When did our safeties become a problem?

Kayoh

I'm starting to see people that think that Safety is a problem position for us...let me just say that it's absolutely not.

Strong Safety is probably one of the most solid positions on our entire roster. Lawyer Milloy has been and will be the heart and soul of this defense for at least another year or two, and when he does retire(as a FALCON), we have Daren Stone waiting in the wings, who is also a playmaker.

Free Safety is a tricky one, but Chris Crocker...wow. The dude has truly stepped up and become a very good FS in the 2007 season. If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch the Seattle game. He was flying around everywhere, he laid out 2-3 Seahawks, and he batted down a bunch of balls too. The one deep completion that Seattle had was on the left sideline over Chris Houston where Crocker wouldn't have been able to catch up even if he knew what the play was at the snap. Oh yeah, and did I mention Jimmy Wiliams, who could very easily still end up being a great safety? He has a lousy rookie(yes, he was a rookie at FS) season at a position and you guys are ready to declare him a bust. I'm guessing those are the same people who think Jamaal is a bust, but whatever.

Basically, safety is far from a need for us. Both of them.

Guest Libid21

Crocker might not even get re-signed. We want Jimmy Williams to fill in at that position, but I think Crocker is a better fit at the SS position. I never heard anyone claim that the safeties were a problem though, it might just be you. The ones I even heard the word safety in were the mock drafts that wanted depth brought in to our secondary which is understandable.

Everything I've heard states that Crocker almost definitely will not get a new contract. We really need a better coverage safety than Crocker, anyway, he just looked bad in a few games such as against New York. That being said, I'm not suggesting we spend any our first day picks on a safety, but we could improve.

OMG! Are all of you blind with seeing-eye dogs that bark your responses for you to type?! WE'VE BEEN OUT OF THE LOOP AT THE SAFETY POSITION FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG!!! Jimmy Williams IS.......NOT........A.......PRO.........BOWL........SAFETY!!! And safety play affects dime and nickel back play!!! Have you seen the caliber of safety all of the recent Super Bowl winners had? o.k.......WE DON'T HAVE THAT!!! Wonder why we were trying so hard to get LaRon Landry last year?! hmmmmmmmm.....let's think about it!!!!!....

Well, if Crocker isn't back, then we have a problem. Plus, while our safeties weren't a problem, they weren't a plus either. Our safeties don't strike fear into opposing QBs or WRs. I mean, QBs think twice when they go against players like Reed, Sanders, Polamalu, and WRs think twice when they go against Williams, Dawkins, (used to be Sean Taylor) etc and we don't have a guy like that. Plus, a good safety, like Adrian Wilson acts like a 4th linebacker and provides over the top help. Our safeties aren't that great at stopping the run.

Well the thing is that we don't know what we have with Stone. I don't think he played more than 10 snaps outside of special teams. Jimmy has all the potential in the world but again, we don't know what he can do as a starter. I'm really hoping that Jimmy turns into the FS we all think he can though, I was very excited when we drafted him even though it was at CB. Anyways, as previously mentioned it doesn't seem as though Crocker will be back with us next year and Milloy isn't going to be around for much longer either. We will need help at both the S positions and soon.