Center is listed after QB is because on the plays that he doesn't get blown up, he's usually a pretty decent blocker. He's just so small, though, we can't risk our QB getting tackled before a play even develops. See: Tennesee game, 4th and goal, Byron Leftwich pitch to Warrick Dunn, blown up because Hayesworth leapfrogged McClure and grabbed Byron before he could get the pitch off. That wouldn't happen with a bigger, stronger center.

I'd like to see what a healthy Datish could do before I list this as a need right now.

Need #7: Middle Linebacker

I have this ranked so low because I think that with a better pair of DTs on the defensive front that we can give Tony Taylor a real shot at the MLB position and move Keith back to his natural weakside LB position. With the two DTs beating up blockers, it'll give our LBs free range to make plays.

As much as I like Brooking and liked our starting lineup at LB last year, we need to make an upgrade at MLB. As already listed, Taylor should get a shot here. If enough potential isn't seen during mini-camp, we need to make a play.

Need #8: Running Back

Let's face it, we need a workhorse. When I say workhorse, I don't mean Darren McFadden. He couldn't even handle the full load in college, there's no way he's a workhorse back in the NFL. I'm talking somebody like Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart, or even one of the 3 undersized backs(Slaton/Hart/Rice). All I know is that we need somebody who has leg drive, toughness, determination, and hands.

Yes. We need another RB. I'd just assume Dunn get cut/traded/retire/whatever. Get a RB - heck, hope we get the #3 pick and can work a trade with Dallas for Barber.

I'd love to get Coutou (sp?), but a solid K is my only real want - names are unimportant.