The Browns' scouts are preparing for the draft as if the team has a first-round pick

atljbo

Savage: 'You never know what can happen'

Jeff Schudel, JSchudel@News-Herald.com

02/17/2008

NFL notes: Browns GM is instructing scouts to prepare as if the team has a first-round draft pick

Advertisement

Hernia Center

For the first time since 1989, the Browns platoon of personnel directors, scouts and coaches is heading to the NFL scouting combine without a first-round choice to spend in the upcoming draft.

No one in the organization regrets trading its first-round pick in 2008 to the Cowboys last year so the Browns could draft Brady Quinn, but for a team that believes it is close to contending for a playoff spot and more, it will be difficult watching from the sideline on April 26 while other teams pick off the top 31 players in the first round. It would be 32, but the Patriots were stripped of their first-round pick as punishment for Spygate.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and April 26.

"The staff has been instructed to scout as if we have all of our picks, particularly our number one pick," General Manager Phil Savage said recently. "You never know what can happen."

Would you trade our first round pick for DA and there 2nd round pick

i would make that trade for Quin, their second, and possibly a late second day pick. I would rate Quinn as a 22nd pick seeing as he hasn't played much and that is where he was drafted. i see Quinn as having MUCH more potential than the other Qb's in this draft.

That would give us three seconds, with the ability to draft a solid LT, and trevor laws or red bryant at DT and allowing us to possibly pick up Wheeler or a bruiser back. Although i know dorsey and ellis are elite talents, i think we would be much better served get Quinn and still be able to solidy the lines. much better than getting dorsey or ellis and then henne, ainge, flacco, johnson, etc.. IMO

jidady (2/17/2008)
So, they traded away a future first rounder in order to secure the QB position and now they're going to get it back through the guy who secured the QB position? Very strange.

i never said it was probable, i just said i would be willing to make the trade for quinn. i think it's become obvious we are running out of stuff to talk about until the combine and the draft.

Oh, I had no problem with your post. In fact, I thought it showed a lot of good legwork. I was commenting about the madness of what Cleveland would have effectively done over a calendar year. It's like the Braves trading for multiple center fielders in a short period of time. It's great if it works out, but it's a quick back-track for a GM to make.

atljbo (2/17/2008)
Savage: 'You never know what can happen'

Jeff Schudel, JSchudel@News-Herald.com

02/17/2008

NFL notes: Browns GM is instructing scouts to prepare as if the team has a first-round draft pick

Advertisement

Hernia Center

For the first time since 1989, the Browns platoon of personnel directors, scouts and coaches is heading to the NFL scouting combine without a first-round choice to spend in the upcoming draft.

No one in the organization regrets trading its first-round pick in 2008 to the Cowboys last year so the Browns could draft Brady Quinn, but for a team that believes it is close to contending for a playoff spot and more, it will be difficult watching from the sideline on April 26 while other teams pick off the top 31 players in the first round. It would be 32, but the Patriots were stripped of their first-round pick as punishment for Spygate.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and April 26.

"The staff has been instructed to scout as if we have all of our picks, particularly our number one pick," General Manager Phil Savage said recently. "You never know what can happen."

Would you trade our first round pick for DA and there 2nd round pick

no,instead of doing that lets use our draft picks build a solid oline.